Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
Botta07

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6 , 95 Ram 2500 Cummins
Smile 23% Lower Pulley + no Cam?

I've read several threads on here about people with 18% lower pulley only running on a stock cam and supporting mods with no issues.

My question is, how big can you go on the lower pulley with the stock cam?

I want to go to the 23% lower pulley/ stock upper pulley but keep the stock cam as well. Maybe later would drop a cam in it. I know it makes more sense to do them all at the same time since you will be pulling off the lower but can anyone tell me if there would be any issues with running a 23% lower pulley with supporting mods on a stock cam?

Here is what I refer to as supporting mods:
-BAP
-Rotofab Cold Air
-Headers
-ID850s
-Afco HX
-Intercooler Tank
-oil Catch can

Is anyone running something similar to this? If so, what rwhp are you making?

Lastly, I read where anything over 18% pulley with a stock cam, you begin to pump heat into the engine. Is this true and would this still be an issue considering the upgraded hx? I dont plan to track this car. Its more of a DD for me, but it might see a drag strip one day and I do enjoy smoking mustangs on the street.

I apologize for all the questions and being a newb, just looking for some honest feedback before I invest in the remaining parts I need for my first build.
Botta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botta07 View Post
I've read several threads on here about people with 18% lower pulley only running on a stock cam and supporting mods with no issues.

My question is, how big can you go on the lower pulley with the stock cam?

I want to go to the 23% lower pulley/ stock upper pulley but keep the stock cam as well. Maybe later would drop a cam in it. I know it makes more sense to do them all at the same time since you will be pulling off the lower but can anyone tell me if there would be any issues with running a 23% lower pulley with supporting mods on a stock cam?

Here is what I refer to as supporting mods:
-BAP
-Rotofab Cold Air
-Headers
-ID850s
-Afco HX
-Intercooler Tank
-oil Catch can

Is anyone running something similar to this? If so, what rwhp are you making?

Lastly, I read where anything over 18% pulley with a stock cam, you begin to pump heat into the engine. Is this true and would this still be an issue considering the upgraded hx? I dont plan to track this car. Its more of a DD for me, but it might see a drag strip one day and I do enjoy smoking mustangs on the street.

I apologize for all the questions and being a newb, just looking for some honest feedback before I invest in the remaining parts I need for my first build.
It really depends on Fuel quality.

You are at a point where you are very efficient, and further increasing boost puts you up against the octane wall and faster climbing IAT.

If you are willing to run Torco fuel additive or race gas or E-85 then you can better benefit from a 23% lower.

I have many of my customers doing just this with great results.

To simply add more boost and pull timing so you can stay on pump gas, you will likely see diminishing returns

Of coarse you will also need to retune for the 23% and any other changes associated with the next upgrade.

Feel free to call any time for advice, parts and tuning.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Mods in signature. Pump gas only for now. It's fine for street blasts, but it would be a heat monster in the quarter or half mile. It's a monster in 50-70deg. weather, but timing gets pulled pretty quickly if it's 90deg. ambient or more, or if it's heat soaked. It made 629 in 50 deg ambient temps and not heatsoaked, but it only made 580-ish on a 90+ degree day when it was already heat-soaked. Nature of the beast, I guess.

Anyway, my car came with all the mods in the signature except the clutch. My next steps are cam, ethanol, ported blower and snout, 102TB, 5" intake. Starting with cam this winter. That's the last "must have" mod for my tastes. The rest of them are just to keep me busy and engaged with the car if I'm being honest with myself

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
Botta07

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6 , 95 Ram 2500 Cummins
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess being in eastern NC with the heat in the summer, i need to be careful about heatsoak as we have some pretty hot days out here. I dont want to add torco every time I drive the car either so I would be running 93 octane out here.

Honestly, I want a cam but not sure if it was worth the gains or not for the price.
If I do go with a cam kit which includes the cam, springs, locks, pushrods....anything else I should go ahead and replace while im in there? I see some people upgrade the oil pump. I found two on summit that are very similar except one increases volume and the other increases pressure I believe. Which one would I need? Anyone have a link or part number?
Also, I assume Its a good idea to get timing chain gasket as well. Anything else?
Botta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botta07 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess being in eastern NC with the heat in the summer, i need to be careful about heatsoak as we have some pretty hot days out here. I dont want to add torco every time I drive the car either so I would be running 93 octane out here.

Honestly, I want a cam but not sure if it was worth the gains or not for the price.
If I do go with a cam kit which includes the cam, springs, locks, pushrods....anything else I should go ahead and replace while im in there? I see some people upgrade the oil pump. I found two on summit that are very similar except one increases volume and the other increases pressure I believe. Which one would I need? Anyone have a link or part number?
Also, I assume Its a good idea to get timing chain gasket as well. Anything else?
Feel free to give me a call I will be happy to answer any of your questions. 203-753-7223

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam