Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
wjmeyer

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS, 2LT
Need Help with starter disable hidden switch

On 8-27-10, my red 2002 Trans Am WS6 was stolen by someone who must have had a copy of my (pass-key 2) ignition key as it was gone in 30 seconds from my work lot at 11am with people I know in the lot. I am still in shock. I'm determined to not let it happen again.
On 9-13-10, I'll pick up my new 2011 2LT RS Camaro (red jewel tintcoat), with all the options. My research shows that smart thieves can beat OnStar, so I want backup security, hopefully to PREVENT the theft.
We all know that you can't start an auto. transmission car while in any gear other than Park or Neutral. I want to hide a switch (or use a relay with a remote) which interrupts the wire from the transmission switch/relay in the center console running back to the ignition. When I flip this hidden switch, the car will think the shift lever is in drive and won't start - the thief won't know why. The wiring will be mostly invisible within the console and under the carpet - hard to find by a increasingly nervous thief. I flip the switch back when I return to my car and everything is normal. This security upgrade is simple and doesn't mess with any GM plugs or modules.
Can someone with a Camaro Service manual look at the wiring diagram section and tell me what color wire leads from the transmission position switch back to the ignition - that would be the wire to cut to locate the hidden switch. A scan of that particular diagram would be even better as I can use it to add in the hidden switch/wiring to show others how to do this upgrade. I think this approach is much easier than running wires to/from the starter solenoid, etc. I'll post installation information after doing this mod to help others do this easy/cheap security addition.
For those of you who have never had your car stolen, let me assure you that it is an experience/feeling you do not want to have. And as good as these new Camaros look, they are more of a target than my 8-year old WS6. I also plan to install an affordable GPS tracker box as a second security upgrade, I'll post details of that project at a later date.
wjmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
LorneD

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT
Check your PM
LorneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Seems like it would be much easier and less complicated to install a on/off switch to your fuel pump. You can easily hide the toggle switch anywhere.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
wjmeyer

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS, 2LT
If you forget to switch on the fuel pump, it could cause problems. You can't forget this switch - the starter will do nothing, it will be as if the battery is too low to crank.
BTW, has anyone had any experience with Forcetracker or ZOOMBAK (it is a small gps tracker, see zoombak.com, recommended to me by my AT&T wireless store mgr). I'm also looking at lojack as well.

Last edited by wjmeyer; 09-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.
wjmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
there is a anti theft system that involves a magnet or something like that. you find the spot to locate it anywhere in your car and you will have the other piece that once you swipe it over it it will let you start your car, if you do not swipe it the car will not do anything.

i personally think this is your best bet. and have it installed professionally. again i forget what it is called but its cool. i guess it can do the same thing you are trying to do but is better then some switch that if a theft really wants to look can find
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
my fav on a manual is to relocate the clutch switch

almost every car i've had as a manual i have done this to and people cant figure out how to start it

i have yet to do it to my camaro but now you've got me thinking
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
jfayardiii

Drives: 2011 Silver 2SS/RS L99
anybody fee like doing a DIY on this? I'd like to so this myself.

LG headers and exhaust, 3200 Yank, EPS Cam, D1SC Procharger, all work performed by Blanchard Performance
jfayardiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Me too. I wanted to find some sort of biometric setup.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disable, hidden, service manual, solenoid, starter