Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Question GM payback of government loans affect Z28?

Do you think GM paying back its government loans brings them closer to controlling their own destiny, therfore bringing us closer to Z28 or other performance car production?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Well the government has been pretty much hands off on the product portfolio, so no, I don't think it changes too much in that respect.

But keep in mind the loans are only one portion of the deal. The government is the number 1 stock holder. So GM needs to go public and the Government sell their interest in GM to be fully independant.

But thennnnnn you get into the question of who buys that stock when GM goes public.

What if the Sierra Club somehow managed to buy 20 Billion dollars worth of GM stock? Yikes!!!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Da Hose
ACCOUNT HOZED BY GN......

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS #26731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Well the government has been pretty much hands off on the product portfolio, so no, I don't think it changes too much in that respect.

But keep in mind the loans are only one portion of the deal. The government is the number 1 stock holder. So GM needs to go public and the Government sell their interest in GM to be fully independant.

But thennnnnn you get into the question of who buys that stock when GM goes public.

What if the Sierra Club somehow managed to buy 20 Billion dollars worth of GM stock? Yikes!!!!!

then they scrap the volt and we all drive prius's?

I'd bet $100 that you smile like that all the time, even in your sleep... and you don't snore when you sleep, you giggle.

Da Hose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Cmaro214

Drives: 2010 ABM 1LT/RS Camaro "Blu Bruzr"
Quote:

i doubt the govt would give up there stock, this is govt we talking here. by controlling the mega car company they can have a lot of power in the auto world with a twist of their wrist.

VIN: 2G1FB1EV6A9178865
Cmaro214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
I know when they release their IPO stocks I'm snapping up a few hundred. Later more maybe. I believe in them. Just because I'm diversifying with some Boeing and Ford doesn't mean I haven't lost faith in my commanding officer.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Dude. I just had a shiver down my spine. You might as well scream "WE'RE GOING DOWN, GOD HELP US" while on a plane.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Dude. I just had a shiver down my spine. You might as well scream "WE'RE GOING DOWN, GOD HELP US" while on a plane.
As much as it shames me.. I wouldn't save that plane. I'd let the SC lost their money in the cataclysm.

Though, for years.. I'll be
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmaro214 View Post
i doubt the govt would give up there stock, this is govt we talking here. by controlling the mega car company they can have a lot of power in the auto world with a twist of their wrist.
They have no interest in operating GM. They have no interest in keeping GM.

The power of the US government is on a somewhat different level than that of a car company. They can pass regulations to make every automaker selling cars in the country do just about anything they'd like, whats the point in directly controlling just 1?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmaro214 View Post
Too bad. They're going to do it.

And they haven't done anything to interfere with GM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
GM will have to sell a heap of the new Aveos, which'll be produced at the Lake Orion facility in a couple of years, to offset the considerable carbon-footprint of a 'hose monster' Z28. Carbon trading, the reality and the appearance of Eco-friendliness is going to play a huge part in the Industry going forward. Enjoy the ongoing renaissance of the muscle-car, as we know it now, while it lasts.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
GM will have to sell a heap of the new Aveos, which'll be produced at the Lake Orion facility in a couple of years, to offset the considerable carbon-footprint of a 'hose monster' Z28. Carbon trading, the reality and the appearance of Eco-friendliness is going to play a huge part in the Industry going forward. Enjoy the ongoing renaissance of the muscle-car, as we know it now, while it lasts.

Problem solved.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Bringing the Volt technology into the mainstream would help. Volt as constituted, even with hefty government underwriting of the cost will take a while to catch-on. Wonder how that'd fit into a Z28?
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:

Very unlikely to happen. You have to get special SEC approval to own more than 5% of a companies stock. I doubt the Sierra Club would get such approval.