Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Is it illegal

I was recently told that switching an exhaust to one without cats or mufflers is illegal!?! Is this a PA State Law? If it is illegal, how do most of you out there, that switched to an aftermarket exhaust w/ out cats or mufflers pass inspections?

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
HawkGirl
COTW 11/18/2013

Drives: 750-HP ZL1 Carbon
It's state by state...no inspection in Florida! (Although I don't know what to do when I move out of state eventually)
Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
I was recently told that switching an exhaust to one without cats or mufflers is illegal!?! Is this a PA State Law? If it is illegal, how do most of you out there, that switched to an aftermarket exhaust w/ out cats or mufflers pass inspections?
Mufflers is dependent on state. Yes it's illegal to remove cats though. Regardless of state.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

So can I still get the sound i want with the M...2.0 exhaust most people are suggesting for the V6? Or is there no point in wasting the money?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
So can I still get the sound i want with the M...2.0 exhaust most people are suggesting for the V6? Or is there no point in wasting the money?
How are the laws in your state? What sound do you want? You can still swap in the mrt v2. The only state I think you may get harassed in is california. But don't quote me on that. Having said that, just because its illegal doesn't mean we don't do it

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Any CHP officer can pull you over and look under your hood if you are on a public road. not too many times that will happen. The smog stations will do a visual and maybe a OBD.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

I will have to research a little more for PA's specific laws. Thanks for the help

Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
smokinz

Drives: 2010 1lt 1994 z28
For cats- In PA, depending what county, you have to pass emissions testing which is done via the OBD connection. There is also a visual inspection done to make sure all emission system are "there". By "there" I mean it is possible to fool them with say a cover from a cat welded in place to make it look like it has one(or hollow a cat out). As long as it is tuned not throw codes or possibly to fool the emissions test, then you should be good.

For muffler- PA law says there has to be a device in place that quiets the exhaust. It does not say how much it has to quiet the exhaust, and this is only visual as well(no testing done for decibel levels).

There is also an exemption for cars that drive less than 5000 miles per year. If you fall into that , then you can take every piece of emissions out you wish and be good!

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...bchapctoc.html
smokinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
There is also an exemption for cars that drive less than 5000 miles per year. If you fall into that , then you can take every piece of emissions out you wish and be good!

Thats hard to believe, less than 5K?
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Removing any emission-control devices (such as catalytic converters) from a vehicle so-equipped is a federal crime.

See you all in Alcatraz.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I have all my cars registered in the state of Kansas. No emissions, no testing, nothing.

I've been running long tubes, catless midpipe, and resonator tips for 5 years now and never had an issue.

It really depends on your state

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
You can go with Hi Flow cats that have a non restrictive race design.

Also, in most states, if you fail emissions, you are required to either get the car to pass, or spend a certain amount in the process. for example, in the Peoples Republic of Marylandistan, the figure was $200.
What this means, at least to a race driving enthusiast, is that when you are ordered by the state to do up to $200 in repairs, you can do ANYthing that may help contribute to better emmissions, such as a new set of Granetelli 0 Ohm wires, or a V-Max ported throttle body, and then you can write this amount off on your taxes.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
cntryman77

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
short answer, even changing a perfectly working catalytic converter is a federal crime...most times you can get away from it though as most people will tell you...I got pulled over once for a noise violation & considered fighting it, but since I have long tubes & no cats, I decided paying the fine was better than chancing an inspection & worse fines
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
alv927

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs dusk edition
If you buy exhaust cut outs you'll achieve a great sound and when you need emission testing you'll still have your cats in. "yes" it is illegal if your state has emissions testing.
alv927 is offline   Reply With Quote