Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
BMR and JDP -- Great Combo (LOTS of Pics)

After my 'saga' with the TSP underdrive pulley, it became obvious to me that I needed to follow my plan I initially set out to do -- bolt on HP upgrades then, suspension. I wanted to do a 1LE/FE4 upgrade to my 2011 2SS. BMR and JDP Tyler helped me get where I needed to go. I still have a couple of other upgrades to do (bushings and Toe Rods), but the primary updates are done.

I went with BMR sway bars (front and rear), Adjustable trailing arms and bushings, 1" lower front and rear springs, the FE4 upgrade (OEM lower control arms and sway bar links).

All I can say is the change in the 'feel' of the car is amazing. I still need to get a 4 wheel alignment, but wow, does the car feel like its on rails. JDP Tyler really worked with me to understand what I needed based on my goals. BMR directed me to work with JDP and their combined info/suggestions really helped me get what I was looking for. Great service -- especially JDP Tyler. The OEM FE4 update was very simple to do.

I would suggest anyone wanting to do these upgrades get all the parts first. I had mine in stages and began to realized I would have been better served to do it all at the same time (the lower control arms were 'removed' a few times ;o)...

I did all of these upgrades myself with no 'other' help outside of phone support from JDP Tyler. I did run into an issue with the BMR Trailing arms being 3/16 too narrow, but Harbor Freight to the rescue! Got this gem to 'spread' open the back bracket of the trailing arm to fit:

5 seconds and all was well with the world!

Below are pics of the parts installed.

BTW, the OEM lower control arms are similar -- except where the sway bar links are for the 2012 +.

I updated my 2011 to use the 2012+ rear sway bar/links -- and boy what a difference. I did have to drill the sway bar link hole to 12MM on the strut -- not a problem -- to support the 1LE/FE4 upgrade.

Pics:

Front:

Sway Bar:

Sway Bar and Links:

1LE/FE4 Sway Bar Link (BIG difference in roundness!):

Front springs:

Rear Sway Bar and Links:

OEM 1LE/FE4 Lower Control Arm with Spring:

Assembled Left Rear:

Rear Lower Control arms -- Left is FE4 update, Right is 2011 SS OEM:

Trailing Arm with Bushing installed (Left Rear):

Adjustable!

Trailing Arm with Bushing (Close up):

BMR boxed goodies (Front and Rear Sway Bars for 1LE/FE4 upgrade)

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 07-01-2017 at 03:41 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Good STUFF!

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Great review and write up, Don! Thanks for taking the time to do this. We truly appreciate your business and support and thanks for choosing JDP and BMR for your suspension upgrades! Let us know if you have any other questions or if there is anything further we can assist you with!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Thanks for the positive feedback Don! Glad you are happy with your parts! I'll have to take some measurements on our TCA033's and check that against the outer bushings. Thanks for letting us know.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback Don! Glad you are happy with your parts! I'll have to take some measurements on our TCA033's and check that against the outer bushings. Thanks for letting us know.
I took an inside dial indicator (snap gauge) and verified the 3/16 ". I measured the bushing on the car, the 'gold' insert from the BMR trailing arm bushing and then verified those. Yep, even the gold insert would not fit.

I've seen this before (I used to make (tig welded) 'arms' for our sprint/midget in the old days) and saw that happen when the metal 'cooled' off the jig.

Thank goodness for the hydro spreader!

LOVE the quality overall. Really a small thing when you consider everthing I did and how it came out.

WOW what a difference and I do mean a difference...

Feels like a real sports car with muscle!

Tyler was a HUGE help. He had to tolerate my 'idiot' moment and was very patient with my questions.

I REALLY like the BMR products -- I also like the Detroit's but the BMR line was in my price range and I felt for what I intended, BMR was the way to go.

Since I did this really as a 'one man show', I'm confident others can do this too. Just need tools and 'phone support' and it will work!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 08-10-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
I've seen this before (I used to make (tig welded) 'arms' for our sprint/midget in the old days) and saw that happen when the metal 'cooled' off the jig.
Yep, that's probably what it is....but if that's the case we need to widen them up a bit before we weld them then!!! I appreciate your feedback on these, we'll take a look at them. Once again, very glad to hear you are enjoying your new parts!!!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Yep, It is THE 'Red Menace' now ;o)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Yep, let's get everything tweaked... then it's MY turn!

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
That_Guy

Drives: n/a
From the pics it looks like you could just mod the stock rlca's to do the same as the 1le parts
That_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
From the pics it looks like you could just mod the stock rlca's to do the same as the 1le parts
yes, just drill out the hole, add the 'washer' for the bushing and you pretty much have the 1LE LCA. I thought the same thing.

The new lca is good for pre 2012's too.

-Don
Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Awesome thread. Will be wanting to do the same as well! How much did it all run you?
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Depends on what you get. Tyler customized mine based on my needs -- it varies a bit, but the prices are excellent. BMR products are outstanding. Tyler is a huge help with installation.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyTen2SSRS View Post
Awesome thread. Will be wanting to do the same as well! How much did it all run you?
Get with me, let me know your goals and we can work out a good package!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Depends on what you get. Tyler customized mine based on my needs -- it varies a bit, but the prices are excellent. BMR products are outstanding. Tyler is a huge help with installation.
Thanks for the kind words and support, Don!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Sure! Call 'em like it is ;o)

-Don