Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Intake/ Air Cleaner observations and thoughts... (?V6/V8?)

So I'm drolling all over this picture and a thought comes to mind (care of Autoblog):

I've been tossing around the idea of the GMPP CAI and was a little skeptical that aside from removing any restrictions due to the baffles and chambers hanging off the passenger's side of the intake tube, just before the throttle body (TB), and the little tube-like deal jutting out of the driver's side just in front of the TB, I though there was a chance the lower intake box/ air cleaner could have some restrictive baffles/ducts/air foils/etc. and possibly leave some power on the table. I mean, I was thinking I'd look and see if the aftermarket (AM) would come out with some sort of conical air filter in a semi-enclosed chamber that was sealed from the engine compartment heat. I was thinking this option because if there were and restrictions left in the lower intake box/ air cleaner that the GMPP CAI would leave a little power on the table due to it looking like the kit strickly replaces the air cleaner top and intake tube. Here is a pic' of the GMPP kit on the LS7 Camaro SEMA car:

Anyways, I got looking at the RS/SS at the Detriot Autoshow and think I see a huge opening in the lower air box, just behind the driver's side headlight. If I'm correct, it looks like cold air, going around the headlight and through that area of the grille might get picked up by the airbox and eliminate my concerns over whether-or-not there were any restrictions in the intake path that the GMPP CAI does not address/ eliminate. SO, the question I have is: Has anyone gotten a good close-up of the lower intake box area to confirm this opening I think I see? Obviously, I could just wait and see when we start getting cars in showrooms and you guys start receiving the cars you've ordered, but my curiosity is getting the better of what little patience I have. If that opening is there, and there isn't any funny business with restrictions in what the GMPP CAI kit doesn't replace, I'm sure I'll go that route. I've said before I love the polished tube (I'm not too big a fan of what looks like a chromed intake lid, but it isn't nearly a deal-breaker) and think I'd be definately sold on this kit. No worries about water ingestion, confidence in OEM engineered durability, quality, and fit and finish. Some of the AM kits dont' always seem to keep all these in mind when they design replacement/ upgrade parts, it seems to me.

I'm just curious as to what any of you have have spent time with the car has noticed in that particular area. Thanks for any input

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
gtjacket
2G1FT1EW0A9118618

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/IOM M6
You are too advanced in your automotive knowledge for me to understand what you are asking. I hope to learn more mechanics in the future but for now all I know how to do is change oil, brakes and tune-up.
gtjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
Personally I perfer the 3 walled intake systems, similar to the ones K&N produces. I prefer its sound and the fact that it allows more air from more places

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.

Last edited by The_Beast_; 01-23-2009 at 07:05 PM.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
What he said lol
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

So no one has noticed or looked at that area?...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I understand what you're saying, radz282003, but I haven't seen any pictures of that area.

My idea with the intake is basically to get hood pins and remove the latch behind the SS mail slot. That would allow for a custom intake that is shorter and gets air in the same way that the Corvette does.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I understand what you're saying, radz282003, but I haven't seen any pictures of that area.

My idea with the intake is basically to get hood pins and remove the latch behind the SS mail slot. That would allow for a custom intake that is shorter and gets air in the same way that the Corvette does.
That's a great idea! Have you seen the 'Vette intake system from Vararam: http://www.vararam.com/competition.html These are great and I've read good reviews on their results and haven't seen much in the way of negative experiences. Even IF, for some reason, your idea couldn't work exactly, maybe someone will work on something like these guys make. Thanks for the input

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
What may surprise you is that most GM vehicles come with a semi cold air setup factory. There is always a tiny plastic tube that leads down into the fender well to a slightly cooler air supply. The problem is the rest of the restriction in the system. The GMPP product will be excellent, but I assure you that it will leave some power out that other aftermarket intakes will achieve. That box is still choking the area around the filter, whether it has any extra baffles or impedances. That bare area behind the headlight is a perfect spot for a true cold air intake.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
10redrocket

Drives: 2SS Camaro LS3
Cold Air

I'm pretty sure the Camaro draws air from within the fender. I noticed this in a pic somewhere. The ristriction IMO is the filter in the box.
A tube running directly into the fender well with an open element filter I believe would be the least restristive.
You may even be able to run the tube down to the lower grill for a ram air effect. Obviously this is yet to be determined.

Past Rides: 69 Camaro RS Small Block
67 Chevelle SS Big Block
05 Cobalt SS Supercharged
07 Cobalt SS Supercharged
10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Soon: 18 Camaro 2SS 1LE
10redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
mmbarberoilman

Drives: 2SS, 48 Plymouth, 77 Coup Deville
Once this is on the market Injen will surely have an intake available with an Amsoil filter
mmbarberoilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Yeah; I noticed that my '02 had a sort of cold air setup from the factory. It was too bad, as you guys had pointed out, that the actual airbox and intake provided the restricitions. These were exactly what I had concerns about with the GMPP part (from what I can tell) only addressing what I observed. If there aren't restrictions in the airbox, I don't think I'll mind much, if at all, since as you've pointed out, there are already what looks like cold air induction (so-to-speak) from behind the headlight. I just think GMPP's air tube is so pretty though, LOL! I guess I have time to see what the aftermarket does to unleash the rest of the LS3/L99/LLT's power

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
good comparison pics and good thread. The factory intake certainly doesn't look very restrictive... I may hold off on the GMPP CAI until some results are available
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
Personally I perfer the 3 walled intake systems, similar to the ones K&N produces. I refer its sound and the fact that its allow more air from more places
K&N FIPK here for me once they are available ..

Crowley
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
That's a great idea! Have you seen the 'Vette intake system from Vararam: http://www.vararam.com/competition.html These are great and I've read good reviews on their results and haven't seen much in the way of negative experiences. Even IF, for some reason, your idea couldn't work exactly, maybe someone will work on something like these guys make. Thanks for the input
I had a vararam intake on my C5 vette (http://www.vararam.com/b2.html). It worked great. It has a cool design that mounts right into the vent areas between the headlights and the license bracket. (where the wire screens are on a Z06).You could literally hear it breathing from the front of the car, lol. I never had a problem with it and drove in heavy rain many times without any issues like some intakes can have. Of course I never drove it through standing water that would be high enough for the intake to suck up. That's the main thing that people end up doing and paying the price by getting water in their engines.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote