Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
drs4life
DRS4Life

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6, Blue Ray Metallic
Looking for support

I will try to keep my post as short as possible,
In June of 2014 I became the proud owner of a 2013 BRM A6 ZL1.
Since then my baby has been in the shop for a combined total of 103 days for various repairs; 3 wks for SC replacement due to rattle, 2+ wks to repaint the front clip that was damaged prior to me signing the deal (it took several visits to get them to address the issue) and now 2 months and counting on what started out as a oil pump failure.
short version: I received the dreaded "no or low oil pressure warning. got it to the dealer, where they tried replacing the sensor & pump but still no oil pressure. after a few weeks and repeated visits from me, I was told that GM wanted them to break the engine down & measure the bearings. now it looks like it also spun a bearing & there was alot of metal in the oil pan. I was told by the dealer it will need a new engine & should be covered under warranty. fast forward, GM has requested the calibration (as expected) and has had that info for several weeks now. I usually visit every week to check on the progress & this last week, I was told they should have it back to me by Wed(today) if any longer, they will call me. well, no call, no car and I'm getting pissed A $60K lemon.

Mods: CAI, catch can & 2.55 SC pully. no internal mods at all & I change the fluids as recommended & strictly followed the break in procedure.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
103 days total!!! Your a patient man. It happened to me once like that with a pickup and I just told them to keep it or do what ever they wanted to with it and I asked for another one and they gave it to me, end of story. Total time 3 days one day for the wrecker one day so they could examine what failed and one day to put me in another of equal value.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
drs4life
DRS4Life

I'm about at that point, I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before hand.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Z/28
You've changed out the sc pulley? Did you tune it as well? Just curious.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Some dealers are just different I guess. Ive gone to the same dealer here for 25yrs and all I said to them was look "I paid for a vehicle the one you gave me was bad just give me another and lets go about our business. We walked out to the lot I picked one out did some paperwork and boom! They could've done located you one by now and did a trade for it. A friend of mines Ford F-250's tranny broke with less than 500 miles and they just traded another lot for one identical to his and gave him that one. He did that after I told him to just ask for another one and for them to keep that broke one.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
Old 12-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Lemon Law without a doubt. Request a substitution of collateral from the GM field service rep. He or she should do it without hesitation. If they give you any resistance, and I doubt that they will, you would have an open and shut case if it came to that.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dan View Post
Oh yea this! If you did anything to it oh dang good luck!
744rwhp 727rwtq
Old 12-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
drs4life
DRS4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dan View Post
Yeah, tuned for the pulley & GM corp. requested the calibration. I'm familiar with the warranty game, I'm not asking for them to warranty the modified SC though.
No rev limits changed, nor any internal engine components modded. I can see if I had done a cam, or oil pump (basically any internals, then I'd expect them to not honor the warranty, but the SC has nothing to do with the oil pump nor is it even in the oil path. The Magnusun-Moss act puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer denying the warranty to prove that the modifications caused the failure.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Bigtime53

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I hope the SC pully does not mess you up. I bought a new 1 ton CC dually with a duramax and a allison trans several years ago and the trans went south on it and they fixed it.Long story short,it went out two more times and I told them to buy it back or give me another. They bought it back then I just bought another one from the same dealer. I sure as hell would tell the dealer you have had enough and make them buy it back.They will do that if you tell them litigation will be started if they want to carry it that far. Good luck.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Good luck GM wouldn't even replace my SC which was and still is 100% stock
No internal mods only lower pulley, but because I was recalibrated they denied
Warranty on a part that they claim was faulty anyway. My sc was rattling well
before pulley swap. I only modded because at that time they said the rattle
was normal, then later decided to change their mind.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
drs4life
DRS4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
Good luck GM wouldn't even replace my SC which was and still is 100% stock
No internal mods only lower pulley, but because I was recalibrated they denied
Warranty on a part that they claim was faulty anyway. My sc was rattling well
before pulley swap. I only modded because at that time they said the rattle
was normal, then later decided to change their mind.
Thanks man, So far, the Dealer wants to replace the engine, they are just waiting on GM to make a decision. GM has had my calibration for close to 3 weeks now. P.S. sorry to hear about them denying you but I thought the lower pulley did have some affect on SC rpm's?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
drs4life
DRS4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
I hope the SC pully does not mess you up. I bought a new 1 ton CC dually with a duramax and a allison trans several years ago and the trans went south on it and they fixed it.Long story short,it went out two more times and I told them to buy it back or give me another. They bought it back then I just bought another one from the same dealer. I sure as hell would tell the dealer you have had enough and make them buy it back.They will do that if you tell them litigation will be started if they want to carry it that far. Good luck.
Yeah, I'm thinking about going the "replacement" route too. even if they replace the engine, I'm worried about reliability on the replacement & resale value being a non numbers matching vehicle.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
jon6.0
Going for Plaid

Drives: 2011 C6
The calibration is changed. Good luck dude.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
People just don't get how the moss warranty act works.

Only proof they need is something was changed outside of the validated warrantied parameters. The smaller pulley alone, or CAI could do that. Any changes to tune are automatically a no go for any power train warranty work. They don't care what was changed in tune, just that it was changed.