Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-04-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
DarkwingT

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Camaro
Why 5.0 are faster?

I love my camaro... Switched from stang to Chevy.

But why oh why are the darn 5.0's faster?!
I hate that..!

(that's the only stang that can normally beat an ss right? Obviously anything above as well)

The older GTs can't win right? (stock for stock)
DarkwingT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
jayscamaro
Banned

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
oh man. a lot of reasons . but just accept 5.0s will ALWAYS beat and SS in straight line. with equal driver and regular conditions. a lot of fanboys will deny but just trust me. as well as 392s. stock for stock of course
jayscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Main reason is becasue the Mustang is lighter than a Camaro.

But the older 4.6L GTs, a 5th gen Camaro should walk one of those. (stock for stock) An older GT CAN win. All depends on the drivers.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:29 AM   #4
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Every time I am in Queens all I hear about is this black SS getting stomped on

Stock vs stock it's a trade off of looks. You don't see many cars at the track on 20's, lol.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
dgriddick

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I have a 2001 4.6 Mustang GT and was playing with a 2011 or 12 Camaro... He pulled away but did not walk.. I have a auto.. Yes.. I have a 2011 SS too
dgriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
That depends, on a straight line an SS with the 1LE package is even with the 5.0, on a track, the SS with the 1LE package will destroy a 5.0 even with a track pack.

You might want to take a look at this video, cause people will say a lot of things even though they have no idea. Don't take my word for it, but this guys do this for a living.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
5.0s are unrated and are high reving V8s, so thats why they run so well. i have a camaro for the reason I'm a Chevy fan even tho them coyote's are winning
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
I swear these threads make my head explode. There is so much misinformation out there.

With the exception of a terminator anything prior to the 5.0 is a dog in the mustang world by todays standards. An argument could be made that the svt cobras at 310 hp were 'ok' but in stock form they were getting spanked by LS1 cars.

Its like the 1980s all over again.
I say all that because its like that all over again today. The new mustang has a great motor and platform for drag racing. It is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the camaro but makes equal HP to the LS3and more than an L99. Add in a good chasis for drag racing, solid rear axle and good auto transmission and it makes for a great platform. The camaro with a solid rear would be a hundred or two pounds lighter and be a lot better at drag racing. The 5.0 coyote is about equal to the LS3, which are ahead of the L99. To sum that up, 200lbs lighter, better platorm and more HP than a L99 amounts to about a 40hp difference between the two AND you have a better chasis in the Mustang for drag racing. Between a stock LS3 car and a stock manual trans coyote car it is drivers race. I'm willing to bet that the new Mustang will not be light years ahead of where it is now with the addition of IRS in straghtline speed. More weight and HP robbing complexity in the IRS. Stability controls, airbags for everyone, backup sensors, airbag sensors, all kinds of gadgets mandated by the Govt. Gone are the days of a 3200lb solid axle RWD V8 powered car from the factory.

I doubt many in here realize just how small distance a tenth is at the drag strip. If you wonder which car is faster look at trap speeds. Its not like one car traps 20 mph faster than the other in stock form. I've seen stock trap speeds all over the map from 106mph all the way to 114mph between stock SRTs, 5.0s, LS3s and L99s.

Rant/
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Who gives a shit....just sayin
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I swear these threads make my head explode. There is so much misinformation out there.

With the exception of a terminator anything prior to the 5.0 is a dog in the mustang world by todays standards. An argument could be made that the svt cobras at 310 hp were 'ok' but in stock form they were getting spanked by LS1 cars.

Its like the 1980s all over again.
I say all that because its like that all over again today. The new mustang has a great motor and platform for drag racing. It is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the camaro but makes equal HP to the LS3and more than an L99. Add in a good chasis for drag racing, solid rear axle and good auto transmission and it makes for a great platform. The camaro with a solid rear would be a hundred or two pounds lighter and be a lot better at drag racing. The 5.0 coyote is about equal to the LS3, which are ahead of the L99. To sum that up, 200lbs lighter, better platorm and more HP than a L99 amounts to about a 40hp difference between the two AND you have a better chasis in the Mustang for drag racing. Between a stock LS3 car and a stock manual trans coyote car it is drivers race. I'm willing to bet that the new Mustang will not be light years ahead of where it is now with the addition of IRS in straghtline speed. More weight and HP robbing complexity in the IRS. Stability controls, airbags for everyone, backup sensors, airbag sensors, all kinds of gadgets mandated by the Govt. Gone are the days of a 3200lb solid axle RWD V8 powered car from the factory.

I doubt many in here realize just how small distance a tenth is at the drag strip. If you wonder which car is faster look at trap speeds. Its not like one car traps 20 mph faster than the other in stock form. I've seen stock trap speeds all over the map from 106mph all the way to 114mph between stock SRTs, 5.0s, LS3s and L99s.

Rant/
People are forgetting the GT500s. The 2006+ GT500 has been a 500hp car since it came out with the 5.4L 4V supercharged motor, so I wouldn't say anything but the terminator and 5.0.

New mustang is 200lbs lighter than the old one, which was 3450-3650 depending on mods which would mean the 2015 mustang is ~3250-3450lbs if Ford isn't lying and 450+hp v8 so government mandates aren't hurting that bad.

To answer the OP, they are typically light, the straight axle and tire combinations put the power down better, in the case of the auto car they have great gearing for 1/4 mile runs. That being said either car can be modded to be fast and fun. They are both great cars.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Not all races are in a straight line. I'll take my Camaro over the 5.0 and SRT8 any day. And I'll leave them both behind me on a curvy road...been there, done that! Not bragging, just saying...our cars were made for dominating on a road course. And before y'all call me ignorant and flame me, I know they're faster in a straight line for a 1/4 mile...but put some turns in there, and we're right there with them, and overtaking them.

Disclaimer: My personal experience sighted, others may vary!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Who gives a shit....just sayin

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #13
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Challenger 392 srt8 will also waste an SS.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
That depends, on a straight line an SS with the 1LE package is even with the 5.0, on a track, the SS with the 1LE package will destroy a 5.0 even with a track pack.

You might want to take a look at this video, cause people will say a lot of things even though they have no idea. Don't take my word for it, but this guys do this for a living.

Thing is 90% percent of the challenges are off the cuff random stoplight straight line runs that never even make it to 4th gear. Less than 10% will ever see any road course track time.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote