Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #169
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Ugh! Have to do a presentation at work tomorrow so can't take the day off. Science presentations are no fun, let me tell you.

VMAX will go on Sunday morning.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #170
Camaro_krazee
COTW 5/26/14

Drives: '12 2LT/RS; '14 2SS/RS LS3 SSE
Well, nutz on the Science gig...hope it's not as painful as anticipated.

Document that ptb install with lots of pics...that is of great interest to me!

Have a good one, my friend!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #171
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_krazee View Post
Well, nutz on the Science gig...hope it's not as painful as anticipated.

Document that ptb install with lots of pics...that is of great interest to me!

Have a good one, my friend!
I have to explain transposon hopping to a room of not really molecular biologists
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 07-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #172
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Ugh! Have to do a presentation at work tomorrow so can't take the day off. Science presentations are no fun, let me tell you.

VMAX will go on Sunday morning.
Duty calls. I am disappointed to have to cancel customer golf this afternoon after a mandatory management meeting got called for 2-4:00 this afternoon. Sunny, 80, no humidity here today. Arrrrgggghhhhh.

I will be interested in your review of your PTB-a proper scientific experiment, changing one parameter at a time (unlike me!)
Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #173
Muscle Car Lover

Presentation at work went fine.

The garage door repair service was at the house today, both doors now sporting brand new springs and safety retention wires. Good to go!

VMAX on Sunday. I need to check my MAF and make sure its a "strong" one. Guess I should have done it before but forgot.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #174
Camaro_krazee
COTW 5/26/14

Yay on the garage doors! Those springs could be deadly if they hit a person just right.

Looking forward to the pics and the review of tomorrow's mod install!

Happy Trails!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #175
Muscle Car Lover

I posted this in the Cosmetic forum, but I was so psyched at how good Christine looked today I wanted to add it to my journal.

I am pretty new to cosmetic maintenance. Used to just take the cars through the car wash for the most part. I wanted to do better for the Camaro, so embarked on the DIY way. Of course results are 1000% better, thanks in no small part to the information I learned here at C5.

My new 2014 Camaro (Christine) is black. Which is awesome and also sucks donkey b#lls, because it's black. Most likely my 1st and last black car. Unless I get a GNX

I had thoroughly cleaned the car using Adam's awesome shampoo a week after she arrived, then sealed the Xpel film using the Xpel sealant. I then did a heavy wax using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. Car looked ridiculous awesome! Until it left the garage, because it's black

I washed and did another coat of wax to really protect the car 2 weeks ago. Now I wash once a week an I started using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax. This stuff is insane awesome!!!!

Cleans everything, even bugs that met a sorry end on your front bumper. Leaves a really nice shine and quality finish when dried (wiped down with towels). I drove my 1st long trip today in the car (about 50 miles one way for a graduation party) and this was the FIRST time I was actually glad to have a black car, because Christine was a knockout!

If you have waxed your car well and just want a fast wash and go, I can say this stuff is very cool. Wash with mitt, rinse, dry, 30 minutes total time.

I like this stuff:
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2014, 04:01 AM   #176
Indydriver

Looking good! One of the pressures of owning one of these cars is that you can't go anywhere with it dirty. I've got a local club picnic today at noon so I've got to spend the entire morning cleaning wheels, washing and glossing. White wheels are coming off next weekend so I can use the Pirellis while it's hot. Stopped in at Discount Tire-who seems to be the only ones who will guarantee no damage to custom wheels-to get a quote on swapping tires on my two sets of wheels and they want $275. Ouch! I may just wait until one set is worn out.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #177
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Looking good! One of the pressures of owning one of these cars is that you can't go anywhere with it dirty. I've got a local club picnic today at noon so I've got to spend the entire morning cleaning wheels, washing and glossing. White wheels are coming off next weekend so I can use the Pirellis while it's hot. Stopped in at Discount Tire-who seems to be the only ones who will guarantee no damage to custom wheels-to get a quote on swapping tires on my two sets of wheels and they want $275. Ouch! I may just wait until one set is worn out.
I've not gone to a few C&C's because my car was dirty. You cannot show up riding dirty! Lol the pressure is immense!!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #178
Muscle Car Lover

Finally had some time today to do the VMAX install.

Installation
- I disconnected the battery for the install. While there is not a 100% clear consensus, it seems the computer re-learns faster after a mod if the battery has been disconnected. Also, I just don't like live juice running through a car I am working on. Just a preference.

- I pulled my MAF sensor to see if it was a "strong" or a "weak" unit. Part was stamped K18 which is a "strong" MAF so no issues going forward with the install.

- It was difficult to get the stock air intake off the throttle body and the air box! I did not want to break anything, but wow, that was the hardest thing to do.

- The bolts (4 10mM bolts) that the throttle body are attached with are NOT TIGHT AT ALL. I mean, 1/8 turn after finger tight! Keep this in mind about this mod, I have read horror stories of stripped threads in the intake manifold and CEL's going off due to over doing it on the bolts.

- I should note here the Apex Catch Can is working, no oil in the throttle body at all. Usually see a bit on non catch can equipped cars. Good stuff.

- Easy install, maybe 30 minutes total. Most of that was getting the air intake tube off.

Impressions
I got everything buttoned up and started the car. It idled a bit high at first then settled in ~600 RPM. Silky smooth, much smoother than before. Already I had a good feeling. Let it idle for 10 minutes, no CEL and nothing seemed off. The engine sounds more throaty and it is a louder burbling. I turned her off and got cleaned up.

- The throttle response is crazy better. I really mean that, night and day difference. I read on another post about the VMAX unit the perfect line, he gets all the credit:
Quote:
"before it seemed like I was sending a request to the throttle to open up, now it just goes and I feel more connected with the car."
Could not agree more, response is immediate.

- The biggest AWESOME factor are two gears that get a new lease on life. 2nd gear RIPS now. I mean no lag at all and she pulls fast through the RPM range. This is HUGE, the car launches like a rocket when shifting to 2nd now. BIG difference. In my original review I noted that 5th and 6th gears were almost a waste as there was no pull in them at all. I know overdrive gears, but still. 6th still is flat but 5th!!!! OMG 5th gear! I can pass cars easily with a blip of the throttle now. No delay, no "bog" for lack of a better word. Really excited about this, much improved.

Overall, a great mod. This expands the car so much and improves driveability in a way you can hear and feel. If you return your old throttle body (I did not) this mod is only $150! Best bang for the buck IMO. Love it. Big thanks to Phil of Tampa Tuning here on C5 for the fast delivery.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #179
Indydriver

Great write up

As you know, I've experienced similar results but wasn't sure what I could attribute to VMax since I had my tuner install one along with headers and dynotune. I had no concerns about doing the DIY but by having my tuner do it, I didn't have to pay a core charge in exchange for no real labor charge.

Just imagine how well it works with another 50 HP and a tune! Today, I did a little road trip on two lane roads posted at 55 mph. I went down as low as 50 in 6th gear (about 1000 rpm) and gradually accelerated cleanly back up to 65. I could not do this in stock trim.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #180
Camaro_krazee
COTW 5/26/14

Good job, MCL! Good info; I shall file this away for future reference!
Glad you are happy with your new mod!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #181
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
As you know, I've experienced similar results but wasn't sure what I could attribute to VMax since I had my tuner install one along with headers and dynotune. I had no concerns about doing the DIY but by having my tuner do it, I didn't have to pay a core charge in exchange for no real labor charge.

Just imagine how well it works with another 50 HP and a tune! Today, I did a little road trip on two lane roads posted at 55 mph. I went down as low as 50 in 6th gear (about 1000 rpm) and gradually accelerated cleanly back up to 65. I could not do this in stock trim.
You did a great job on yours for sure. I am trying to stay mild until next Spring but if this difference is just from the throttle body, I am scared I am going to go ape chit crazy at a local tuner with all kinds of stuff

Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #182
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_krazee View Post
Good job, MCL! Good info; I shall file this away for future reference!
Glad you are happy with your new mod!
Thanks CK! I love this piece, well worth the time and money IMO. Hope your weekend is going splendid.