Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Firefighters watch home burn to ground...

I'm not sure if I'm for or against what happened here.

Video found at this site:

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local...104052668.html

or

Name:  img2.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  154.4 KB

Name:  img3.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  548.1 KB

(If this has already been posted - please delete.)
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
I hope he paid his home owners insurance.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
I have absolutely no problem with this. Cheap ass guy didn't want to pony up a lousy $75 bucks? Burn baby, burn...
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
I hope he paid his home owners insurance.
Not sure if that was meant to be a joke, but it's the truth.

I am on the accountability side here. I've always been held to my decisions and have accepted the results of my bad desicions, wether I thought the penalty or non-benefit, was just or not.

Without knowing all of the circumstances of the family, if they knowingly didn't pay the service, I don't have a problem with the outcome.

Sounds calice I know, but I'm quite ceretain if there were lives at risk, they'd have help save lives. But if they concede to putting the blaze out after the guy offered to pay, then more people may decide to pay as they need it. And that won't work. Because then, even the people who pay may have a sub-par service. That's just the message you send to those who pay too, if you accept his late offer, it tells all the ohters that they don't need to pay till they have a fire.

It sucks that their house burned down, and had it been a neighbor of mine, I'd have been out doing whatever I could, and I'd help them however I could going forward, and I'd never say it to them unless forced to, but I'd have to be on the side of the city and the department on this one.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
Being a Firefighter/Paramedic I know my department has to respond and fight any fire or treat any emergency no matter what the tax situation is. Granted I work for a large city so maybe that is a difference. My best friend works for a Township in Ohio and they rely on tax levies to get equip, personell, fire gear ect. If their levies don't pass every 5 years, layoffs and stations start to close which in turn could make tax payers wait longer for a fire truck or paramedic unit. But to show up and just watch it burn.....I think that is an ethical violation and that resident could sue that dept/city and win big bucks!!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

I am on the accountability side here. I've always been held to my decisions and have accepted the results of my bad desicions, wether I thought the penalty or non-benefit, was just or not.

Without knowing all of the circumstances of the family, if they knowingly didn't pay the service, I don't have a problem with the outcome.

Sounds calice I know, but I'm quite ceretain if there were lives at risk, they'd have help save lives. But if they concede to putting the blaze out after the guy offered to pay, then more people may decide to pay as they need it. And that won't work. Because then, even the people who pay may have a sub-par service. That's just the message you send to those who pay too, if you accept his late offer, it tells all the ohters that they don't need to pay till they have a fire.

It sucks that their house burned down, and had it been a neighbor of mine, I'd have been out doing whatever I could, and I'd help them however I could going forward, and I'd never say it to them unless forced to, but I'd have to be on the side of the city and the department on this one.
Very well said.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
I'd sue the town or go on a rampage...

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
rodscamaro

Drives: 07' TAHOE LTZ
I pay 350.00 a year for fire department services. You don't pay and you don't get the service. Bottom line, he should have paid the money!!!!
rodscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
It says it right there.

Quote:
Each year, Obion County residents must pay $75 if they want fire protection from the city of South Fulton. But the Cranicks did not pay.
Quote:
The mayor said if homeowners don't pay, they're out of luck.
Looks pretty straight forward to me. The guy took a risk, and lost. Happens everyday. Next time he will pay the 75 bucks.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
Being a Firefighter/Paramedic I know my department has to respond and fight any fire or treat any emergency no matter what the tax situation is. Granted I work for a large city so maybe that is a difference. My best friend works for a Township in Ohio and they rely on tax levies to get equip, personell, fire gear ect. If their levies don't pass every 5 years, layoffs and stations start to close which in turn could make tax payers wait longer for a fire truck or paramedic unit. But to show up and just watch it burn.....I think that is an ethical violation and that resident could sue that dept/city and win big bucks!!!!
I respectfully disagree given the info we have.

Nobody was hurt, and this department relies on the yearly payments to provide a service. You mentioned it, that the service could become unreliable if they don't get thier money. THEN lives could be at risk. I'll bet the services get paid in that area now.......

This country has lost it's sense of personal accountability. And we have suffered for it.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, I'd have been doing what I could to help even KNOWING they didn't pay. But I just can't fault the city or department for their stand.

If more of our Gov. would take this stand we'd not be in so much trouble.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

I would have to agree with you Randy. It's horrible he had to lose his house as a result of neglecting to pay, but he should have ponied up the $75. It sounds as though he didn't agree with having to pay the fee until the time came and was in need of their services. A tough live and learn lesson, but I would have to say he will pay the fee from here on out, if they decide to stay rather than relocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Very well said.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
I understand that they have a fee for service and they expect people to pay - but it is kinda cruel to show up and watch the house burn.

It's like an ambulence ride - you get the service before you pay - they don't stand there while you're clutching your dismembered arm checking your credit card balance to see if you can afford the ride. It's after the fact that they will send you a bill.

I don't see why they can't use that method here too -- you pay up front it's $75 bucks, they show up and have to bail your cheap ass out -- then they send you a bill for a few hundred or more. Would sure as hell ensure that I paid up front instead of last minute. And they'd make a sweet deal off the cheap-o's. Maybe work something out to get reimbursed direct from homeowners so the people can't "forget" to pay.

I do think it's a little cheap of the guy to not pay $75 bucks - I mean that's not that much - they weren't looking for 700 a year - but I do think they shouldn't just stand there roasting marshmallows over his stuff.....
Why show up at all?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
but I do think they shouldn't just stand there roasting marshmallows over his stuff.....
Why show up at all?
They probably showed up to make sure that the fire didn't spread to his neighbors house since they had paid. I seriously doubt they were all sitting around cheering and fist pumping because the guy's house was burning. It was probably a preventive measure to make sure that the people who had paid would be taken care of if needed.

This was in the article. "Firefighters did eventually arrived on the scene, but only to protect the property of a neighbor who had paid the fee."
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I understand that they have a fee for service and they expect people to pay - but it is kinda cruel to show up and watch the house burn.

It's like an ambulence ride - you get the service before you pay - they don't stand there while you're clutching your dismembered arm checking your credit card balance to see if you can afford the ride. It's after the fact that they will send you a bill.

I don't see why they can't use that method here too -- you pay up front it's $75 bucks, they show up and have to bail your cheap ass out -- then they send you a bill for a few hundred or more. Would sure as hell ensure that I paid up front instead of last minute. And they'd make a sweet deal off the cheap-o's. Maybe work something out to get reimbursed direct from homeowners so the people can't "forget" to pay.

I do think it's a little cheap of the guy to not pay $75 bucks - I mean that's not that much - they weren't looking for 700 a year - but I do think they shouldn't just stand there roasting marshmallows over his stuff.....
Why show up at all?
I feel they showed up to make sure the fire didn't spread to a house that did pay the 75 bucks. I dont think they showed up just to watch it burn.