Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #71
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
That supercharger looks kind of stealthy too, very nice.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #72
Nitro Dave

Drives: 2010 RS SS Juiced!
The most economical way is deffintly nitrous. Nitrous is the bigest bang for the buck. You can purchase a high quality system with the needed accessories from around 800 to 1300 dollars depending on the set up. You can safely add up to a 150 hp and it will not alter your dailey driveabilty or gas milage. Since it does not put extra stress on the motor full time like a boosted application it will result in less overall wear and tear.

You will not find another modification that can provide the same power for the same money.
Nitro Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #73
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Good point Dave.....
Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #74
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft View Post
Thats the plan!

Quick dyno vid of the Techco Supercharger Kit....

Sweet!!! Any idea on the cost ???
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #75
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Good point Dave.....
I agree, but at the same time, it really limits the fun factor since it's nearly a track only type of mod. I had nitrous on a previous car, and I can tell you, it's not nearly as satisfying as really having the power on tap at any time.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #76
Late Model Racecraft

Drives: 98 Camaro Race Car 3.96 @ 202 MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Dave View Post
The most economical way is deffintly nitrous. Nitrous is the bigest bang for the buck. You can purchase a high quality system with the needed accessories from around 800 to 1300 dollars depending on the set up. You can safely add up to a 150 hp and it will not alter your dailey driveabilty or gas milage. Since it does not put extra stress on the motor full time like a boosted application it will result in less overall wear and tear.

You will not find another modification that can provide the same power for the same money.
Daves kits are the best on the market today. If you are looking for a cheap 150hp give him a call!

2019 ZR1 LT5*9.00*@ 157
Current C7 World Record Holder 7.55*@ 184*MPH
Quickest and Fastest GEN5 LT Powered Vehicle
LMR1200HP Supercharged C7 8.84 @ 160**
LMR1200HP Twin Turbo C7 9.35@155mph-2014
2 TIME OUTLAW DRAG RADIAL LSX CHAMPION 2008/2010
9.47 ZR1 Corvette-2009
FIRST 2010 CAMARO in the 9's-2010
713-466-9900
Latemodelracecraft.com
Late Model Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #77
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Camaro 09 View Post
not many people really talk about turbo'ing their LS3. but wouldn't it be the easiest way to get the most rwhp? (well i guess bolting on a supercharger is easier than that, but it also has its set backs )

i was thinking turbo. should i be thinking otherwise?

http://hiperturbo.readyhosting.com/store/page8.html
No. Aftermarket turbo kits are bitch to tune and keep running well. They need a shitload of supporting mods as well. If you want to run a reliable street car, I'd say either stay N/A or go with a blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
That is my real question here. Cuz arent turbos more reliable than supers anyway?
No. Absolutely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
STS (Squires Turbo Systems) very easy to install, adds great power with minimal lag. I'll have my setup shortly after the break-in period. C6 was able to get 600+RWHP on 6lbs of boost.

Install + parts = $8000ish. (twin turbo setup)
Talk to any shop that doesn't have a vested interest in selling STS systems.....they're a novel concept at best, and hands down the WORST forced induction kit you can go with. TT C6 is right on this one.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 AM   #78
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
"Talk to any shop that doesn't have a vested interest in selling STS systems.....they're a novel concept at best, and hands down the WORST forced induction kit you can go with. TT C6 is right on this one."

I could not agree more.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #79
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
For a street engine, the LS3 has had most of the power squeezed out of it by GM.
The standard mods of cold air induction, long tube headers (Kooks or American racing, and a dyno tune are going to net you some decent results.

However, the the extra power you make from a cam is going to have trade-offs.

But a TVS blower and headers on the car and be done with it.
It will idle stock, have torque EVERYWHERE, and even WITH the blower, it will have better MPG when commuting, as long as it gets a PROFESSIONAL tune on a DYNO.

I used to be a N/A only guy. But with GM making such strong motors, and OEM reliability being offered by the TVS blowers, how could you do anything else?
Absolutely...Just wish it wasn't 2-3 X the money of a H/C set up.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #80
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft View Post
Thats the plan!

Quick dyno vid of the Techco Supercharger Kit....

What would be the approximate cost of a system like this?
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 AM   #81
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
"Talk to any shop that doesn't have a vested interest in selling STS systems.....they're a novel concept at best, and hands down the WORST forced induction kit you can go with. TT C6 is right on this one."

I could not agree more.

Not from a shop, and LOVED every minute of it. Tried another setup and didn't have the luck I had with the STS setup. Everyone has their own opinion on each system. I never thought I would be a turbo convert, but I love it when it kicks in.

Nothing wrong with a SC if that is your thing, been there/bought that/swapped that. I went through 2 different SC's and 2 turbo setups, the STS system got me where I wanted to be, without the added headaches.

Just my $.02.

Good luck! And may you get your setup right on the first try!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #82
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Not from a shop, and LOVED every minute of it. Tried another setup and didn't have the luck I had with the STS setup. Everyone has their own opinion on each system. I never thought I would be a turbo convert, but I love it when it kicks in.

Nothing wrong with a SC if that is your thing, been there/bought that/swapped that. I went through 2 different SC's and 2 turbo setups, the STS system got me where I wanted to be, without the added headaches.

Just my $.02.

Good luck! And may you get your setup right on the first try!
TTi-x
TVS 2300
ECS Novi
APS

All of the above I would go with before a rear mount.
Rick Squires is a great guy and I have nothing against STS.
It was a GREAT idea.
It just didn't work as well in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Absolutely...Just wish it wasn't 2-3 X the money of a H/C set up.
Shops are doing installed TVS blowers for the same as their installed cam hits.
You get your money's worth with a blower.
This is coming from a die hard n/a guy.
It's just the LS3 and modern LSx are making a LOT of N/A power to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
And remember folks, base all of your decisions solely on TT C6's opinions.
No.
It's from talking directly with owners who regret their STS decisions and driving the cars for myself.
Unlike you, I post educated, helpful info and not worthless criticism.
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #83
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post

Shops are doing installed TVS blowers for the same as their installed cam hits.
You get your money's worth with a blower.
This is coming from a die hard n/a guy.
It's just the LS3 and modern LSx are making a LOT of N/A power to begin with.
I agree that a TVS would give you superior power, but LS3 vettes are putting down over 500rwhp with cam only setups...so I really wouldn't say they aren't making alot of NA power to begin with...just a few years ago 500rwhp would have been crazy to think of, much less cam only. If you use your own LS3 core heads, 515-520rwhp with H/C isn't out of the question. You could see 500-550rwhp on a TVS install for sure. And the torque curve would most definitely be flat, wide and early with the blower. I am am not figuring paying a shop to do the cam install, so I don't know what those install #'s would be, but a $450 cam and a $800 port job, $300 valve springs and $150 pushrods is still significantly cheaper than a $6500 blower, especially to be within 25-30rwhp of the blower power. The poor mans performance would definitely be a cam only set up (I'm not calculating intake, headers, exhaust because you really need those on both setups to maximize your power).

No denying the lethality of a positive displacement blower set up (or an appropriate Turbo set up) on the LS3 though, VERY FORMITABLE!
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #84
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
I agree that a TVS would give you superior power, but LS3 vettes are putting down over 500rwhp with cam only setups...so I really wouldn't say they aren't making alot of NA power to begin with...just a few years ago 500rwhp would have been crazy to think of, much less cam only. If you use your own LS3 core heads, 515-520rwhp with H/C isn't out of the question. You could see 500-550rwhp on a TVS install for sure. And the torque curve would most definitely be flat, wide and early with the blower. I am am not figuring paying a shop to do the cam install, so I don't know what those install #'s would be, but a $450 cam and a $800 port job, $300 valve springs and $150 pushrods is still significantly cheaper than a $6500 blower, especially to be within 25-30rwhp of the blower power. The poor mans performance would definitely be a cam only set up (I'm not calculating intake, headers, exhaust because you really need those on both setups to maximize your power).

No denying the lethality of a positive displacement blower set up (or an appropriate Turbo set up) on the LS3 though, VERY FORMITABLE!
Although we disagree on our choices, I appreciate and agree with your tech info.
We definitely agree that the blowers advantage is that it's "torque curve would most definitely be flat, wide and early with the blower."
I hope you change your mind and go for the torque of the blower.
You KNOW you WANT it.

Either way,
Good luck with your build.

P.S.
Shops are including the TVS blower, install, AND tune for $6,500.
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote