Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Drew 2012 RS

Drives: 2012 RS CONVERTIBLE w/IOM stripe
All WHITE CAMARO owners BEWARE!!!!

Purchased a 2012 RS Vert in November...
After hand washing car the next day noticed a lot of reddish orange specks all over car...returned to dealer...they said it was rail dust from transport...after they clay-barred my car twice and drove it 82 miles still visible to me....
So i had my first meeting with a rep from GM ...without looking at the car his first diagnosis was "Acid Rain"...told him car has never seen rain since I've driven off lot....so he backtracks and then says"your car is suffering from CHEMICAL FALLOUT" you live near the airport and it is from the contrails from the planes when they reach the ground it is sticking to your car......I told him straight to his face that he is full of crap !!!!
after looking at my car...he said they are done with me....he said I was being to particular...BS I spent good money for this car it should be right....so now they finally let me change dealerships and the body shop manager there says yes you have raildust...wants to try a acid wash process... WHAT GIVES?

So all WHITE CAMARO OWNERS BEWARE OF CHEMICAL FALLOUT ON YOUR CAR !!!!
Drew 2012 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Blau camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: #1 CAMARO FAN
Sounds like rail dust. Really shows up on white cars. They probably did not do a good clay job. If it was mt car I would do the claying myself. I use Adams clay and detail spray. After a good washing do the baggie test, if the finish is rough you need to clay. Best of luck. STEALERS!!
Blau camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Its not rail dust its brake dust!

I can put my Camaro on chopping block right now and go out and tell you guys I KNOW that its brake dust all over your car that is rusting in the elements. Now i dont care how many people think im stupid or way out in left field when I say this, but fact of the matter is, that's your problem.

It has been a problem on our vehicles for many years, our wash rack/body shop cleans approx 5 a day. Most common are the vehicles that are white, silver or white diamond in color.

To fix your problem, find yourself a quality organic brake pad set that has no metal or no type of metal in the pad itself and I can guaranty that once you put these pads on your problem will go away. It has been a fix around our shop for years now.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
If it is rail dust and the manufacturer know this causes this then why don't they do a better job at protecting the cars from it.

Problem solved. I would be more inclined to believe the brake pad thing as spoke about above.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post

I can put my Camaro on chopping block right now and go out and tell you guys I KNOW that its brake dust all over your car that is rusting in the elements. Now i dont care how many people think im stupid or way out in left field when I say this, but fact of the matter is, that's your problem.

It has been a problem on our vehicles for many years, our wash rack/body shop cleans approx 5 a day. Most common are the vehicles that are white, silver or white diamond in color.

To fix your problem, find yourself a quality organic brake pad set that has no metal or no type of metal in the pad itself and I can guaranty that once you put these pads on your problem will go away. It has been a fix around our shop for years now.
So you're saying he has brake dust all over his car. How does one get brake dust on their hood for example.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
It's rail dust. Just buy some clay and spend an hour or so and do it yourself. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff My Friend.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
I must have got lucky. There was hardly any raill dust on my car when it came off the rail car. I clayed it just for good measure and the bar hardly got dirty.

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.

Last edited by pnyklr; 04-17-2012 at 04:16 PM.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Mostly the sides of the vehicle are affected with the issue i described above,

As for the hood and top of the car I don't want to pull some fluff out of my ass so I'll say that I don't know, but we have absolutely no rails or anything of the sort back home here and we have the same problems on white vehicles so it all depends I guess.

I will call GM TAC today at work and see if they have a solution or an explanation for this.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post

ummmmm NOT! Brake dust gets on your wheels, some on the rear of the front fenders, and leading edge of the front doors, and a bit behind the rear wheels, not all over the car. Have you ever seen a new car get off a rail cargo box? I have, many times and they they are covered in rail dust/rust. Have you ever looked at a rail road track? They get rusty and the coat or rust gets powderized as the massive train metal wheels (rollers) cause friction..the powderized rust/dust flies all over the place and the rust/dust gets introduced to the car's surface via the vacuum created by the passing semin-open cargo boxes. The OP's was given a load of BS by the GM rep, period.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
ummmmm NOT! Brake dust gets on your wheels not all over the car. Have you ever seen a new car get off a rail cargo box? I have, many times and they they are covered in rail dust/rust. Have you ever looked at a rail road track? They get rusty and the coat or rust gets powderized as the massive train metal wheels (rollers) cause friction..the powderized rust/dust flies all over the place and the rust/dust gets introduced to the car's surface via the vacuum created by the passing semin-open cargo boxes. The OP's was given a load of BS by the GM rep, period.
Like I said, then the manufacturers need to do a better job at protecting the paint from this. I can't believe people just blow these off so easy these days instead of holding someone accountable for not doing something right.

If they would protect the cars properly, they wouldn't need clay bared. You should have to do paint correction to a brand new car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Like I said, then the manufacturers need to do a better job at protecting the paint from this. I can't believe people just blow these off so easy these days instead of holding someone accountable for not doing something right.

If they would protect the cars properly, they wouldn't need clay bared. You should have to do paint correction to a brand new car.
I totally agree. However, if manufacturers start using better transport methods similar what the higher-end cars use, we as consumers will have to be prepared to foot some of the related cost which will be added to price of the car or freight cost. When my SS arrived in 2009, although not very noticeable on the IOM paint, it was covered in rail rust nonetheless. I paid ADM so the dealer didn't argue when I asked for a complete professional detail (not their cheap in house wash and wax job) before I picked up it up. White cars show it really bad.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
my white ss also shows rail dust, i have to clay bar it every once in awhile but it seems to show back up. oh well.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
JDDay

Drives: 2012 Camaro Summit White V6
i have some spots. but only in the plastic, mostly on the front
JDDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
It is the brake dust from the auto racks. They have the smallest wheels of any rail car and therefore heat up more than most of any other rail cars. Also engineers tend to use more air when breaking on an auto train than the perferred method of using dynamic braking. Those auto trains are like one big slinky, so using air keeps them streached rather than bunched. Talk to Adam's and see what they recommed for brake dust, because thats what you have.