Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
NasGhost

Drives: none
2010 Camaro Hot start problem

Evening guys. Ive been having a problem with my Camaro for a while now and Im not sure what could be wrong. My knowledge of vehicle maintenance isnt vast but I know enough to get by, generally.

So, earlier this year my Camaro started having problems warm starting. To this day, she starts from cold first time, every time, but sometimes after she's warmed up she wont start at all. Lights cmon, headlights work, music is bumping, but no engine crank or stutter. Even though it didnt seem like a battery problem, the battery was older than dirt, so I replaced it. Seemed like it worked fine a few days then bam, dead again. Replaced starter motor with OEM starter, and same thing; worked fine for a while and then suddenly bam, dead again. Ive used a couple OBDII readers there is a code but its not relevant to the starting issue; its something to do with after cat O2. During a previous inspection, it was noticed that my mid-pipe had a crack in it and needed to be welded. At one point they thought that was the cause of the problem (which Im still not sure is possible) but even after the weld the problem persists. The only other maintenance that has occurred an aftermarket immobilizer was removed at my request since it was damaged and not allowing the car to start sometimes due to bad connection.

So today Ive taken it to the shop and they come back with crankshaft position sensor. Im just trying to figure out of this makes sense; most things ive read about it dont seem to make it likely. I understand that it does have a role in starting, but other symptoms such as stalling and poor performance arent there, so im skeptical. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be are definitely welcome.
NasGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
crank sensor could do that
Old 11-27-2019, 02:29 AM   #3
NasGhost

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
crank sensor could do that
But is it likely? From my understanding there would be other symptoms as well, like stalling, which my vehicle doesnt do.
NasGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
sorry NasGhost, I reread your original post. crank sensor could cause crank but no start, but you have a no crank issue. I would have gone with starter first myself. Were there any DTCs in the BCM?
Old 11-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 NPP BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasGhost View Post
Evening guys. Ive been having a problem with my Camaro for a while now and Im not sure what could be wrong. My knowledge of vehicle maintenance isnt vast but I know enough to get by, generally.

So, earlier this year my Camaro started having problems warm starting. To this day, she starts from cold first time, every time, but sometimes after she's warmed up she wont start at all. Lights cmon, headlights work, music is bumping, but no engine crank or stutter. Even though it didnt seem like a battery problem, the battery was older than dirt, so I replaced it. Seemed like it worked fine a few days then bam, dead again. Replaced starter motor with OEM starter, and same thing; worked fine for a while and then suddenly bam, dead again. Ive used a couple OBDII readers there is a code but its not relevant to the starting issue; its something to do with after cat O2. During a previous inspection, it was noticed that my mid-pipe had a crack in it and needed to be welded. At one point they thought that was the cause of the problem (which Im still not sure is possible) but even after the weld the problem persists. The only other maintenance that has occurred an aftermarket immobilizer was removed at my request since it was damaged and not allowing the car to start sometimes due to bad connection.

So today Ive taken it to the shop and they come back with crankshaft position sensor. Im just trying to figure out of this makes sense; most things ive read about it dont seem to make it likely. I understand that it does have a role in starting, but other symptoms such as stalling and poor performance arent there, so im skeptical. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be are definitely welcome.
Do you have long tube headers? If so search the forum for “hot start problem”. You’ll see LTs cause starter heat soak and also ways to over come it.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Do you have long tube headers? If so search the forum for “hot start problem”. You’ll see LTs cause starter heat soak and also ways to over come it.
Yep, sounds like the heat soak problem. Other than that it could be a defective starter relay, ignition switch, etc. Need to check if the starter is getting a signal while the car is having the problem
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I've had this problem since day one. Seemed to lag at startup everytime, whether cold or hot. After header install it got worse. But then after going from small cam to larger one, it seemed to be worse than that. After getting everyth3 ready and upgrading to 2" headers, tuner seemed to think its fuel related. After tweaking around on it, it got better, but only to the point that it was about the same as I 1st got the car. I think these cars are just destined to be this way with the battery being so far away. BTW, I have done every hot start trick that is listed here on the forum with little to no luck.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy87 View Post
I've had this problem since day one. Seemed to lag at startup everytime, whether cold or hot. After header install it got worse. But then after going from small cam to larger one, it seemed to be worse than that. After getting everyth3 ready and upgrading to 2" headers, tuner seemed to think its fuel related. After tweaking around on it, it got better, but only to the point that it was about the same as I 1st got the car. I think these cars are just destined to be this way with the battery being so far away. BTW, I have done every hot start trick that is listed here on the forum with little to no luck.
The cranking sound on the V8 is definitely slower than the V6 or any regular 4 cyl car, but his problem is that it simply doesn't start hot.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #9
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 NPP BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy87 View Post
Did you try a MSD starter? christianchevell said he tried every hot start fix too ( he’s got LTs,cammed and tuned) but it wasn’t until he installed an MSD starter that the hot start problem got fixed.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Did not try the MSD. Have an OEM AC Delco, I will definitely try that next.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
CamaroBarb

Drives: cheby Camaro
When the car won't start is the time to go through the circuit to see what is failing hot. Actually simple process, 1st thing I wood do is check for 12 volts at the starter AND that you are getting 12 volts at the starter solenoid. Also check the ground on the engine is tight. I don't have a schematic in front of me but I'll bet you are not getting 12 volts at the solenoid. It could be the starter relay (BCM may control this also) or wiring.
CamaroBarb is online now   Reply With Quote