Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #85
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Propane is VERY effective at finding vacuum leaks. I would not waste any time on this issue until you put a tune in it. You made quite a few changes in the engine and should not expect it to run properly until tuned. No difference when you swap out a stock cam, car is not going to idle, stall, and all sorts of problems until you upload a tune. I understand your car has a tune in it but that was based off of the previous engine configuration. You changed compression, lift, duration do you really expect it to run properly without making changes in the tune file?
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #86
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The tuner must have a sound engine to tune so Randy should check for leaks first.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #87
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
Propane is VERY effective at finding vacuum leaks. I would not waste any time on this issue until you put a tune in it. You made quite a few changes in the engine and should not expect it to run properly until tuned. No difference when you swap out a stock cam, car is not going to idle, stall, and all sorts of problems until you upload a tune. I understand your car has a tune in it but that was based off of the previous engine configuration. You changed compression, lift, duration do you really expect it to run properly without making changes in the tune file?
Understood. I don't plan on driving the car till I get it tuned.

But Pete is right about making sure it's sound. I'd be shocked to find out that a tune could cause brake issues........ right? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The tuner must have a sound engine to tune so Randy should check for leaks first.
You are quite correct. If fact the guy tuning my car says he doesn't fix cars on the dyno. He tunes them. lol

Fixing is another time.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #88
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
But Pete is right about making sure it's sound. I'd be shocked to find out that a tune could cause brake issues........ right? lol
A small vacuum leak is not going to cause overall low vacuum at the booster. A tune will. Go find a small block chevy with a distributor, retard the timing and see what happens to the vacuum.
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #89
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
A small vacuum leak is not going to cause overall low vacuum at the booster. A tune will. Go find a small block chevy with a distributor, retard the timing and see what happens to the vacuum.
hopefully all will be fine once I get it to the tuner.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #90
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
What's the word?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #91
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
What's the word?
The tuners I've talked to just can't get to it right now. So the car is sitting again.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #92
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I know a guy....
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #93
PQ
Booooosted.

I know you do. haha
Old 09-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #94
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Bypass is opening fully and no leaks on the hose.

Could be this cam with a stock TC and the 1800 stall?

Those pulleys are a bitch while installed. I do have a small serpentine I can possible put on bypassing the front drive pulley of the blower.

Vengeance tuned it last time. They absolutely over looked this issue somehow.

Yup. It really is down to vacuum.

So tune, leak, cam caused, or overdrive pulley caused.

haha, I did propane torch. Seen it work before but not sure how effective.

I do not have my catch can installed yet and my Maggie did not come with one.

I'll try the carb cleaner instead of the propane.
That cam on a naturally aspirated car would require at least a 3200 stall. Not sure if having boost changes that but I could easily see you overpowering the brakes with the stock converter.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #95
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
That cam on a naturally aspirated car would require at least a 3200 stall. Not sure if having boost changes that but I could easily see you overpowering the brakes with the stock converter.
Brakes should still hold in reverse but just be hard. Still doesn't explain the low vacuum.

I'm guessing a little of both. It drives fine the way it us untuned. Tuning this week so we'll see. Either way I will have to get a stall. Tuner will tune for the stall at next to nothing once I get it.