Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
2011 SS Automatic - Manually Downshifts on its own when stopping.

Hey guys, got a problem I can't seem to find much about.....

The dealer talked to me like I was an idiot and inferred that I was accidently hitting the paddle shifter, which is not the case.

What’s happening is that from time to time, during deceleration generally, the car drops gears as if manually down-shifting, resulting in a surge forward. As this is while I’m trying to stop the car, this is a real problem and has nearly caused me to hit the car ahead of me at the stop. I have noticed twice that the display shows M2, which supports the manual down-shifting theory, but I am most definitely not doing it. One of these days an accident will occur, so I’m doing what I can to find the problem and get it resolved. The dealership wants to drive it, but as it’s about a one in 500 occurrence (thereabouts) it’d be pointless to do this. I asked them to check the computer, they report no issues logged.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tib
Old 08-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
ucHuskies

Drives: 2014 SS/RS Blue Ray
I've never had something like this happen but I read a post a while back from a vendor here, CFD, that spoke about the wiring behind the tap shifters. Basically they are a circuit that have resistors of a certain value and when the button is pushed the computer knows to switch gears based on the value of the resistor. If this circuitry failed, I could see your car shifting erratically -- and I doubt it would show up as an error log. I'd have the dealer check to make sure the wiring was all good.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=88
Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Maybe pop the manual buttons off for a while... any chance there's debris behind a button?
I'm just thinking if the buttons were off and it still did it, then there's obviously a problem in the electrical portion of the switch. I would imagine your car is out of warranty and the replacement part is probably cheap to swap out on the downshift side of the wheel.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucHuskies View Post
I've never had something like this happen but I read a post a while back from a vendor here, CFD, that spoke about the wiring behind the tap shifters. Basically they are a circuit that have resistors of a certain value and when the button is pushed the computer knows to switch gears based on the value of the resistor. If this circuitry failed, I could see your car shifting erratically -- and I doubt it would show up as an error log. I'd have the dealer check to make sure the wiring was all good.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=88
This is correct, also if a resistor or connection to the resistor is faulty it will result in a downshift. I'm sure there may be other things such as in the TCM that could cause it but if it was me, I'd be paying attention to the switches. They can be affected by heat, humidity, vibration etc. so it may not be something you can see or test for where it is intermittent, disconnecting the switches would be the easiest to do and if it is a switch, you eliminated the problem until you can get them replaced.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Are you in S mode when the car decides on its own to go to M?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:15 AM   #6
JSure83

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS1
This happens on my 04 Malibu Classic when I'm slowing down to a stop. It's almost like driving a stick and just moving back to 3rd/2nd to help slow down a reduce wear on the brakes. Now granted, I'm selling that car and driving my LS1, but all this to say that my other Chevy car which was an automatic did behave this way. However, it wasn't bumping forward but actually helping slow the car down. Hope that helps.
JSure83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
only time I notice this is when I accidently have it in S mode, and of course not using paddles.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
I haven't seen that exact issue but I do experience something very much like that. When I'm slowing to a stop, usually as the car is dropping below 10 mph, I feel a definite "bump", like it's making a hard shift from 3rd to 2nd. I don't recall seeing the M2 in the DIC but I do feel the surge. For me though it's every single time.

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:42 AM   #9
bork_bork

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 Convert Triple Black
This has happened to me when I have it in sport mode and not manually shifting. Its only happened a couple times though
bork_bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
From the description, it sounds like the trans is getting hung up between gears. Automatic transmissions do downshift during deceleration to keep the engine rpms consistent with speed. However, it sounds here like it's taking too long between gears, in other words, like it is riding in neutral too long than slipping into gear, causing the "surging" when coming to a stop.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
My drop into first at ~6mph is usually pretty obvious.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Are you in "D" when this is happening? Do you have an aftermarket tune installed?

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
I believe its suppose to do this. Mine 'downshifts' on its own when i am de-celerating, or starting to slow down like coming down out of a grade.
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
Thanks all. No, I'm in D and I've lightly tapped the shifter to see if there's some way it could just be oversensitive or some physical glitch, no dice. The problem isn't so much that it downshifts, that's to be expected, it's definitely not normal though as it shifts in such a way as the car surges forward just as I'm stopping. Nothing normal about that. Also the fact that it says M1 when I am not manually shifting should make it clear that it's not a normal downshift. No aftermarket tuning, still under extended warranty. I think MrChris has it about right, but without getting the dealer to be able to repeat the problem, I'm not getting any support. My brother in law and nephew both work at GM and are looking into the issue from that end. I can't imagine that I'm the only person with this problem though. Thanks all for the feedback, while I'm disappointed that nobody knows for sure what's going on, I'm glad none of you have the same problem!

Tib