Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #43
ryansalazan24

Drives: 2017 Cadillac ATS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Just a quick update...

Day 5, almost 300 miles of driving, no check engine light yet.

I asked cooper1965 if he might be able to help out sourcing the connectors for the jumper harness as he works at a dealer and might be able to see stuff that I can't... We've gone back and forth with each other for about 4 days now, and what seemed like a mess due to some GM screw ups at first, after hours of searching, contacting, searching, etc. I'm pretty sure I have all the correct connectors to make a jumper harness on the way to me now. Thank you cooper1965 for all of your help, I couldn't have done it without you!

All in all, I've got about 4-6 orders of random connectors that should be showing up within the next few days, one of them is bound to work, and should hopefully assuming I get everything I ordered, and everything fits, should have a nice jump harness to add to the mix early-mid next week.

Awesome news! Please let me know when these are available!
ryansalazan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #44
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Just a quick update...

Day 5, almost 300 miles of driving, no check engine light yet.

I asked cooper1965 if he might be able to help out sourcing the connectors for the jumper harness as he works at a dealer and might be able to see stuff that I can't... We've gone back and forth with each other for about 4 days now, and what seemed like a mess due to some GM screw ups at first, after hours of searching, contacting, searching, etc. I'm pretty sure I have all the correct connectors to make a jumper harness on the way to me now. Thank you cooper1965 for all of your help, I couldn't have done it without you!

All in all, I've got about 4-6 orders of random connectors that should be showing up within the next few days, one of them is bound to work, and should hopefully assuming I get everything I ordered, and everything fits, should have a nice jump harness to add to the mix early-mid next week.

Don't let Jason fool you guys!!!!. He did all the hard work, no doubt. I fumbled around with some bad part#'s and helped GM fix a cataloging error, LOL..

I'm just exited this is getting closer to market, and with a plug-n-play harness, literally anyone should be able to install this problem free. It's great to hear there is no check engine light!!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #45
geoffchad

Drives: 2013 ATS M6, 95 Z28 Conv M6 turbo
Were you guys able to get the connector manufacturer part numbers for pins/housings/glands instead of having to buy bits and bobs from GM?
geoffchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #46
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffchad View Post
Were you guys able to get the connector manufacturer part numbers for pins/housings/glands instead of having to buy bits and bobs from GM?
Nothing is coming from GM, all manufacturer supplier stuff. If I bought all GM connectors, the harness itself would cost about $100, can't have that and keep the price down. Then again, GM doesn't even seem to offer one of the connectors, so I had to search around.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #47
geoffchad

Drives: 2013 ATS M6, 95 Z28 Conv M6 turbo
Quote:
Nothing is coming from GM, all manufacturer supplier stuff. If I bought all GM connectors, the harness itself would cost about $100, can't have that and keep the price down. Then again, GM doesn't even seem to offer one of the connectors, so I had to search around.
Ok good, wanted to make sure. I can't even say how many times I've sent pics of connectors to vendors asking them to identify the connector housing/seals/pins, but they usually do it for me so it's good to keep them around.

In terms of actual functional performance, do you have a feeling for actuation time of the valves of new vs stock, or are they equal?
geoffchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #48
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffchad View Post
Ok good, wanted to make sure. I can't even say how many times I've sent pics of connectors to vendors asking them to identify the connector housing/seals/pins, but they usually do it for me so it's good to keep them around.

In terms of actual functional performance, do you have a feeling for actuation time of the valves of new vs stock, or are they equal?
If you're asking about the time it takes for the piston to open, they are probably very similar, our valve may open slightly slower, due to the heavier spring pressure, and I'm sure there is slightly more weight that the solenoid is pulling open, as well as drag because of the extra seal. But to the naked eye, difference is negligible if any at all.

If you're asking about the amount of time open vs closed, it should be the same, as the ecm still controls both, so how ever its rigged up in the tune is how it will be.

With any luck we will have a nice harness made by the end of next week. Parts will be showing up Monday, and Wednesday next week.

*EDIT* Also, I'll have to keep an eye on this to confirm if it's actually a bonus perk or not, but I filled up today and I was at 24.9 mpg... The last 3 tanks prior to putting the new prototype on have been 23.5, which seems be be consistently where it runs at. This is on my normal daily commute, about 50 miles a day driving to work and back home, along with driving around town doing mail drop offs, lunch etc. The previous tanks couple tanks I have done no 0-60 or 0-100 runs, this 24.9 tank included multiple 0-60 runs, random bursts of acceleration and two 0-100 runs. I'm thinking perhaps the engine isn't working as hard because its seeing boost earlier.

Also, I sent my tuner some logs, he seems to think the valve is causing overboosting, but not enough to throw a check engine light. He thinks perhaps a lower boost number can be commanded to achieve the same normal boost, but will lower the intake air temps.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 08-10-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #49
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

I'm super exited to share this, and quite frankly amazed at the results I am seeing!!
I got a chance to review a few log files from Jason.
One bone stock LTG 0-100 pull (top file)
One bone stock LTG 0-100 pull with nothing more than the Jacfab valve (bottom file)(Same car btw)
Conditions were pretty much identical in these two pulls. Right out of the gate I noticed the Jacfab valve was holding anywhere from 1.5 lbs to 2+lbs more boost ALL the way through the major powerband! Hell, even At 100MPH, the car was up 20ft/lb's of torque, and was holding a steady 2 lbs of boost more than stock. I am seeing the same gains or more, as early as 3300 RPM's, and holding tight all the way to the top. Keep in mind these are BONE stock un-tuned. The only thing changed to produce these gains, was the Jacfab valve. Crazy!
Here is a screenshot for reference:
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 09-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #50
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
GIVE US THE PART ALREADY!!! YOUR TORTURING ME!!!
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #51
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojeep95 View Post
GIVE US THE PART ALREADY!!! YOUR TORTURING ME!!!
We are super close. We have a lot going on this month, we have damn near finalized everything, I have parts and materials on order to build the first short run batch of these.

We are going to be starting an automated "durability" testing hopefully this weekend, after I get the "simulator" programmed. We will be doing a video on this showing further detail on the testing, which will basically be cycling the valve until it fails, or until it reaches a predetermined number (say 10,000 cycles, which would equate to me driving to work from my home or vice versa appx 153.84 days, assuming my car was a manual with an estimated 65 shifts one way, and assuming the valve cycled at every shift)...

To add to that, I've put about 1500 miles on the last version of the prototype, and have yet to get a check engine light on a stock tune, stock car. About 200 miles since I've put on a catless downpipe, and we are trying to build a new tune to suit, no check engine lights.

We are also shooting to rent a mobile dyno later this month and get it set up for testing also, hoping we can back up some of these numbers we're seeing on the logs with some info at the wheels.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 09-05-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #52
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Thats amazing the ECU doesn't kick in and ruin the party or set off a CEL. How will this work on a stock tune with all of the bolt-on's on the car? Better results? Same results? Also, I'm not tuned yet (incredibly), but what about those that are tuned? Do you need to re-tune the car? Would it be dangerous not to re-tune it with the added boost? Sorry for all the questions...
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #53
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Here is another SS showing one area's gain in Boost . Crazy its holding that much more PSI at those speeds on the stock tune, but still manages to fall within stock PCM parameters.
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 09-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #54
ryansalazan24

Drives: 2017 Cadillac ATS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Here is another SS showing one area's gain in Boost . Crazy its holding that much more PSI at those speeds on the stock tune, but still manages to fall within stock PCM parameters.
Wow I'm so excited for this! Please let me know when its available! I'l even about to start doing a dyno here soon with a before and after dyno of the turbo bay turbo!
ryansalazan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #55
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
Count me in

I have an Injen CAI and am getting my tune from Vermont Tuning this weekend. This seems to me to be an easy next step along with E85. Trying not to get overly excited.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #56
raflyer

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
You'll be fine stock or tuned it shouldn't set of a CEL because it's not actually changing anything. I've had extensive discussions with jason on this product. The stock bypass valve naturally leaks anywhere from 4 to 8 lbs. Of boost GM knows this and they compensate for it in their stock tuning. My stock boost was set to like 29psi which is f@#$in insane. All my dyno charts have read from 20 to 22.xx psi without ever adjusting boost both before and after i was tuned. For extensively modded and tuned cars you may need to adjust your boost parameters to avoid issues but that's as simple as adjusting to not allowing it to hit over 25psi. I'm not a tuning expert but that's where I've been figuring issues could arise and what i may test out to see. I also have a hard time believing engine management systems don't have failsafes to prevent you from going to high stock and unless turned off in a tune they should still be there. These cars are mostly driven by torque management tables to my knowledge.
How did you know your stock boost was set to 29psi? What parameter where you looking at? I have looked at stock tunes in the 2016 Camaro, 2018 CTS, and 2014,15 ATS. None were commanding a boost level that high. But of course as you know there are allot of variables that come into play. What would be interesting is to see your desired boost number, current baro, and WG Sol%, and actual boost. Then and only then would you know what the affects were.
raflyer is offline   Reply With Quote