Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Discovered this today:

Gonna have to order some new endlinks.
That's way off.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
njdad61

Drives: 2020 Satin Steel 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Thank you. I will probably have them do my endlinks once they come in.

I got my car back from the dealership today and they didn't fix the problem! After I took the keys and I was in the parking lot, I wanted to get down on my back and check and see if they fixed it, but I held myself back, and decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. As soon as I pulled in the drive way, I grabbed the surefire and looked underneath. Lo and behold, the spring was STILL popped out of the perch. I called them back and told them and got nothing but excuses. They said bring it back in at 9am tomorrow and they would fix it while I wait. We'll see how this goes.

I should also add that they had my car from 10am until 1630.

They claim they fixed it, and that it must have popped back out again. Yeah, we'll see.

I'm so mad right now at the lack of quality customer service oriented installers in the San Diego area. This is effin BS.
I don't know if you have any kind of mechanical background, but the only person you can 100% trust is yourself. I've never worked on anything suspension-related, but I'm installing my springs myself. I've done all of the work so far on my car and if something goes wrong, which it hasn't (knock on wood!), I learn and fix it.

On another note, I took my 2011 to the dealership for warranty work for the first and last time early last year. I sat in the parking lot while my car sat in the bay (untouched) for 3 hours. They had no idea I was there waiting. I got a call saying the work was done, then I walked in and made them look like idiots in front of every customer in the place. I'll NEVER take my car to a dealership again. Sometimes, if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.
  • Arrived 8/13/19
  • Home 8/16/19
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
ChargedCamaro

Drives: Twin Turbo LSX Camaro
Im sorry to hear about your horrible experiences here in SD, I drove up to Cunningham to get my car tuned and other goodies put on, I have nothing but great things to say about the guys up there!!! Well worth the hour drive and assurance things will be done correctly!!
ChargedCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
I don't know if you have any kind of mechanical background, but the only person you can 100% trust is yourself. I've never worked on anything suspension-related, but I'm installing my springs myself. I've done all of the work so far on my car and if something goes wrong, which it hasn't (knock on wood!), I learn and fix it.

On another note, I took my 2011 to the dealership for warranty work for the first and last time early last year. I sat in the parking lot while my car sat in the bay (untouched) for 3 hours. They had no idea I was there waiting. I got a call saying the work was done, then I walked in and made them look like idiots in front of every customer in the place. I'll NEVER take my car to a dealership again. Sometimes, if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.
Couldn't agree more with you. If I had the space, I would just throw the car up on jacks, rent a spring compressor from autozone, and just do the work myself. But unfortunately, I have a garage the size of an outhouse, a sloping driveway, and a sloping street. So any work involving putting the car up on jacks is not going to happen at my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedCamaro View Post
Im sorry to hear about your horrible experiences here in SD, I drove up to Cunningham to get my car tuned and other goodies put on, I have nothing but great things to say about the guys up there!!! Well worth the hour drive and assurance things will be done correctly!!
Well put. I ordered some Pfadt endlinks, so I think I'm going to have them do the install for that. Also I was going to have my car dyno tuned at RPMM, but I think I'm going to let cunningham do it instead in conjunction with looking at my suspension.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Well, dropped the car off at Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet. $392.00 later, we'll see how it works out.
A six pack of beer would have done it to come fix it here. Glad you got it taken care of though.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
A six pack of beer would have done it to come fix it here. Glad you got it taken care of though.
They DID NOT fix it. Taking it back in tomorrow morning.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LSX Dr. View Post
If the rear springs are out of the top perch it can be fixed in 1 minute with a floor jack and a prybar.
You're right, and if I had a flat place to jack the car, it would have already been fixed by now.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #22
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
They DID NOT fix it. Taking it back in tomorrow morning.
Yeah saw that after I posted and scrolled down the rest of the way. So what the hell did you pay $392 for??? That's gotta tick you off.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
monstertodd

Quote:
Yeah saw that after I posted and scrolled down the rest of the way. So what the hell did you pay $392 for??? That's gotta tick you off.
Oh yeah, I'm ****ing pissed. I already called them earlier. They said to bring it back at 9am and they would fix it while I wait. We'll see how this goes. Hopefully this isn't a problem with the spring itself.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm ****ing pissed. I already called them earlier. They said to bring it back at 9am and they would fix it while I wait. We'll see how this goes. Hopefully this isn't a problem with the spring itself.
Demand your money back and they fix it. They have no excuses.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
monstertodd

Update:

Took the car back to the dealer this morning. They fixed it, and when I got home, the Pfadt spring had become unseated AGAIN.

Going to get in contact with Pfadt now and see what they say.

The dealer ordered a new spring retainer seal under warranty but won't be in until next week.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Something is not right there. A ton of people running these springs myself included and your the first I have heard having this problem. I suspect this is the symptom of a greater problem. Have you measured the height of your car at all four corners to check for differences from drivers side to passenger side? I would bet you're sitting higher on the passenger side for some reason. Perhaps something is binding which is keeping the full weight of the car off that corner? Keep us informed as you move through the troubleshooting process. Thanks.

Travis

Quote:
Update:

Took the car back to the dealer this morning. They fixed it, and when I got home, the Pfadt spring had become unseated AGAIN.

Going to get in contact with Pfadt now and see what they say.

The dealer ordered a new spring retainer seal under warranty but won't be in until next week.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
monstertodd

Quote:
Something is not right there. A ton of people running these springs myself included and your the first I have heard having this problem. I suspect this is the symptom of a greater problem. Have you measured the height of your car at all four corners to check for differences from drivers side to passenger side? I would bet you're sitting higher on the passenger side for some reason. Perhaps something is binding which is keeping the full weight of the car off that corner? Keep us informed as you move through the troubleshooting process. Thanks.

Travis
I will keep this thread updated as troubleshooting progresses. Yea, this is the only time I've ever heard of this problem happening with a drop spring on a 5th gen. The only shop that I know of that has any solid experience with Pfadt componentry and 5th gen camaros is Cunningham Motorsports in Murrietta. So I think that will be my next stop.

I have not measured but I will do that.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
monstertodd

Just measured ride height on the right rear and left rear. I don't have a tape that measures in MM so I used inches.

Driver's rear: 26 1/2"

Passenger rear: 26"

Half inch too high on the drivers side. but this is probably due to the spring being unseated and canted.