Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
So, you’re saying slotted-drilled is more for show? Or does damage only occur with the stress of the track?
Essentially, yes.

Drilling introduces stress intensities all over the swept area, when means they're locations where cracking is going to start if it's going to happen at all. Then it tends to play a game of "connect the dots" until you have a rather bigger problem.

The good news is that normal street driving isn't severe enough to make this happen. Even the occasional episodes of "hard driving" in a street sense generally aren't either. You do have to be using the brakes hard enough to get them really hot for the thermal stress to be run up that high, and you have to cycle them up to and back down from those temperatures (it's this cycling that creates the fatigue that ultimately results in cracks).

A reasonable guideline might go something like "If you need any combination of high-temperature track pads, 600° brake fluid, and brake rotor cooling hoses, you definitely don't want drilled rotors".

Slotting - careful slotting anyway, avoids that problem. But as near as I've been able to observe, slotting is still more of a 'show' thing in that the slots are better places for little bits of grit to go than embedding themselves in the pads where they will score the rotors. I never noticed any improvement over plain-faced rotors in track day driving.

Norm
Old 09-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #16
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtmurillo View Post
Hello, has anyone used these amazon rotors and pads? I need to replace mine as the steering wheel shakes at highway speeds while a brake (I got the wheels re-balanced and that didn’t fix it). Just wanting to know it’s a good product and will fit my car like OEM. Thanks!Attachment 1045073
When I think of Callahan auto parts, I think of.....
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2020, 11:26 PM   #17
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono View Post
When I think of Callahan auto parts, I think of.....
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #18
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Powerstop Drilled and Slotted Rotors here as well. On my second set. Only reason I swapped from my first set was for preventive maintenance, along with a new set of pads about 10k ago. Had the previous set on for like 70k plus.

Got them off Amazon. I highly recommend them... but get them turned first at a good brake shop for a nice clean start. Chain shops aren't always the best - but I found a good Brake Masters in La Verne with a cool bunch of guys that take good care of me so don't necessarily count them out.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote