Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2014 Camaro5 Fest (V)

Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #85
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I know my issue has already been addressed, not necessarily resolved, but that's a moot point now.

I think an explanation of your classification should be given when your car is getting teched or in the drivers meeting. That way slip ups don't happen, like me ... being a first time ever auto crosser ... and my N/A stock suspension (lowering springs) SS doesn't get put in c4.

And also it might be good to give an explanation of just how to find out whether you're in the finals or not. Because I had no idea I made it into the finals until I got on the forum on the way home! I didn't know to check myself or who to even check with!

The more I think about it the more I realize how unorganized those two aspects were. Did I have fun? Yes. Am I also competitive? Yes. With that being said, and as frustrated as I am, I'll be more than happy to help out next year at the fest to make sure things like this don't happen to other greenhorns like myself who don't know what is going on.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #86
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Drivers come in good, better and best categories. Good drivers make ordinary cars look really good. A rental Malibu posted a 26.4 on 500 tread wear tires. A rental Camaro took home a trophy. CamaroCross is 80 to 90% driver and 10 to 20% car. The classes presume the cars to be roughly equal in the hands of a good, better and best driver. If you think your car was not well classed at a CamaroCross, flip the keys to an experienced driver and ride along with them. You'll learn a great deal about car classes, your car and your skill level.

We publish the results course side, on the CC PA, on the track PA and on C5. When you leave the track after each run you see your own times. We would like to have the use of software that can broadcast mass text messages and would appreciate it if someone can provide it to us. None of that really matters. While at the course you see the times of other drivers. You know if your times are in the top competitive range without any additional information.

The best way not to miss the finals is to show up at the finals. The worst thing that can happen is you'll have a good time with your fellow C5 member watching faster drivers run. That is why we run the CamaroCross, so you can hang with your fellow drivers and have fun. This year we finished the finals and ran fun runs for 45 minutes or an hour.

The CamaroCross is run ENTIRELY by volunteers. We bring our own equipment. We staff the event. These are Camaro5 members that give up their entire FEST. ANYONE that thinks they can do a better job should call me. My number is 616.834.8100. I will be more than happy to add you to the CamaroCross TEAM. Be prepared to pay your own way to the event. Pay your own hotel bill. Pay for your meals. Be there on Wednesday night for course setup on Thursday morning at 9:00. Be at the track every morning at 7:00 to setup for the day. Work from 7am until the last run of the day and stay until the equipment is packed up. In return, your suggestions will be incorporated into the CamaroCross for FEST VI.

I sponsored FEST II, II and IV. The equipment we use at the FEST is mine. I am sponsoring the CamaroCross at FEST VI. I look forward to adding you and your suggestions to my CamaroCross TEAM.

One more suggestion for the CamaroCross, don't forget to thank your fellow Camaro5 comrades that gave up their FEST for your to enjoy the CamaroCross.

Last edited by JusticePete; 05-13-2014 at 08:53 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #87
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post

We lost our sponsor this year. We will try to do better but again, I don't know that many modded V6's showing up each year warrants the $$$ especially without a sponsor.
For the record, I spend more money shipping all the equipment to the track and back than the cost for a vendor to display at the FEST. The moderators asked me what we should call the CamaroCross years ago. I choose to call it the Camaro5 CamaroCross. The FEST is a social event for Camaro5 members and that is as it should be. As much as I provide to the FEST, my contribution pales in comparison to the efforts of the CamaroCross TEAM.

It was my goal from the day I was approached to sponsor and run the CamaroCross event to build a CamarCross TEAM that can operate with or without me, with or without a sponsor. GTAHVIT and Mr. Wyndahm can confirm this. It has taken four years, but we have reached a point where the core members of the TEAM are so strong the CamaroCross can run without me. I am very proud of the CamaroCross TEAM. You are all AWESOME!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #88
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohdeo16 View Post
I know my issue has already been addressed, not necessarily resolved, but that's a moot point now.

I think an explanation of your classification should be given when your car is getting teched or in the drivers meeting. That way slip ups don't happen, like me ... being a first time ever auto crosser ... and my N/A stock suspension (lowering springs) SS doesn't get put in c4.

And also it might be good to give an explanation of just how to find out whether you're in the finals or not. Because I had no idea I made it into the finals until I got on the forum on the way home! I didn't know to check myself or who to even check with!

The more I think about it the more I realize how unorganized those two aspects were. Did I have fun? Yes. Am I also competitive? Yes. With that being said, and as frustrated as I am, I'll be more than happy to help out next year at the fest to make sure things like this don't happen to other greenhorns like myself who don't know what is going on.
I appreciate your offer to help. Please email me your full name and mobile phone number. peter.basica@apispeed.com
Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #89
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
I wish everyone would stop complaining about this already. Does a trophy really matter that much to you guys?

Enjoy the experience. How many opportunities do you have to put your car to the limits like this? Especially with all other camaro friends?

V6/V8 doesn't matter as much as driver skill, trust me, I know. I have a modded V6 and sucked. Improve and see what happens next year, that's what I plan to do.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 AM   #90
drew.davis83

Drives: 2011 ss stock
Its not about complaining like I said had a great time and am verry thankful for the people that devoted there time was my first event and just really don't understand the classes this will be my last post on this since it seems to be such a sensitive subject
drew.davis83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #91
JusticePete

V6, less power, less brakes, less rubber, better balanced
V8 more power, four pot brakes, better rubber, less balanced

In the hands of drivers of equal skills the V8 will beat the V6.
A lightly modded V6 runs even with a V8
A more heavily modded V6 can run with a lightly modded V8
A heavily modded V6 can run with a heavily modded V8

Mods matter. My 2009 Camaro 305/30/19 wheel and tire fitment with RE-11s, the same fitment that GM selected for the Z/28 in 2013, on an otherwise stock V6 would run with the the fastest C4 cars. Add, CTS-V brakes, suspension and FI... shop car / unlimited here we come.

Put a CamaroCross alignment on a stock V6 or V8 and the car will run faster, if the driver can handle faster. Alignment is not a mod. Getting the tire pressures just right makes the car faster. Tire pressures are not a mod. Use a seat belt lock to better keep you in the driver seat, you'll be faster and it is not a mod. Run a couple of hundred CamaroCross laps or runs with the SCCA, you'll be faster and it is not a car mod. It is the ultimate Driver Mod.

All stock vehicles are not created equal.
All modified vehicles are not created equal.

Putting cars into classes is not an exact science. Putting cars in classes is an attempt to make the field some what level. We sweated the V6 classification for the first two years. Then we looked at the data. The V6 cars compete very well as currently classed, if they are well prepared and well driven. Sometimes the 6 will win. Some time the 8 will win.

Then there is the time honored tradition of bench racing that keeps everyone going until the next event.

drew.davis83 we will not be adding more classes because the participation levels, results and data from the last four years does not support adding more classes. The podium V6 cars are all driven by veteran SCCA / CC drivers. Their success is a direct reflection of their skills. That said, we had rookies loaded with talent on the podium, one in a rental. This spread of success tells us the classes do what they should do. They allow the competition to be close in times, very close in times.

Last edited by JusticePete; 05-14-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #92
mgue67

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Convertible
This was my first event and I had a great time. I thank everyone that put time and effort in to making the event happen. I look forward to next year and willing to help anyway possilbe.
mgue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #93
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Drivers come in good, better and best categories. Good drivers make ordinary cars look really good. A rental Malibu posted a 26.4 on 500 tread wear tires. A rental Camaro took home a trophy. CamaroCross is 80 to 90% driver and 10 to 20% car. The classes presume the cars to be roughly equal in the hands of a good, better and best driver. If you think your car was not well classed at a CamaroCross, flip the keys to an experienced driver and ride along with them. You'll learn a great deal about car classes, your car and your skill level.

We publish the results course side, on the CC PA, on the track PA and on C5. When you leave the track after each run you see your own times. We would like to have the use of software that can broadcast mass text messages and would appreciate it if someone can provide it to us. None of that really matters. While at the course you see the times of other drivers. You know if your times are in the top competitive range without any additional information.

The best way not to miss the finals is to show up at the finals. The worst thing that can happen is you'll have a good time with your fellow C5 member watching faster drivers run. That is why we run the CamaroCross, so you can hang with your fellow drivers and have fun. This year we finished the finals and ran fun runs for 45 minutes or an hour.

The CamaroCross is run ENTIRELY by volunteers. We bring our own equipment. We staff the event. These are Camaro5 members that give up their entire FEST. ANYONE that thinks they can do a better job should call me. My number is 616.834.8100. I will be more than happy to add you to the CamaroCross TEAM. Be prepared to pay your own way to the event. Pay your own hotel bill. Pay for your meals. Be there on Wednesday night for course setup on Thursday morning at 9:00. Be at the track every morning at 7:00 to setup for the day. Work from 7am until the last run of the day and stay until the equipment is packed up. In return, your suggestions will be incorporated into the CamaroCross for FEST VI.

I sponsored FEST II, II and IV. The equipment we use at the FEST is mine. I am sponsoring the CamaroCross at FEST VI. I look forward to adding you and your suggestions to my CamaroCross TEAM.

One more suggestion for the CamaroCross, don't forget to thank your fellow Camaro5 comrades that gave up their FEST for your to enjoy the CamaroCross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Run a couple of hundred CamaroCross laps or runs with the SCCA, you'll be faster and it is not a car mod. It is the ultimate Driver Mod.

All stock vehicles are not created equal.
All modified vehicles are not created equal.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #94
X-Factor
Chick Racer

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
I had a super blast CamaroCrossing! I'm one of the modified V6's. I changed out my sway bars which kicked me out of the stock V6 class, I ended up competing in the C2 class. I don't have lot of seat time, this was my 4th time autocrossing. My fastest time was 26.5, but I was lucky enough to have Jordan with JDP take my ride for a spin, and he got a 25.7! He gave me some great tips, and he drove my car so smooth! Many many thanks to all the folks who volunteered to help run this event!

Sent from my New and Improved Phablet!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #95
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
We will discuss classifications present it to the mods and plan away. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #96
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Former SCCA driver, completely stock Camaro with stock alignment, tires, except rear g-force. slippery ass leather seats, seat locked the seatbelt turned off all traction control, no mods whatsoever against another seasoned SCCA driver in Stock V6 class, both ran 25.3 and 25.5. placed 1st and second (me). Btw, both cars were completely stock.
Btw, we enjoyed the competition and became good friends before days end.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:10 AM   #97
Tavo32

Drives: LFX LT/RS
Pete, mike, and all the autocross crew, y'all did a heck of a job! Personally I find it funny how these V8 owners want the V6s out of their class. This was my first time autocrossing and found out very quickly that driver skill is most important here! Forrest ran great in a completely stock car other than swap of tires. I could have had my suspension completely beefed up and I know I wouldn't have came close to beating him because he is a better driver. My only disappointment was that I had to choose between autocross finals and drag racing eliminations/finals. I opted for drag racing and got 1st place in my class, but I would have loved to participate in the autocross finals!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #98
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavo32 View Post
Pete, mike, and all the autocross crew, y'all did a heck of a job! Personally I find it funny how these V8 owners want the V6s out of their class. This was my first time autocrossing and found out very quickly that driver skill is most important here! Forrest ran great in a completely stock car other than swap of tires. I could have had my suspension completely beefed up and I know I wouldn't have came close to beating him because he is a better driver. My only disappointment was that I had to choose between autocross finals and drag racing eliminations/finals. I opted for drag racing and got 1st place in my class, but I would have loved to participate in the autocross finals!
I think you made a very good decision tavo, you rocked your class!!
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote