Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Convertible Exhaust

So I have a 2012 2SS Convertible with GFX body kit.

What are my options for aftermarket exhausts?
I really like the Borla "s" type, but it is rather pricey and not sure if it fits.

Last edited by Jonster; 12-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Jonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I know that GM had optional axle-back exhausts for 2011 for both with GFX, and without GFX. I had it on mine (no GFX) and loved it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
I have the Solo Performance Mach-XC (the "C" is for convertible).

Question: Do you plan on adding headers at some point? I have headers and the Solo cat-back exhaust and I think it's a bit too much rumble. I cringe every morning when I start my car....tough to be my neighbor!

Loved the Solo exhaust before headers, but if you plan on adding headers, consider staying with the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust is good, just no rumble. Adding headers will add the rumble and performance. If you want rumble and will never add headers, I think you'd like Solo.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post

Question: Do you plan on adding headers at some point? I have headers and the Solo cat-back exhaust and I think it's a bit too much rumble. I cringe every morning when I start my car....tough to be my neighbor!

Loved the Solo exhaust before headers, but if you plan on adding headers, consider staying with the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust is good, just no rumble. Adding headers will add the rumble and performance. If you want rumble and will never add headers, I think you'd like Solo.
I'm considering the solo myself, but also headers in the distant future. What is a reasonable price for headers + install? Can headers be used stock or is a tune required?

I really want better sound, but was saving headers for later because I figured they would cost more and require a tune. I dont want to end up with too much rumble in the end, though.

Sorry if I threadjacked here... good info!
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRay-J View Post
I'm considering the solo myself, but also headers in the distant future. What is a reasonable price for headers + install? Can headers be used stock or is a tune required?

I really want better sound, but was saving headers for later because I figured they would cost more and require a tune. I dont want to end up with too much rumble in the end, though.

Sorry if I threadjacked here... good info!
Headers can run anywhere from $799 to $1600. Install varies, but $250-400 seems to be the norm. After headers, you'll need a tune ($400-450).

Again - I think the combo of catback exhaust and headers is too much rumble, esp for a convertible. If I had to do it over again, I'd stick with stock exhaust (which is a very good exhaust) and just let the headers add the rumble.

If I were you, I'd save up for headers and a cold-air intake (if you don't have intake yet) and install/tune them together. Headers, CAI, and stock exhaust will have plenty of growl.

You are going to get TOO MUCH advice on headers. "Buy X because of Y. Don't buy Z because the tubing/pipe is made in China." In the end, do a bit of homework and spend/buy what you are comfortable with. My Texas Speed Headers (at $799) make as much power as Kooks or American Racing (at $1600). Could I afford Kooks or AR? Yep..... but why spend the extra $$. My installer said the Texas Speed headers installed as easy as any headers he's put on a Camaro.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Tstorm180

Drives: '11 Camaro SS Conv. + '06 Silverado
I literally just ordered the Solo Axle back for my 2011 vert. Can't wait for the install!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
firemanron25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS Vert
Jonster - I have the BORLA "S Type" Touring. The tips will not fit the the GFX holes in the Rear, so I left mine off and painted the pipe black. I'll forward you som pics later. It sound awesome! I don't regret putting it on. They are worth the money...

Good luck
CDC Sports Bar, CAI Cold Air Intake, Footwell & Cup Holder LED's, Borla Catback Exhaust and Pfadt Stage II Suspension Kit, Black Taillight Bezels, MGW Short Shifter, LED Door Sills, T3 Bumper ports w/Mesh, Heritage Grill (Black), 3D Carbon Front Side Panel Vents, ZL1 Hood Insert (Flat Black Carbon Fiber).
firemanron25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
SLP Loudmouth II.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanron25 View Post
Jonster - I have the BORLA "S Type" Touring. The tips will not fit the the GFX holes in the Rear, so I left mine off and painted the pipe black. I'll forward you som pics later. It sound awesome! I don't regret putting it on. They are worth the money...

Good luck
please do! highly interested!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Sound and quality are a personal preference. I wanted loud and deep; I went cat back and got deep but subtle. Added headers and got loud and raspy. Not really I wanted, but turns a lot of heads and screams "muscle car."

There is a difference between standard exhaust and gfx systems, basically it comes down to the constricted size of the bezels in the gfx. Systems such as the Borla S or Atak simply cut off the tips and end with a shortened 3" pipe inside the bezel... the idea is to make the bezel look like a large tip.

The stock exhaust tips will fit inside the bezel if you have or can get a hold of a set. However if you go without cats on the headers; the added heat will melt the plastic around the bezels (speaking from experience.)

The majority of company make specific kits for the gfx kits; and its simply a different tip option. You can buy the MBRP square tips which fit perfectly inside the bezel, or find other options (I went with a dual 2.5" tip for each bezel) if you don't like the recessed look.

My set up (Magnaflow Competition, no cats, Stainless Works headers) sound very aggressive; but no where near what id consider "too loud." The Magnaflow by itself had a great deep growl, but only.under throttle. Near stock sounding at idle. Loved the tone, but the headers really added the volume. Dramatic change to the tone as well.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
BlueRay-J

Quote:
Headers can run anywhere from $799 to $1600. Install varies, but $250-400 seems to be the norm. After headers, you'll need a tune ($400-450).

Again - I think the combo of catback exhaust and headers is too much rumble, esp for a convertible. If I had to do it over again, I'd stick with stock exhaust (which is a very good exhaust) and just let the headers add the rumble.

If I were you, I'd save up for headers and a cold-air intake (if you don't have intake yet) and install/tune them together. Headers, CAI, and stock exhaust will have plenty of growl.

You are going to get TOO MUCH advice on headers. "Buy X because of Y. Don't buy Z because the tubing/pipe is made in China." In the end, do a bit of homework and spend/buy what you are comfortable with. My Texas Speed Headers (at $799) make as much power as Kooks or American Racing (at $1600). Could I afford Kooks or AR? Yep..... but why spend the extra $$. My installer said the Texas Speed headers installed as easy as any headers he's put on a Camaro.
Thanks. My only issue is that the tune voids the warranty. I actually hope to supercharge too, (I have to buy the fiance new boobs first) but I think all of those things are a couple of years out. I need something to close the gap. I could just save the stock exhaust, but that also seems to be more hassle than it's worth.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:

I had the Solo Mach-XC installed back in September. I think the sound and performance is almost perfect for the convertible. There's no drone at cruising speeds but step on it and you know it's there.

I've contemplated adding LT headers, but I've held off for fear they will make the car too loud. Plus I'm not quite ready to void my powertrain warranty. I will probably add Solo's HFCs early next year. Even the addition of HFCs has me concerned that it will tip the balance to the side of too loud.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Cuejo

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs
I just ordered a 13 ss drop with the dual mode exhaust.
How does that sound compared with all the aftermarket options?
It's winter where I am and I haven't heard one with the dual mode.
Cuejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
BlueRay-J

I test drove one and it sounded good. If I had it I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2