Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #85
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
There's a rumor going around that this is all going to happen...G8 production starting up at Oshawa, only badged as a Chevy...

Then again, it is just a rumor.
That would be absolutely amazing in every way imaginable.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #86
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Anything less than saving the G8 by rebading as a Chevy would be a HUGE mistake by GM.

TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #87
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
There's a rumor going around that this is all going to happen...G8 production starting up at Oshawa, only badged as a Chevy...

Then again, it is just a rumor.
Rumors can be dangerous... but if enough people call in to GM asking about the rumor, maybe they'll get the hint Though thinking about it, I'm sure GM would save whatever money makers they can from the brands being cut... just makes sense
Old 05-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #88
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
I love my G8 best car I've ever owned.

If I had the money, G8 as daily driver, Camaro for the weekends. I guy can dream, right?

I'd be surprised if GM adds anymore V8's since the new fuel standard requirements.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #89
TT C6
Banned

I'm still waiting on a recommended action plan from a GM representative on how the public can motivate GM to save the G8 with a Chevy rebadge.

The G8 is the Camaro sedan.
Where is the support from the Camaro community for it's four-door brother?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #90
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
I'm still waiting on a recommended action plan from a GM representative on how the public can motivate GM to save the G8 with a Chevy rebadge.

The G8 is the Camaro sedan.
Where is the support from the Camaro community for it's four-door brother?
Seems like a lot of people are treating the G8 less like a brother and more like your second cousin who lives in San Fransisco with a Hair stylist named Pepe.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #91
TT C6
Banned

You all do realize the Camaro and G8 are practically the SAME car, right?
You all realize that if it wasn't for the G8 (Commodore), you would NOT have a Camaro right now, right ?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #92
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Seems like a lot of people are treating the G8 less like a brother and more like your second cousin who lives in San Fransisco with a Hair stylist named Pepe.
I prefer to think of it as the mature, sophisticated brother from uptown. One who just happens to have an insane wild streak when you push him.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #93
blinkme323

Drives: -
These rumors were posted on the G8 boards a while ago and have pretty much been quashed. GM stated that the G8 will not be rebranded in any form.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #94
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I must be one of the few that thinks the G8 looks terrible.
Just another generic import copy with a v8.... imo.
(Actually, since around 1992 all cars have really sucked looks wise.)

Too much rounding and copying.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #95
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
I must be one of the few that thinks the G8 looks terrible.
Just another generic import copy with a v8.... imo.
(Actually, since around 1992 all cars have really sucked looks wise.)

Too much rounding and copying.

As much as others love'm, I have to agree with ya.

LabRat
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #96
2011RS/SS

Drives: 2016 corvette Z06
I don't see why they couldnt' do it. Instead of slapping pontiac badges on the car, slap some chevy badges on it. Whats so hard about that. It is already a US compliant car. The only real changes they would have to do is change the front clip so it wouldn't look like a pontiac anymore
2011RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #97
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011RS/SS View Post
I don't see why they couldnt' do it. Instead of slapping pontiac badges on the car, slap some chevy badges on it. Whats so hard about that. It is already a US compliant car. The only real changes they would have to do is change the front clip so it wouldn't look like a pontiac anymore
There's a lot of factors that go into it...whether or not it'd be profitable to continue importing them from Australia, whether or not it'd be economically feasible to retool Oshawa and start production there...whether or not a sufficient business case can be developed to replace the current W-body Impala with a RWD Zeta Impala...whether or not people are even ready to give up FWD Impalas for RWD Impalas...
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #98
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
And the door has been slammed shut on us one last time:

http://jalopnik.com/5279208/gm-ceo-s...as-chevy-caddy

Lets see
-Current Impala is ancient and inferior to the Malibu, and pretty much everything else out there.
-G8 is a critical success, and likely only had weak sales due to a very weak brand and weak marketing
-Even internet GM haters are hailing this as a great car.
-The entire internet car community, GM fans and haters alike, are crying out for this to be rebadged as a Chevrolet

But GM won't even consider it

Which means at least one of three things:
1. The government really is fully in control of product choice at GM and we won't be seeing anything fun from the General again.
2. They really don't have the cash to move production to a more cost effective facility, and if they're that hard up then they're a lost case and Ch. 11 won't be successful.
or
3. They're absolutely incompetent and out of touch.

Common GM. Spend the few extra bucks to market this car under the much stronger Chevy brand and you'll get the sales volume. You don't save a car company by letting one of your best products die.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote