Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 11-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #435
five-oh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
brutal night last night. I had a 256 my first game and we shot over 1200 scratch for a team. Then I shot 170 and 188 and our team had two low 900's!! We all started to get a ton of over-under. Missed right and the ball went through the nose. Missed left and it was a wash out. It took me a game to figure that I just need to move my mark in two boards and my feet right two boards plus a mph in speed.. Last five for the 188!

2007 Storm Shift with the pin under this week. Naughty ball, back to the basement with it!
five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #436
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by five-oh View Post
Naughty ball, back to the basement with it!

I have one the same. I'm gonna drill it up for my son to learn with.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #437
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Ive been bowling for 2 months now, its been a roller coaster ride as far as my average but im getting there....roughly 125 average, but last week bowled a 155 averages so its hit or miss
Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #438
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I have a yellow dot. Use it as a spare bowl, It still hooks slightly but not much. I keep it extremely polished and waxed to slide more. I can use it as a strike ball, and it hits well, but won't always carry.

I have been bowling since I was 15 in my Dad's mens league. That was back in 1979. I then bowled in a league every year for many years. For the past 10 years it was in a mixed double league and only every other Friday. I was carrying close to a 200. we stopped a last year, my kids are getting into to many things in school, sports, activities, etc. we want to be involved with all of their stuff. So we planned to stop until they graduate. Now I have my 13 yr. old son bowling the past few years so him and I are in a two game a week Saturday afternoon league. Youth and parent. I am currently carrying a 209. Best series ever 749, best game 289. I have gotten the first 10 then gave it to much room so that I wouldn't pull it bad move, it never finished.

That is my story and I am sticking with it.

I will be back to 2 nights a week when the kids graduate.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #439
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Bowling myself sense the mid 70's ! Both my parents bowled in leagues so I always taged along and started from there . Moved away from home 29 years ago and took a few years off and started throwing Darts ( still have my Hammer Head Darts) . That was big in the mid 90's to the early 2000's around here . Did some state to state traveling for Tournaments on the east coast . Highest finish was in a doubles cricket event , place 3rd against some of the top throwers in the US. Miss Darts too .
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #440
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Why is wood so hard?
I didn't have difficulty "transitioning" from the breakdown of the lanes, my main problem was the layout of my bowling balls.

Most of my equipment "gets down the lane" ie. skids through the heads and midlane which gets it through the pattern ready to break loose on the backend.

This is all due to the lanes I bowl at back at my home center. (pro-anvilane)

I have two bowling balls that pick up in the midlane (Paradigm Passion drilled RICO & a Mission), but the Mission was too aggressive for those lanes so I mainly had only the Passion to throw.

With the wood lanes at that center and the low amount of oil put on the lanes my equipment that is meant to get down the lane started hooking well in the midlane, leaving no power for the pins.

about 10 weeks through I was averaging in the 190s, something I hadn't done in a while. I went home during thanksgiving and drilled up a Storm Natural.

Came back and finished up the last 5-6 weeks and pulled my average just above a 200. I couldn't bowl the 2nd half of the league due to having class at the time of bowling, but I'm kinda glad I didn't.

Back on "topic"... wood is more difficult because like he said, the lanes transition SO fast... where you can stand in the same spot pretty much for nearly a game and a half on synthetic, after half a game I'm already moving on wood lanes.

Also, wood lanes have a "track area" which is normally located around the 10 board. The high amount of traffic can and does wear down the wood to get a small "track" to wear 80% of the league bowlers play. For me, I couldn't score well there (too tight of a line) so I had to either play right of it or deep left of it...if I tried to cross it it was so under/over it was unbelievable.

Alright, tired of typing.

haha
Old 11-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #441
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrandMrsNinja View Post
how long has everyone in here been bowling?
I've been bowling for about 10-12 years... I don't really know what age exactly I started bowling.

I have 0 sanctioned 300 games, and 1 sanctioned 800 series.

Can't believe I got 8 before I got a 3.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #442
five-oh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
I didn't know wood lanes still existed.

in Wisconsin it is still about 2/3 wood. The synthetics are creeping in though.

I don't think wood lanes transition that much quicker than wood. Unless, you get on wood that hasn't been resurfaced as much as it should and the coating has worn out. I've bowled on synthetics that transition faster than wood. Its more dependent on the type of oil being used. Some oils will carry down before they dry out.

At nationals last year I started throwing a dull Ace up 10 and by the end of the third game I was swinging a polished Victory Road between 3rd and 4th arrow. That is a lot of transition! Synthetics are also susceptible to creating a track area. There is also a ton of difference between the crap synthetics of the late 80's and early 90's compared to today's.

I've been bowling for 26 years now. No shoulder, elbow or wrist surgeries yet (as predicted by many when I was young)!
five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #443
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
On our AMF synthetic lanes we see more carry down than anything. From what I've heard our house is getting a new machine . The consistency of the machine now is bad . Start on lane 1 and by the teens who knows what the pattern is . We have 26 teams on our league and there is a big difference in the lane conditions from 1 to 26 .
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #444
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
in Wisconsin it is still about 2/3 wood. The synthetics are creeping in though.

I don't think wood lanes transition that much quicker than wood. Unless, you get on wood that hasn't been resurfaced as much as it should and the coating has worn out. I've bowled on synthetics that transition faster than wood. Its more dependent on the type of oil being used. Some oils will carry down before they dry out.

At nationals last year I started throwing a dull Ace up 10 and by the end of the third game I was swinging a polished Victory Road between 3rd and 4th arrow. That is a lot of transition! Synthetics are also susceptible to creating a track area. There is also a ton of difference between the crap synthetics of the late 80's and early 90's compared to today's.

I've been bowling for 26 years now. No shoulder, elbow or wrist surgeries yet (as predicted by many when I was young)!
I sure hope I can say this as well! Everyone tells me the same thing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the condition of the lanes that made the transistion happen so quickly at the other house. They were very worn.

I find that HPL breaks down really quick too, but pro-anvilane is a very mild breakdown (depending on the pattern)
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #445
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee sting View Post
Bowling myself sense the mid 70's ! Both my parents bowled in leagues so I always taged along and started from there . Moved away from home 29 years ago and took a few years off and started throwing Darts ( still have my Hammer Head Darts) . That was big in the mid 90's to the early 2000's around here . Did some state to state traveling for Tournaments on the east coast . Highest finish was in a doubles cricket event , place 3rd against some of the top throwers in the US. Miss Darts too .

Hell ya. I miss darts Soooooooo bad. Nobody is interested anymore. We used to finish league and go play darts. We'd have small 'In House' tourneys that we just did ourselves. Plus going out to play darts and just hang and drink back in the early to mid 90s.

Ask Bonnie about the night we finally caught her cheating. She'd wait to play til we'd all had a bunch of beers and then start winning. She'd miss the board all together and push the board when she pulled her one dart out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
I didn't have difficulty "transitioning" from the breakdown of the lanes, my main problem was the layout of my bowling balls.

Most of my equipment "gets down the lane" ie. skids through the heads and midlane which gets it through the pattern ready to break loose on the backend.

This is all due to the lanes I bowl at back at my home center. (pro-anvilane)

I have two bowling balls that pick up in the midlane (Paradigm Passion drilled RICO & a Mission), but the Mission was too aggressive for those lanes so I mainly had only the Passion to throw.

With the wood lanes at that center and the low amount of oil put on the lanes my equipment that is meant to get down the lane started hooking well in the midlane, leaving no power for the pins.

about 10 weeks through I was averaging in the 190s, something I hadn't done in a while. I went home during thanksgiving and drilled up a Storm Natural.

Came back and finished up the last 5-6 weeks and pulled my average just above a 200. I couldn't bowl the 2nd half of the league due to having class at the time of bowling, but I'm kinda glad I didn't.

Back on "topic"... wood is more difficult because like he said, the lanes transition SO fast... where you can stand in the same spot pretty much for nearly a game and a half on synthetic, after half a game I'm already moving on wood lanes.

Also, wood lanes have a "track area" which is normally located around the 10 board. The high amount of traffic can and does wear down the wood to get a small "track" to wear 80% of the league bowlers play. For me, I couldn't score well there (too tight of a line) so I had to either play right of it or deep left of it...if I tried to cross it it was so under/over it was unbelievable.

Alright, tired of typing.

haha
I try to play where everyone else isn't. I used to play a deep middle line and just barely get the ball right side to hit. Gotta be too acurate on htat like though. lol

Quote:
I've been bowling for about 10-12 years... I don't really know what age exactly I started bowling.

I have 0 sanctioned 300 games, and 1 sanctioned 800 series.

Can't believe I got 8 before I got a 3.
That's better bragging rights that having a few 300s.

Quote:
I haven't had any problems but I took 9 years off too.

Funny thing is I turn my ball WAY more than I did in the early 90s. Don't know what happened. When I came back I just was turning it lots.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #446
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:

Funny thing is I turn my ball WAY more than I did in the early 90s. Don't know what happened. When I came back I just was turning it lots.
Trying to impress Bonnie.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #447
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Trying to impress Bonnie.

She remembers the way I threw back then. I keep my hand behind the ball more now. Rather than on the side when I used to throw down and in.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #448
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:

She remembers the way I threw back then. I keep my hand behind the ball more now. Rather than on the side when I used to throw down and in.
Right Right. Likely story......