#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-30-2021, 12:42 PM   #15
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Thank you everyone for your feedback, this was great info. If anyone also has a regular ZL1 to compare to the vette as far as handling goes that would be great also.

Also some of you mentioned the vette's chasis isn't able to handle the power of the LT4 like the ZL1. Simply curious to know what you guys ment by that as I'm little confused? Thanks
I have regular ZL1 now but owned a C7 Grand Sport, which is basically a Z06 without the supercharger. The Z06/Grand Sport is a little sharper and you obviously sit lower in the car but the handling is very close between the ZL1 and C7. On the street you really won't be able to tell.

The Z06 chassis can handle the power but it requires a little more respect when pushing the car to the limit. For example, if you are pushing both cars to the limit in a turn the ZL1 tends to have better manners and offers better feedback so you can adjust and correct. The Z06 has a tendency to surprise you at the limit with snap oversteer so you have to be more on your game when really pushing the car. As mentioned this really only matters if you plan to push the car to its limit. On the street, this is not really possible.

The Camaro ZL1 was able to take the lessons learned from the Z06 and comes with 11 heat exchangers to keep it cool on track, it has the same LT4 engine, more desirable A10 or Tremec 6 speed transmissions and comes fully loaded with Recaros, rear view camera mirror, safety tech package, etc. for less money. Out of all the sports coupes on the market I can't find anything better for the money. Maybe a C8 Z51 Stingray if you are ok with a bit less power, but plan on waiting a year to get one at MSRP and it will be a 1LT Z51 for about $75k.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:23 AM   #16
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Thank you all again for the responses. It was all very helpful.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #17
juice3

Drives: 19 ZLE A10,17 SS 1LE, 16 C7R,CT5V
I have both in the garage. Taking the top out of the C7Z and driving around is really nice But the Camaro is a better cruiser.
juice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #18
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice3 View Post
I have both in the garage. Taking the top out of the C7Z and driving around is really nice But the Camaro is a better cruiser.

Simply curious, what makes the Camaro a better cruiser? More comfortable ride? Because it's a little bigger inside and sits a little higher than the vette?
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #19
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Simply curious, what makes the Camaro a better cruiser? More comfortable ride? Because it's a little bigger inside and sits a little higher than the vette?
They are both pretty tight but the Camaro has a bit more space inside. You pretty much fall into both but less of a drop into the Camaro. The main difference IMO is the chassis. Remember, the Camaro shares the chassis with the Cadillac. The ZL1 has the FE4 suspension, which gives it that buttoned down feel but when combined with the magnetic dampers it doesn't beat you up. The Camaro can go from quiet cruiser to angry beast real quick, which is one of the characteristics that make it so good.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #20
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
The Camaro is not a better cruiser and I own both.

Can they be as comfortable? Yes, but the visibility and ergonomics of the Corvette are better then the Camaro which makes it the ideal choice for a road trip car.

If your only talking about straight up seat comfort and ride quality its a wash (assuming the Camaro isn't a 1LE). Everything else is superior in the Corvette though as a cruiser.
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #21
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exia View Post

Can they be as comfortable? Yes, but the visibility and ergonomics of the Corvette are better then the Camaro which makes it the ideal choice for a road trip car.

If your only talking about straight up seat comfort and ride quality its a wash (assuming the Camaro isn't a 1LE). Everything else is superior in the Corvette though as a cruiser.
Suppose you need something to justify the extra $15-20K over a ZL1.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #22
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exia View Post

Do you have comp seats in the Z06? I did (until my brother in-law rolled it) and I have a ZL1 1LE as well and for me the recaro seats are so much better and the adjustments are better for a taller guy and the road noise in the vette was worse due to no back seat and trunk to buffer and the shifter due to the 7spd even with the mgw still was less than desirable and for those reasons i would pick my zL1 1LE over my Z06 with the Z07 pkg any day but wouldn't have gotten rid of the Z06 and I am sad its gone. If I had to loose one that would be the one and I have an ss 1le so that leaves me with 2 6th gen camaros and I would still give up the Z06 but only if I had to. I always drove my Z06 in sport mode and it didn't ride any better than my zl1 1le. I am currently on the hunt to get another one or if the lt5 comes in the camaro I will end up with that and if I can get a ZL1 1LE with the lt5 than I will get rid of my current zl1 1le and get a c7 z06 z07 with comp seats and the new zl1 1le with an lt5
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #23
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Corvette definitely the more comfortable cruiser. My ass and back would get sore in the ZL1. Not the Z06 though. If the C7s cupholders weren't so shit maybe I'd give the overall car more praise.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote