Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Unveils Chevrolet Colorado Show Truck

Chevrolet Unveils Colorado Show Truck
Link to Press Release
Link to Article at GMInsideNews

Quote:
BANGKOK, Thailand - Chevrolet today revealed the Colorado Show Truck in advance of the Bangkok International Auto Show, where it is making its global public debut. The concept previews the next-generation Colorado midsize pickup truck, which will build on Chevrolet’s strong truck DNA and award-winning heritage. The Colorado goes on sale in Thailand later this year.

“Thailand is the world’s-largest market for midsize pickups, so this was the perfect location in which to unveil our new Colorado,” said Susan Docherty, vice president, GMIO Sales, Marketing and Aftersales. “Trucks have been part of Chevrolet’s core for nearly all of its 100-year history. The Colorado reinforces that heritage with expressive design, refinement and uncompromising capability.”

The show truck features an extended-cab body atop a high-stance AWD chassis and rides on large, 20-inch wheels and off-road tires. Power comes from an efficient 2.8L turbo-diesel engine, which produces a broad torque band for excellent cargo and towing capability.

“Although this is a show vehicle, the basic proportions and form convey the vision for the next-generation Colorado that we will bring to market,” said Brad Merkel, GM's global vehicle line executive. “It reflects a stylized version of the new truck, one that takes into account rugged dependable truck capabilities for commercial use as well as sophisticated refinement for personal-use needs.”

While the new Colorado was developed within GM’s global product development organization, engineers took careful steps to ensure it would meet local market needs. Roberto Rempel, GM's global vehicle chief engineer, lived in Thailand for several months during the truck’s development, immersing himself in the market and observing how the Thai people use their trucks and the road conditions they experience.

“Pickups are instrumental in the vibrant Thai economy and owners take great pride in their trucks, which are used for both work and personal driving,” he said. “These customers ask a lot of their trucks, so the powertrains and chassis must be very robust to earn their trust – and that’s exactly what we’ve delivered.”

Design details

The Colorado show truck’s purposeful design conveys strength through bodywork that appears tightly wrapped over the chassis and a wide, confident stance. In the front, Chevrolet’s internationally recognized gold bowtie and dual-port grille are framed by large headlamps that flow into the front fenders, and an extractor vent on the hood.

“Around the globe, pickup trucks are associated with strength, capability and function – and that’s exactly what the Colorado show truck embodies,” said Ed Welburn, GM vice president of Global Design. “Its broad-shouldered proportions are derived from nearly a century of Chevrolet truck heritage.”

Pepperdust Metallic exterior paint is accented with polished aluminum details in the fascias, as well as integrated side steps and black-masked projector-style headlamps with LED lighting elements. At the rear is a full-width LED-lit taillamp, which creates a striking appearance when illuminated.

Additional exterior details include:

A streamlined “cab collar” design with a body-color hard tonneau cover on the bed

Gray accents on the side, front and rear lower moldings

20-inch aluminum wheels featuring a “liquid metal” finish, with Stone Gray color wheel ports

Cooper 285/50R20 ZEON LTZ tires

Outside mirrors with LED turn-signal indicators.

Inside, there’s another signature Chevrolet cue: a dual-cockpit instrument panel design. It flows into the doors, with continuous lines that create a floating, wraparound effect, amplifying the Colorado’s feeling of spaciousness. Ice-blue lighting and high-quality, “double-faced” leather-trimmed seats add sophistication and refinement.

“The interior is designed to deliver a premium and inviting environment, with a greater feeling of spaciousness than is typically found in midsize trucks,” said Welburn. “There’s also great attention to detail in the execution of the features you see and feel.”

A brace of motorcycle-inspired, three-dimensional gauges stand out on the instrument panel, projecting a sporty appearance.

Contrasting trim used with the light-colored leather seating, dark wood trim accented with chrome and low-gloss and soft-touch materials are used throughout for a premium feel. A number of storage compartments are located throughout the interior, including a covered center bin for concealment of valuable items, and a large, dual glovebox.

Additional features include a dual-zone, digital climate control system and the latest in “infotainment” technology. The show truck highlights an ergonomically positioned 7-inch LCD display in the center stack, for easy viewing and intuitive control of Web access, navigation, music and hands-free phone features.

More details about the production model will be released later in the year. Please visit media.chevrolet.com for the latest updates.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65

More photos...

Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Eh.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
looks like the Ridgeline to me...
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
they put the steering wheel on the wrong side.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
the back end seems out of proportion to the front. plus that cover on the bed reminds me of that honda truck
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
That's pretty nice. Only thing I don't like are the Honda-ish moldings on top of the bed rails. Are we going to see it in the US market?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
That's pretty nice. Only thing I don't like are the Honda-ish moldings on top of the bed rails. Are we going to see it in the US market?
Not sure yet.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Hmm... Thanks Fen'

The more I look, the more I like it. It might be a little too soft, exterior-wise, for me though. I preferred the last generation more, but the proportions look nice and I really like the interior. I do have a little problem with the screen, but I can't put a finger on it...

It certainly looks promising

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Although I am not in the market for a small truck, I think it looks great! I love the center stack, really wish the ZL1 would get that type of control for the climate/radio funcitons.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
I like it, good looking rig.

I'm waiting to see if GM brings back the El Camino or a remake / rebrand of the UTE for the small truck market. If they don't, this gives me a possible alternative.

Thanks for the pictures!

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It certainly looks promising
Indeed it is.

With Ford pulling the Ranger out of the US market, if GM builds and prices this truck correctly, it'll easily pull those buyers and cut into Tacoma sales as well.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
looks like the Ridgeline to me...
That was my first thought..

Not sure, not really feeling it.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
FenwickHockey65

Keep in mind the tonneau cover and cab spoiler probably won't make production. Maybe as an option, but not standard. In overseas markets, features such as those are generally fairly popular, so that's why they're on the show truck.