Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
TX2011SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Disabling AFM

I want to disable the AFM (Active Fuel Management) system on my 2011 SS 6.2. I have a few questions.

1. Should I do this with a Range device or use a tuner to disable it in the computer? Opinions?
2. I have heard that the Range device will drain your battery if the car is not driven a lot. Is this true?
3. Will disabling the AFM decrease potential lifter problems?
TX2011SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Hello these are great questions. First off even by disabling the removal of fuel management you are still at same risk of lifter failure that these are known for. We suggest doing a complete delete kit so you do not run into that. We also would suggest a tuner over the range device because you get added performance benefits as well. Any questions message me or call me at 313-561-5500 my name is Jake also check out our site for the DOD delete kits here is a link
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/shop/page/6
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Tune it out and get the benefit of of some performance and most importantly the transmission tune. Hit up Dynosteve on this forum he is great!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Tune it out and get the benefit of of some performance and most importantly the transmission tune. Hit up Dynosteve on this forum he is great!
Good advice, Steve also does free tune updates if you want to add headers ect. later.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
skippa1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2011SS View Post
I want to disable the AFM (Active Fuel Management) system on my 2011 SS 6.2. I have a few questions.

1. Should I do this with a Range device or use a tuner to disable it in the computer? Opinions?
2. I have heard that the Range device will drain your battery if the car is not driven a lot. Is this true?
1. A Range device can be put in and taken out whenever you want, by you. Tune will also disable the AFM but it will remain off until you plug it into a tuner/computer and reverse it.
2. It will.
3.AFM has nothing to do with the lifters, it is a electronic function based on a number of parameters will drop 4 cylinders. The lifter failure issue is due to VVT or variable valve timing which is totally disconnected from AFM
skippa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
1. A Range device can be put in and taken out whenever you want, by you. Tune will also disable the AFM but it will remain off until you plug it into a tuner/computer and reverse it.
2. It will.
3.AFM has nothing to do with the lifters, it is a electronic function based on a number of parameters will drop 4 cylinders. The lifter failure issue is due to VVT or variable valve timing which is totally disconnected from AFM
Uhh negative the lifters on the deactivated cylinders depressurize of there oil and don’t open the valves when running on 4 cylinders. The cylinders that have deactivation have completely different lifters than the normal cylinders and they are known to be weak. Vvt has nothing to do with the lifters, vvt is controlled by the cam phaser.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Question

Quote:

1. Tune it out. You’ll love the new tune for the transmission that a good tuner will give you far above that of whatever throttle response you would get out of a range product.
2. Potentially. Many here have reported this issue.
3. No. No more than if it was enabled as designed.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:

1. Either nets the same end result. However, a tuner is likely to only charge you $50-$60 to do this (that's what we charge anyway), a range device is $199

2. It shouldn't

3. Doesn't impact it either way.

Honestly I would just get a full tune if I were you, not only will it turn off the AFM if you want, but also tuning the engine and transmission nets some great gains in power and responsiveness.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #9
skippa1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Uhh negative the lifters on the deactivated cylinders depressurize of there oil and don’t open the valves when running on 4 cylinders. The cylinders that have deactivation have completely different lifters than the normal cylinders and they are known to be weak. Vvt has nothing to do with the lifters, vvt is controlled by the cam phaser.
opps....my bad....as you were
skippa1 is offline   Reply With Quote