Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
CRISSIS

Drives: '14 ZL1 'Vert - Black, #742
Question for 'vert ZL1 owners

I am considering upgrading my SS 'vert to a ZL1. Question for current owners, do you ever regret not getting the coupe? As much as I love the ZL1 conceptually I am wondering how often the benefits over the SS actually present themselves in a car that will see nothing but public roads. One advantage of the coupe is the ability to run it at the track which, to my understanding, is generally not an option for the convertible. I guess the question boils down to how valuable do you owners find the benefits of the ZL1 specific to the convertible. Thanks all
CRISSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
robrocketanski

Drives: ZL1 Convertible Auto
I am disappointed about it. I think it would be "healthier" if I could play legally in some sort of off road environment because now I am constantly trying to play on the street which is going to get me in trouble eventually.

But, I live one block from one of the best cruise strips in the country and it is a lot of fun And I have found that even not driving crazy fast the ZL1 is still amazing to drive. Just cruising around top down at the speed limit is still fun.
robrocketanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
robrocketanski

Also, I don't think I would have the time or motivation for much legitimate racing or track use. I can enjoy the car on a Friday and Saturday night when ever I feel like it. I don't think I would get to a track very often.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
CRISSIS

Great points. I love cruising around with the top down in my SS with NPP rumbling. Do you ever wish you'd just gone with the SS and saved $15 grand?
Old 06-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I had a 2011 2SS/RS convertible when they came out, and moved up to the 2013 ZL1 convertible the day THEY came out and LOVE it.

I can tell you the ZL1 is a totally different car than the SS. It's more than just the additional HP and the mag ride. It's a whole different package.

I use mine as a dd during the summer months. Do I wish I could take it to the track once in a great while? sure.

Some road tracks allow convertibles, and a very few drag strips will allow convertibles, but the minute the top goes down, the grin goes on.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
97ChameleonTA

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
I love being able to rip down the dragstrip outrunning trailered cars then put the top down for the cruise home. The coupe has the PTM modes but the 'verts have the fun factor covered for everyday street use.

New times to come with E85

2016 2SS Auto - Hyper Blue Metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
97ChameleonTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
robrocketanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRISSIS View Post
Great points. I love cruising around with the top down in my SS with NPP rumbling. Do you ever wish you'd just gone with the SS and saved $15 grand?

No.

And I wish it even less when I blip the pedal and shoot a few car lengths because cruising slow got boring.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
robrocketanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ChameleonTA View Post
The coupe has the PTM modes but the 'verts have the fun factor covered for everyday street use.
I am looking into which module(s) have the PTM info to see if I can reprogram them from a coupe into mine. I can always put it back if I need to. Job perk.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRISSIS View Post
I am considering upgrading my SS 'vert to a ZL1. Question for current owners, do you ever regret not getting the coupe? As much as I love the ZL1 conceptually I am wondering how often the benefits over the SS actually present themselves in a car that will see nothing but public roads. One advantage of the coupe is the ability to run it at the track which, to my understanding, is generally not an option for the convertible. I guess the question boils down to how valuable do you owners find the benefits of the ZL1 specific to the convertible. Thanks all
I do wish once in a while I could take it to track BUT no regrets. I dunno about your area but just ask yourself. How many times would you really track it versus how many beautiful morning rides or how many afternoon runs around town or the best part how awesome nights cruising thru town top down enjoying the air would you have??? Everytime I start wishing I could take it to track I put the top down and go for a cruise and say to myself eff the track!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
Mishaman68

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
NO, ZERO, NADA, regrets!
The car is a joy with the top up or down. Unless you plan on going 180mph (which could be fun with top down) you wont regret it.
Same beastly performance but with better tanning abilities!
Best sports car purchase I've made yet I assure you.
Mishaman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
CRISSIS

I'd ask the last two posters - based on how you drive the car, do you ever second guess not buying an SS 'vert? Respectable street power and same top down tanning feature! If not, why do you think the Sunday drive in your Z bests a morning tooling around in the SS?

Thanks again for the comments guys!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
ZL1 'vert > SS 'vert. Always.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
CRISSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
ZL1 'vert > SS 'vert. Always.
Oh, I would never dispute that point, I guess the crux of the question is asking whether people feel they are using the advantages that the Z offers in the convertible platform. Or, is the convertible experience such that the performance upgrades are marginalized.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Only regret is not being able to drive it more!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote