Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-22-2021, 02:37 AM   #1
Folbjo

Drives: Camaro SLP ZL575
Possible purchase of 2013 ZL1, what to look out for

Want to buy a 2013 model ZL1, and need some advice. Is there anything about these cars that you should check extra before making a purchase?

I'm going to buy an original car with low miles
Modifications may come eventually. I will definitely have problems registering after import if it is not original. I do not want that.

What about cab. Will there be problems with the mechanical here, or does this work well? Is it reliable?
Thanks for reply
Folbjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
Check the rear tires, I don’t understand, but I only get about 8000 miles before they need to be replaced......weird?
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Pretty sure there are forum members from Norway. They would have the most useful perspective.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
People that like musclecars laugh at my nearly bald rear tires
Sometimes I think of buying new ones but then I'd be wasting tread on $1000 pair of tires, now I don't need to worry about that.

Common problems on the ZL1-
Heat ac blend door. Many threads on that. If the AC doesn't blow cold when the engine coolant is hot, that would be a clue it is broken. Fix can cost $3000, $20 part and $2900 labor. It might break your windshield also on removal and replacement. The hud windshield is also expensive $800.

Magnetic shocks leak. A very small dampness is ok but dripping down to near the bottom is considered needing replacement. They are more expensive per shock and there are no aftermarket options. $500 each.

The supercharger coupler needs to be replaced with a solid coupler. The part cost only $20 but replacement has a few hours work to complete. If not the bearing is ruined and will require a rebuild. The common symptom is a rattle at idle that sounds like glass marbles or bearings rolling around in a metal can. The dealer will replace the entire supercharger unit and not repair it, but repairs are simple and cost effective.

The GPS navigation stops working. I don't know how to repair it because it requires a dealer's computer to work on. So there are no do it yourself'ers like on this forum have tips on how to get it working again.

Electric power steering is broken, seems to be mostly only cars with a loose ground connection. There is a ground point that must be messed with if doing a Cold Air Induction modification. It is good to keep the same connection point and clean it and make sure it is tight. There is a diagram on the forum somewhere of grounding points and it would be good preventative maintenance to make sure they are clean underneath and tight every 5 years. Overcoat them with a paint or sealant after they are assembled.

There are not valvetrain problems like in the other Camaro's. They v6, SS, and Z28 have lifter problems or timing chain problems or rocker bearing or broken valve spring problems that destroy the engine when they break sometimes.

The drivetrain is strong in the ZL1. It is a good choice I believe. It can easily be boosted with higher ratio pullies to more hp.

Other cars have common and expensive problems like the Dodge Hellcat and it is not a better car.

Last edited by silversleeper; 05-22-2021 at 12:45 PM.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
Folbjo

Thanks for the good advice regarding my questions silversleeper.
Very grateful for advice and input. Do not want to buy problems, so I am very happy for advice.

What about 2012 versus 2013. Is there any reason not to choose a 2012?
Regarding stereo, it is easy to upgrade to a 2 din stereo with everything
Old 05-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folbjo View Post
Thanks for the good advice regarding my questions silversleeper.
Very grateful for advice and input. Do not want to buy problems, so I am very happy for advice.

What about 2012 versus 2013. Is there any reason not to choose a 2012?
Regarding stereo, it is easy to upgrade to a 2 din stereo with everything
I find the 2013 to be reliable. I just listed common problems. If you keep good ground connections and have a solid supercharger isolater/coupler you might drive it 300,000km with no problems. The shocks will likely leak before that mileage but they don't leak on all cars nor do all things break except the coupler and heater blend door. You can choose to not turn it to full cold to help prevent that door breaking.
The head unit is integrated and I haven't seen any aftermarket parts I would want to change it to. They can make steering wheel and functions not be displayed or not work. So if you get a 5th gen I'd say mostly be happy with the mylink factory oem unit. There are a few threads on people replacing it but they do not talk about what is now missing, or the new one burning out.
I don't think there is much better or worse if you buy 2012 to 2015 except the oem head unit and I think 2012 had the old style hydraulic power steering instead of the electric used on later models. I have heard of them going out so I don't think they are "more reliable".
Oh I'd re-inforce the intercooler brick while replacing the coupler. They weld on a plate on the end because sometimes they collapse under pressure, especially if you ever increase the boost. It is a $100 upgrade that is effective.
Good luck with your decision. You'll find most people love their 5th Gen ZL1s and do not have lots of problems with them. To me it is the best most fun American brand car or truck I've owned. Some forum members switched to 6th Gen or Z06 or Hellcat and had more reliability problems and were not happy. I won't go off topic so far to say those problems except transmission and intercooler failures etc. Bigger problems and more often than the 5th ZL1.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
Folbjo

Thank you sir for the advice and recommendations.
Not dangerous to buy a car with such good help

Have not been to this part of the forum before.

Has 2 Camaro SLP ZL575 from before. A guy I know persuaded me to sell one to him.
Have bought a Hendrick 25th Annyversary recently, but I will have a ZL1 as my daily driver was the plan.

The ZL1 is a dream car for me, and I'm looking forward to finding one
I like to read up on experiences and things you should do with your cars. I like to take precautions before the injury is a fact.
This along with frequent service is the way for me
Old 05-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #8
12oclockshadow

Drives: 2012 ZL1 M6
My 2012 zl1 has been my favorite car I've ever owned. I have had several other camaros vettes etc...They take mods very well and doesn't really hurt drive ability. All good points mentioned above so I won't repeat. All cars have there big small issues however 5th gens seem to be some of better markets out there. I don't think you can go wrong just use some common sense of course with any used car as you don't know the past history.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folbjo View Post
Thank you sir for the advice and recommendations.
Not dangerous to buy a car with such good help

Have not been to this part of the forum before.

Has 2 Camaro SLP ZL575 from before. A guy I know persuaded me to sell one to him.
Have bought a Hendrick 25th Annyversary recently, but I will have a ZL1 as my daily driver was the plan.

The ZL1 is a dream car for me, and I'm looking forward to finding one
I like to read up on experiences and things you should do with your cars. I like to take precautions before the injury is a fact.
This along with frequent service is the way for me
They are good for daily drivers. You would need snow tires of course if winter, and please understand the ZL1 has worse km/g or mpg than the other Camaros. I don't think I've read mpg on the SLP's as they were blower add on's to a SS which isn't the same engine and heavy duty drivetrain. e85 brings my combined city highway mpg down to 16mpg. Gasoline highway mpg can be 20's mpg if not going above 70mph. If you drive a long distance daily this could be a reason not to get this car. Europe countries are usually expensive gas prices per liter. $8/gal in Norway

Last edited by silversleeper; 05-22-2021 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:48 PM   #10
hkittrell

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
They are good for daily drivers. You would need snow tires of course if winter, and please understand the ZL1 has worse km/g or mpg than the other Camaros. I don't think I've read mpg on the SLP's as they were blower add on's to a SS which isn't the same engine and heavy duty drivetrain. e85 brings my combined city highway mpg down to 16mpg. Gasoline highway mpg can be 20's mpg if not going above 70mph. If you drive a long distance daily this could be a reason not to get this car. Europe countries are usually expensive gas prices per liter. $8/gal in Norway
Pushing five a gallon here bro, you should know.
hkittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:49 AM   #11
okjuvkam

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Can`t go wrong getting a 5.gen Z. And owning one in Norway is a blast I have had mine for 6 months now. I have a 2012, and besides the Mylink i dont think there is any other differences, and as you know both FM radio and US navigation is useless in Norway, so i have setled for a hidden DAB adapter or using spotify on my phone via the cars Bluetooth.
Are you on facebook ? We have a 5.gen owners group of Norway if you want to join us.
Nice buy on the Hendricks/Callaway car, would love to see that in person

Regards
Ole Kristian
2012 ZL1 #428
okjuvkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:31 AM   #12
Folbjo

He he, I'll not use it on winter silversleeper.
Have a buddy who does, but I just get a stomach ache from thinking about it.

Regarding fuel consumption, I measure in smiles per gallon.
If you choose to buy such a car, you must accept somewhat higher consumption.
Did not know that the ZL1 had another engine, and I did not know that it also had a heavy duty drivetrain. Good news

okjuvkam, what city do you live in? I live in Tønsberg, but spend a lot of time in beautiful Lofoten.

Regarding the Hendrik 25th Anniversary Camaro, I came across a great car.
Only 2500 miles, and like new. One fun thing about this car.
Sat and ordered the Certificate of Authenticity on Callaway's website for the specific car.
After about 10 minutes, the phone rings. Hi Bjorn, this is Reeves Callaway calling ......
We had a nice chat in about 15 minutes. Here we are talking service!

No I'm not on facebook okjuvkam. Sends you a private message a little later
Attached Images

Last edited by Folbjo; 05-23-2021 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:57 AM   #13
okjuvkam

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
okjuvkam, what city do you live in? I live in Tønsberg, but spend a lot of time in beautiful Lofoten.
Valdres her, har slekt på Tolvsrød/Ringshaug da
2012 ZL1 #428
okjuvkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #14
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
That sure is pretty bling on the blower. I've never seen anyone remove the hood vent and replace with solid plastic. If you push it, you may want to consider replacing the vent and keeping the clear plastic for show days.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote