Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
noisemker

Drives: RY 2LT/RS
Mouse in my intake manifold :sad0147:

Well that about sums it up, just got the car back from the dealership. I was getting a misfire engine light coming on, turns out that what they think is a mouse is in my upper intake manfiold. Can this happen? How could they get in there? they quoted me $497 to take it all apart and clean it and of course its not warranty... would this be hard to do myself? any tips would be greatly appriciated

Airaid Intake And Solo CatBack Solo Highflow Cats
noisemker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
That is just toooooooo bizzare! Unfortunately I am of no help to you on this, but I am confident someone will chime in to help you out. Good luck with it.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
if you have a2010 then yes very easy to remove and clean out your self, just follow the steps to remove for the black iceolater that sold on the forums, which requires you to remove the IM, If I recall the IM bolts are 18lbs torgue and the smaller bolts were 7 or 9 lbs, and get a flex wrench 13mm I think for the rear two bolts it will make your life so much easier
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemker View Post
Well that about sums it up, just got the car back from the dealership. I was getting a misfire engine light coming on, turns out that what they think is a mouse is in my upper intake manfiold. Can this happen? How could they get in there? they quoted me $497 to take it all apart and clean it and of course its not warranty... would this be hard to do myself? any tips would be greatly appriciated
Wow, that's extremely bizzare. Assuming they're just referring to removing the metal manifold and not the head, just do it yourself. No way I'd pay 500 for them to do it. Look up the diy for one of the manifold spacers and they all show how to remove the manifold. Having said that, two things. First, do you know why they would think that? Unless you have absolutely no intake, I don't know how it'd get there. Even with no intake, it'd have to go through the throttle body which I find hard to believe... my 2 cents. Second, if they're referring yo the top of the head, yea let them do that. Manifold you do, head let them do it.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I agree with the above comments. do it yourself.

As for the mouse, they think it is a mouse? How would they know without taking it apart.

The engine has 100k mile warranty, if you threw a code they should be covering it, even if it is a mouse, they would have to tear down to find it.

As for how the mouse got there (if that is what is really going on), you would be surprised where those critters can get. I snowmobile and I have read plenty of stories and seen the pictures of the next within the engine area and you would be shocked at what they can get thru.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
I can see where a mouse would not be covered by warranty, however it would be covered by your insurance.....my father-in-law just had not one, but two, cars damaged by rats chewing through wiring and making nests in the engine compartments (lives out in the boonies) and his insurance rep said it wasn't uncommon and covered both.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
I can see where a mouse would not be covered by warranty, however it would be covered by your insurance.....my father-in-law just had not one, but two, cars damaged by rats chewing through wiring and making nests in the engine compartments (lives out in the boonies) and his insurance rep said it wasn't uncommon and covered both.
If this happened on their lot however, it would be their insurance.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
So how could a mouse get past the air filter let alone the throttle plate because it would be closed with the car off? Seems pretty unlikely for a mouse to make it clear to the intake.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
I heard of rabbits eating plastic on the wires
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Jstephen

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS LT2 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemker View Post
Does your car sit a lot? If it is driven quite frequently, then the mouse would be toast and would have been sucked into to manifold and burnt up int he pistons..

If this mouse did some number on the wiring then ok, they do some wire repair. I canot see hoe the mouse would have gotten into the instate manifold?
Old 11-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
They have no way of knowing it's a mouse without taking it apart. I'd try another dealer.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
WOLFHOUND

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Sorry to hear about your problem. On my 2007 Saturn Vue I had a mouse enter the air intake, chew a hole through the air filter and get sucked thru the throttle body bending the shaft.I think there would be damage to your air filter if the mouse made it to the intake manifold. Ask to see the air filter.
WOLFHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
The solution at no cost !!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
more than likely there is the remains of a rats nest in the air box and a chewed up air filter. Add to that a boroscope down the intake and you have your answer.
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote