Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #85
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I love the GN but I can see how people did not, it is in the end a boxy GM car. My next car after my GN was an 89 Turbo TA, same motor, better car.

If you read the history on that car it is low mileage because the miles were put on 1/4 at a time. Then it was parked and neglected until it was bought 34 years later and needed an extensive restoration.

I ordered my 2010 in June of 08, the guy in front of me in line ordered 2, 1 to drive and 1 to save "for his kids college fund". Its parked in his garage right now up on jackstands with the wheels and tires bagged and stored on the wall. Theres stories like that everywhere. And all those people in 25 or so years are going to flood the market with these ultra low mileage cars, that probably will barely even run from not being preserved properly.
....and how much do you think the 'extensive restoration' cost? surely not $300,000.....
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #86
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb66 View Post
Who thought that back in the day that the 1960s muscle cars would be worth what they are today? These cars sold used thru the 1970s for practically nothing. Look what they go for today.
And honestly, this isn't even the point I am trying to make- I'm *not* saying I would buy them to invest, nor am I saying don't enjoy them. The original posting was to 'value' not 'profit from appreciation in value'. I'm merely saying it's foolish to say these cars will be worth $0 in 50 years.

elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #87
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
No car is a "good investment", but I do think the 5th Gen will hold it's value much better than most people seem to think. They are beautiful cars, and the 6th Gen isn't quite so retro looking. As Chevrolet moves further away from the retro/muscle look, these cars will become even more popular.

So, yes, prices will drop for a few years, but I don't think they will ever become cheap cars (unless the car is totally beat). Like I said earlier, the 5th gen has already won two awards for best resale value. That isn't going to change overnight. Beautiful, well built, quality cars that are fast... well, they always hold their value. A lot of people would like to own one... that's all it takes.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #88
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Here's one thing everyone always forgets. Keeping cars costs money. More than it'll ever make you.

Even if you had a 1969 camaro back in the day (when it barely cost anything) that money has inflated, so it's still like you spent $20k on it. Let's just pretend you can sell it NOW for $40k. That means it's in great condition, probably original engine/trans if it's gonna be worth that much because even if you put in a better 2010 engine... it's worth less.
Now if you have a car in that condition, great. But it's already cost $20k in initial purpose plus more than $20k in keeping it in that well of a condition.
It costs money to keep cars. They are never an investment... period.

As for holding value, the Camaro I believe was in the top 10 rated a while back. It holds its value alright, but it's definitely not going to shoot up and make you a ton of money. No car does.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #89
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
....and how much do you think the 'extensive restoration' cost? surely not $300,000.....
The point was you were responding to someone talking about saving a car back when it was built. The car very obviously was not stored dead stock to make money, it was a used up race car that sat for 30+ years and got restored. And TBH while no the restoration definitely did not cost $300k, it wasn't cheap either with all those matching parts. The car is a COPO car, and on top of that an extremely rare tuner version. Also from a different time and day.

These cars won't be worth $0, and they will hold value better than most other cars you can buy new for around $40k all in. But there is no chance in hell of them even matching their sticker price unadjusted for inflation, save the 69 COPO's out there and the Z-28's - and both are a maybe.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #90
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
It's only going to be worth what someone is willing to pay for one....
My car is priceless to me... No plans to sell it or trade it so the future value means nothing to me.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #91
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
In reality its not appreciation, its depreciation still because the original selling price today, after inflation will be half of what the cash would be worth adjusted in 30 years. And that will never happen.
You're looking at it from the POV of someone who bought new, these cars will bottom out in value in 15-20 years and be quite a bargain at that point, and will appreciate greatly from there. I've got a '56 Chevy that my dad bought at auction in 1980 for $1100, its climbed in value pretty much since that day.

Nobody is suggesting buying a car for the sole reason of reselling it for big bucks, but to think the well taken care of survivors won't be worth something in 30+ years is ridiculous. Every other generation of Camaro has done pretty well in terms of collectibility, I don't see any reason to think the 5th won't be the same... and will likely be moreso.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #92
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
You're looking at it from the POV of someone who bought new, these cars will bottom out in value in 15-20 years and be quite a bargain at that point, and will appreciate greatly from there. I've got a '56 Chevy that my dad bought at auction in 1980 for $1100, its climbed in value pretty much since that day.

Nobody is suggesting buying a car for the sole reason of reselling it for big bucks, but to think the well taken care of survivors won't be worth something in 30+ years is ridiculous. Every other generation of Camaro has done pretty well in terms of collectibility, I don't see any reason to think the 5th won't be the same... and will likely be moreso.
I'm sure the cars will be worth "something" and as I said far more than any regular car from the same year. However catching the car at the bottom of its depreciation and then flipping it over for a profit is like catching lightning in a bottle, and the values will never explode like 60's muscle cars did. The point is drive it, enjoy it, and if you break even or make a few bucks great, but it won't ever be some sort of windfall.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #93
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
I'm sure the cars will be worth "something" and as I said far more than any regular car from the same year. However catching the car at the bottom of its depreciation and then flipping it over for a profit is like catching lightning in a bottle, and the values will never explode like 60's muscle cars did. The point is drive it, enjoy it, and if you break even or make a few bucks great, but it won't ever be some sort of windfall.

again you're suggesting I'm talking about sealing it in a garage and never driving it for the purpose of "flipping it for a profit" that's not the point at all. I don't ever intend to sell either one of these cars, but its still interesting discussion. Anybody buying a car for the sole purpose of investment is a fool, surely we can all agree on that.

And "never" is a long time. I'd imagine plenty of people in the 50s and 60s uttered that word when talking about their 2 or 3000 dollar cars that are now worth 10-30 times that.

Last edited by Chevy_cowboy; 06-04-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Chevy_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #94
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
.... and the values will never explode like 60's muscle cars did.....

You don't know that for a fact... All it takes is for one bill to pass in the government. New CAFE regulations and pollution regulations are coming. You can count on it. They will never stop tightening the noose.. Once the V8 is gone from production the same thing will happen to these cars that happened to the 1960's cars. It's not a matter of if, but when.

GM and Ford know it too... that's why you are seeing the turbo 4 cylinder engines in production, along with attention to saving weight. The 2nd muscle car generation is almost over.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #95
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
again you're suggesting I'm talking about sealing it in a garage and never driving it for the purpose of "flipping it for a profit" that's not the point at all. I don't ever intend to sell either one of these cars, but its still interesting discussion. Anybody buying a car for the sole purpose of investment is a fool, surely we can all agree on that.

And "never" is a long time. I'd imagine plenty of people in the 50s and 60s uttered that word when talking about their 2 or 3000 dollar cars that are now worth 10-30 times that.
I think we are both saying the same thing, however my point is whether you drive it or not the appreciation seems more than it truly is due to inflation. Just enjoy the car and be happy that most cars of the same vintage will be worthless while your camaro will still be worth a decent amount of money.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #96
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
If there are still gasoline stations around then so you can actually put fuel in them!

With all the research and development in new fuel technologies I'm always wondering how convenient/easy it will be to fill a car with gasoline in the future. Alternative fuels and electric cars may become way more common by then. If the fuel source for a 5th gen isn't as readily available 50 or 60 years from now then all gasoline powered cars may become less valuable simply because it's a lawn ornament if you can put fuel in it to drive it!

I'm sure many will think this idea will never happen but unless you have a time machine and can prove that it doesn't....nobody knows for sure.

if an 80s DeLorean could be retrofitted with Mr. Fusion and anti-grav, almost anything is possible!
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #97
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Given the age of increasingly tech-saavy generations, I think that's an outdated opinion.
Tech-saavy kids that know how to use their smartphones and computers does not equal smart kids that can design that stuff. We've left that up to other countries.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #98
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I would say 9 times out of 10 the cars that bring big money with low miles are not being sold by the person that bought the car originally.
Who knows if you will be around in 40, 30, 20 or even next year. I have already gotten a million dollars worth of enjoyment out of mine. How much enjoyment would I get out of it if it had been sitting in a garage for the last 3 years?