Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #43
cactuseater

Drives: .
Tired of it myself, after 120 days out of service since January 2012 and dozens of repairs including the recent failure...I've retained an attorney. Chevrolet has offered nothing but BS to me since day one. I noted the problem with the top day one of the purchase. I actually had several attorney's send me retainers. Never thought I'd have to pick and choose. Too bad I have to go that route. Customer Service offered me nothing all along, and as this traveled up the totem pole the more arrogance I was subjected to. Done.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #44
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I am just glad to see all the noise I made last year and this winter along with several others on here paying off. We stuck our asses on the line for those just coming into the Camaro brotherhood. Hopefully it has and will continue to pay off.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #45
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
There is no doubt that the information and experiences shared here has helped not only the car owners but the dealerships and GM, I think it also shows that the dealership really can play a big part in providing satisfactory service. So far I have colored inside the lines, and every issue I have had has been addressed all be it slowly and sometimes I have had to help by providing TSBs, ect.

The exchange of information on C5 and FB has allowed me to take the lead in the servicing direction of this great car and the cooperation of the dealership has allowed me to keep my cool.

They have had my car now for another three days while they dry carpet and troubleshoot the water management system. If I were so inclined I could force a buy back or have the car lemoned. I am glad that it has not needed to be escalated to that.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #46
cactuseater

TramTwo -- they need to REPLACE that carpet if your top leaked. The mold and mildew smell will come back, and the stain will as well. Force the issue. My dealer finally got the message through to Chevrolet and had the carpet "approved" for replacement.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #47
cactuseater

Quote:
I am just glad to see all the noise I made last year and this winter along with several others on here paying off. We stuck our asses on the line for those just coming into the Camaro brotherhood. Hopefully it has and will continue to pay off.
Always in debt to you guys for putting it all out there for us to see. We may have been another flock of sheep with the "it's normal" routine if not for the networking among owners.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #48
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
TramTwo -- they need to REPLACE that carpet if your top leaked. The mold and mildew smell will come back, and the stain will as well. Force the issue. My dealer finally got the message through to Chevrolet and had the carpet "approved" for replacement.
No smell and it only got wet once. I will settle for new padding and a shampoo for now. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #49
tramtwo

The car is STILL being worked on. Tomorrow makes a week. So it takes longer to fix a top than to replace it.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #50
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
The car is STILL being worked on. Tomorrow makes a week. So it takes longer to fix a top than to replace it.
Still working on getting mine completely fixed. In shop with transport time of 2 weeks. Now has to go back sometime when they get an answer from GM tech services of how to make this right. My installer who is working hard at getting this corrected wasn't happy that GM thought this was a 4.5 hr job. He stated he'd like to see GM techs do it in that amount of time.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #51
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
How they are saving money by trying to fix the tops is beyond me. Days of labor, leaks, shoddy work when all they would have to do is send out the complete assembly. Then unbolt the old one and install the new. Should take about 4 hours total. On my old car it took the guy 36 hours to do it. 3 12 hour days. That cannot be cheap. I think the labor billed was like $1200
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #52
RagTopBee

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS 'vert
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Always in debt to you guys for putting it all out there for us to see. We may have been another flock of sheep with the "it's normal" routine if not for the networking among owners.
I'm very thankful for all you guys have done!!! I don't post much, but I've been soaking it all in since I bought my left over 11 'vert back in March this year. Was planning on buying a coupe, but they made me an offer on the 'vert I couldn't refuse and have loved her ever since!!! Then I found camaro5 and learned I may have bought a huge can of worms.

So far I've been very, very lucky. I have a couple of minor wrinkles that are hardly noticeable (except by me) and 5-6 very small spots I'm keeping an eye on, none of them the typical V marks others have had, at least not so far, and none of which appear to be fraying.

I do have an intermittent rattle somewhere in the top mechanism over the driver's side that my dealer can't find, and they've gone fishing for 2 times so far. I noticed it after they did the top TSB back in April. Taking it back this Friday to have the regulator replaced in rear passenger window and they're going to go fishing again for the rattle. My dealer's been great in working with me on this! Third time's the charm, I hope!

Again, thank you for all the information you've made available, because had I encountered these problems myself, being a 1st time 'vert owner, I would have had no clue how to handle this!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #53
tramtwo

Thumbs down Update

Just off the phone with service manager.

"I'd like to know the status of the repair to car?" He says, "I was just off the phone with the trim shop and they are having trouble figuring it out."

I do appreciate his honesty but needless to say I am not very happy. This is now day 8 for a repair of a new top replacement that took 3 days.

The upside is that this Malibu only cost me 20 bucks in gas last week the Camaro would have been about 50.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #54
tramtwo

Now I am being told that the car is being returned to the dealership. This is day 10. The issue is that although the drain tubes are positioned properly the water continues to make its way into the car. I suggested a new bag which I understands comes with longer tubes.

This new top sits lower in the well. And seems to fold up far more compact. So we'll see what the dealership's techs can do. Needless to say i am not too happy. If a design has a trim shop, that has been in business for over 50 years, stumped how good can that design really be?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #55
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Keep us informed. So far (where's that frick'n smiley with fingers crossed) I haven't had the water issues, but still can't get the top moulding to stay in. IF you get a chance, ask them how this was done on yours. Good luck.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #56
tramtwo

Discouraged... no fix and no communicated plan of action. I am regrettably escalating on Monday morning (day 15). The sticker on my car was 49500, surely after five failed attempts some sort of comprehensive approach should be taken. Funny thing I just received a GM survey... titled. "Standards for Excellence "

Tags
fraying, marks, replacement, top, wrinkles