Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
KizzMySS

Drives: 2SS/RS
Lightbulb DIY Shifter Idea, Thoughts?

A year ago (its sad to say) the wife and I bought new Chevys. I THE Camaro and her an Equinox. I use my Camaro as an everyday vehicle and for all purposes in the city, went with the L99. Yesterday, we switched cars, and I realized an idea I have...

I like, but don't love, the wheel buttons to shift in 'manual' mode. The Equinox has an up/down button on the side of the shifter. I would like to get this part and install this in the Camaro. It seems rather straight forward, just use the wires in the steering wheel, t off them, connect to switch in shifter and KABOOM.

I searched the forum before the post and didn't see any ideas like this. Think this is possible? Think the shifter assembly is universal in that it would fit. They seem very similar.

Share your thoughts and ideas, thanks.

Here is a picture:

Last edited by KizzMySS; 06-08-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Adding a picture
KizzMySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by KizzMySS View Post
A year ago (its sad to say) the wife and I bought new Chevys. I THE Camaro and her an Equinox. I use my Camaro as an everyday vehicle and for all purposes in the city, went with the L99. Yesterday, we switched cars, and I realized an idea I have...

I like, but don't love, the wheel buttons to shift in 'manual' mode. The Equinox has an up/down button on the side of the shifter. I would like to get this part and install this in the Camaro. It seems rather straight forward, just use the wires in the steering wheel, t off them, connect to switch in shifter and KABOOM.

I searched the forum before the post and didn't see any ideas like this. Think this is possible? Think the shifter assembly is universal in that it would fit. They seem very similar.

Share your thoughts and ideas, thanks.

Here is a picture:
That was discussed in the thread on my shifters. The shifter and button is not compatable with the Camaro. I also feel that after playing with it having two seperate switches positioned as on mine is much more positive and the single switch may be proned to mishifts.

Also you cannot T off of the wire to the wheel buttons, it must be disconnected or a switch must be installed to isolate the two.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
AzTeK

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
one of my buddies bought a shifter for his L99 that has the tap-shifter on the stick, this is a video i found of the one he has
AzTeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
KizzMySS

I like the video and the idea. I wouldn't say that is my IDEAL shifter but it does what I am looking for. Do you have a location for purchase or even more important an install video. I was assuming in the steering wheel per button there was two wires which I could tap off of before the button and being each side to each side of a momentary button. I like the equinox button a lot but want something reliable and able to be done. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KizzMySS View Post
I like the video and the idea. I wouldn't say that is my IDEAL shifter but it does what I am looking for. Do you have a location for purchase or even more important an install video. I was assuming in the steering wheel per button there was two wires which I could tap off of before the button and being each side to each side of a momentary button. I like the equinox button a lot but want something reliable and able to be done. Thanks for your feedback.
Actually there are 5 wires and two resistors for the switches but there is one signal wire, it's a little more complicated than a couple of momentary switches. Here is a link to the installation instructions
http://www.cartersfabanddesign.com/carters_011.htm

Also here is a link to the thread on them, it is a bit long but there is everything needed to know about them.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116908
Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
KizzMySS

Man that's awesome. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #7
FLRS

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
The CFD tap shifter is GREAT
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
pistolgripcopo1
pistolgripcopo1

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Carbon fiber gray
How about a shifter for manual transmission. Would cost less not haveing to put holes in shifter for tappers. Just a thought
pistolgripcopo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolgripcopo1 View Post
How about a shifter for manual transmission. Would cost less not haveing to put holes in shifter for tappers. Just a thought
I'm working on it !!

Tags
equinox, l99, manual mode, shifter