Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
I wonder if there is a fuse one could pull to disable this.... ?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Disable your air bags? You first.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Disable your air bags? You first.
I wouldn't do it on the street.

However on the track an inadvertent air bag depolyment could CAUSE a crash. In the OP's case if I'm reading it right the air bag deployment caused him to go off track. He's lucky he just mowed some grass. He could have ended up in a wall.

If inadvertent air bag deployment is a risk I think I'd rather take my chances with just the seat belt.

Also, if its just the side curtains that are the problem, perhaps there would be a way to only disable those.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
So the $1m question is...what's this going to cost you? What parts get wrecked?
I know if all airbags deploy in the Camaro they cost $10k to replace. Not sure on just side airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
I wonder if there is a fuse one could pull to disable this.... ?
Yes there is. It is located in the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
wow
Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I know if all airbags deploy in the Camaro they cost $10k to replace. Not sure on just side airbags.

Yes there is. It is located in the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash.
But be cautious with even doing that. Some control modules maintain power even after the power is pulled, in case you were to have a crash and all electrical power cut out. Just not sure how long that is. I read this in one of GM's tech brochures they use to teach techs about general air bag operations. Once I get the answer from the technician who likely is the guy who is fixing mine, I'll confirm what has to be done. Not the Camaro, but another Chevy model.

WARNING: SDM maintains sufficient voltage to cause air bag deployment for up to 10
minutes after ignition switch is turned OFF, battery is disconnected, or
fuse powering SDM is removed. In order to begin servicing immediately,
inflator modules must be removed from deployment loop.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
1st Mistake was admitting to being at the track. Should have towed it home cleaned off the grass and called your insurance company...
It would be a safe bet that the sensitivity levels are set differently on ZL-1s and 1LE's
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
So the $1m question is...what's this going to cost you? What parts get wrecked?
To fix everything, $3987 parts and labor. I know this is MSRP on the parts based on what he told me the headliner cost and what I can get it for. I have a buddy who's tight with the service manager so I'll see if he can help me out. I have gotten other parts from this dealer heavily discounted through my buddy's business.

Breakdown was about $2100 in parts, rest is labor. And they are considered special order parts.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
To fix everything, $3987 parts and labor. I know this is MSRP on the parts based on what he told me the headliner cost and what I can get it for. I have a buddy who's tight with the service manager so I'll see if he can help me out. I have gotten other parts from this dealer heavily discounted through my buddy's business.

Breakdown was about $2100 in parts, rest is labor. And they are considered special order parts.
Is it possible to just fix the headliner cosmetically and not replace the bags? They can't inavertently deploy if you don't replace them.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
Synner

Drives: cars
You can pull a fuse.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=airbag&page=3
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #25
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Is it possible to just fix the headliner cosmetically and not replace the bags? They can't inavertently deploy if you don't replace them.
Headliner is wrinkled, no fixing it. Imagine it's like a piece of foam board you buy for kid's school projects. It flexes to a point and go to far it snaps. Now you have these crinkles that can't be removed.

As for not putting in air bags, the thought crossed my mind. Place the resistors to fool the module and button it up. However, I would never be able to sell the car now that this mishap is on the record of the car and not be able to prove it was fully repaired. I do not want the liability of someone getting hurt or killed and blaming me for not putting the car back together properly and safely. If I was 100% sure I was keeping this car I would take all the air bags out and replace it with a roll cage. I am hooked on road racing, and if the Camaro isn't a capable enough car then I'll buy one that is. I need to get past this problem first before deciding.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
charlie46

Drives: 2013 camaro 1le
Do you think if we keep our 1LE 's are stock, the air bags won't go off on the track?. I hope not because i plan to push the car to the limit on the track.( of course with it in competition mode)
charlie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
Synner

Drives: cars
Autocross would be more likely to set it off versus a road course. Its the rapid and violent changes in direction that should cause it. The amount of tire it has leads me to believe its certainly possible stock under the right conditions.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #28
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie46 View Post
Do you think if we keep our 1LE 's are stock, the air bags won't go off on the track?. I hope not because i plan to push the car to the limit on the track.( of course with it in competition mode)
You can only hope GM programmed a higher tolerance for the yaw sensor. Otherwise you 1LE guys are screwed.

And understand this, your dealer has no decision or influence on whether or not this type of problem is fixed under warranty. All they can do is offer a place for GM's representative (my case was Raytheon) to come and examine the car. So anyone who thinks if this happens to them and your dealer will take care of you, think again. GM is not going to play nice when they are asked to pay out. The customer rep I dealt with was reading from a script, repeated the same exact words when I asked to elaborate on what they determined the cause was. I knew when I asked for a copy of the report and was told to get a subpoena pursuing this was futile.