Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Are the Heritage rims acceptable?
yes 6 23.08%
No 19 73.08%
Yes, If you paint them. 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
5thGenCamaroFirstCar

Drives: 2013, 2LS Black
Good Replacement For Heritage Rims on 2LS

I have a 2LS Camaro and I can't stand the ugly 18' heritage rims, Does anyone have a good replacement idea? I'd like to stay OEM if i could get rims and tires under $2k.
5thGenCamaroFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
You can probably find a set of take-offs from a RS/SS with the 20" stock polished wheels. Search around on craigslist you should be able to find them under $2k.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Depends. Do you want looks or performance?

Granted, the 20" low profile tire probably handles better, it takes power out of the car because they weigh something on the order of 34 pounds for the wheel alone not counting the tire wrapped around it, compared to the wheel on my car which is 23 or 24 pounds. Someone on hear did some fancy math and I believe figured that going from 24 pound 1LT wheels to the 20" RS wheel/tire package would be like driving around with a 300 pound man in the passenger seat...all the time. Not because they add that much weight, but because that's the sort of straight line performance loss you will experience. I can tell you my car knows an additional 300 pounds is holding it down when my friend rides with me. You can get 20" wheels in the 24 pound range...but that will be on the order of $400/ea for the wheels alone.

A few 1LS drivers have found that even changing from the Heritage steel wheel to the stock 1LT wheel, or any other same weight aluminum wheel, made a noticeable improvement in performance.

I love the looks of the RS wheel and tire package, but I can't legally push my car hard enough to need the extra rubber, and I'd prefer to not have all the additional rotating mass. The 18's are a little nicer on rough roads, too.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenCamaroFirstCar View Post
I have a 2LS Camaro and I can't stand the ugly 18' heritage rims, Does anyone have a good replacement idea? I'd like to stay OEM if i could get rims and tires under $2k.
I admit that I don't find the steelies all that attractive, but some like them. If wanting to stay with the OEM GM wheels, you can easily get a wheel and tire set up for well under your $2k budget. You can shop the user marketplace for wheels/tires here and find a set of Midnight Silver (or even polished silver) 20" set of wheels (no tires) for anywhere from $450 to $700. New set of tires will run $900 + mounting and balancing.

That or find a wheel/tire setup for around $1000-1200 depending on miles on the tires. E-Bay tends to run really high on prices, Craigslist is a mixed bag... but if you are not in a huge hurry, you can wait for the good prices.

Whereabouts in TN are ya? We have a number of regional clubs that periodically meet up together for joint-club events. (Music City Club out of Nashville teams up Knoxville club, Memphis group, and two smaller groups out of Clarksville and new one in Chattanooga.)

I'd also suggest keeping the steelies if you have room for storing them ... to use during the winter months (the stock Pirellis are summer tires and REALLY start to grip less when the temp drops below around 40). Having all-seasons on the 18" Heritage wheels will give you good function during the 3 months or so of our "cold" season, and the wheels will have less issues with pitting from salts vs the aluminum wheels.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
Get rid of them. I just tossed mine and i just bought my car back in october. Replaced them with some lexani R 5 i get so many compliments now compared to when i had the heritage steel. I still have mine stored in my basement though so when i get ready to trade in a few years i can stick them back on the car.

Funny story about these rims is that i had to make myself like them because a few days before getting my car i absolutely refused to get an LS because of these wheels lol.
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
Wow. I really like the steel heritage rims on my 1LS and that one of the reasons that I bought mine since I liked the look so much.

Now, when I was replacing rims/tires on another car that I had and wanted very good performance at a reasonable price I went to sites like tirerack.com and looked at the different combinations including weights of the wheels and tires. Take a look and see the fitment choices along with weight to find something that might fit your budget.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
CaptainCog has it right.

My wheels are 23.6 lbs, 18", re-used the stock tires. Wheels were under $750, delivered. Mounting/lifetime balance/reprogram tire sensors $100.

Who wants stock/OEM? Everybody has those.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
spyder

Drives: 2010 V6 | M6
I used the steelies for 3 yrs/50k miles and now I'm swapping them with some light weight forgestars. The steelies will come back out during winter.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
Rob21sf

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LLT
re

If you live in a state that get's snow and the Camaro is your daily driver, I'd hold on to the Heritage steel set for Winter use. I picked up a used set of 20's from an RS and had them powdercoated satin black and it came out better than I expected. Sorry for the poor cell pic.
Attached Images

Rob21sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
SirZeusor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob21sf View Post
If you live in a state that get's snow and the Camaro is your daily driver, I'd hold on to the Heritage steel set for Winter use. I picked up a used set of 20's from an RS and had them powdercoated satin black and it came out better than I expected. Sorry for the poor cell pic.
Wow that's a great idea.
I have access to powercoating at work if I can find a set of these or simular to toss in the truck when the rest of the parts go out to get black powder coat and just toss my boss a few dollars.

Man why didnt I think of the " used whatever and powder coat it black" idea.

I'm disappointed in myself.
Hats off bro! Now my wheeles are turning.............
SirZeusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
5thGenCamaroFirstCar

Drives: 2013, 2LS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
CaptainCog has it right.

Who wants stock/OEM? Everybody has those.

John B.
No one in my area even has a Camaro so I don't really care what everyone else has.
5thGenCamaroFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ls, oem, rims