Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #43
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yep. You got that right.

It's here somewhere, but it was just posted that anything done to the computer can be detected....number of computer flashes done and when, any different codes, added or removed items...anything.

I just keep saying that if you want to keep your warranty, don't mess with the computer. It really is as simple as that. If you want to try to trick GM or the dealers, get ready to be disappointed. And when you (the tuner in general) gets found out, don't go crying back to mommy. It was a decision you made that you get to live with.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #44
VRMMMM

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Attn GM, my car is bone stock . . please cover my axles when i blow them up
Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #45
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Old 06-17-2010, 02:17 AM   #46
hunter19707
Fourbanger

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Yep. You got that right.

It's here somewhere, but it was just posted that anything done to the computer can be detected....number of computer flashes done and when, any different codes, added or removed items...anything.

I just keep saying that if you want to keep your warranty, don't mess with the computer. It really is as simple as that. If you want to try to trick GM or the dealers, get ready to be disappointed. And when you (the tuner in general) gets found out, don't go crying back to mommy. It was a decision you made that you get to live with.
This is true, the Tech II at the dealer might not detect it, but if GM digs deeper in the ecu they can see that it's been modified.

Last edited by hunter19707; 06-17-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #47
hunter19707
Fourbanger

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS
On a side note, if you mod your car and you throw your air fuel ratio off too lean or rich, a tune wouldn't be a bad idea to correct it.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #48
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
Note to GM, my car has not been modified

Robin

I'm late, but that is just funny.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #49
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

I'm late, but that is just funny.
Also AFM STINKS! Feels like the car is laboring!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #50
HRC

Drives: 2010 2SS
Magnuson Moss act. A manufacturer cannot categorically deny a warranty because of a "bolt-on" modification unless they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the modification that was performed caused the malfunction. If you take your car in for a bad alternator, A/C system, power windows, or even a bad injector, they cannot void your warranty because you added a tuner. They have to prove that the tuner caused the malfunction.
Our local dealer has sent customers to us before for all sorts of stuff for Camaro's, and I've brought my car to my dealer, they even invited me to drive it in the Iowa Hawkeye Homecoming parade.
Bottom line, and as a moderator on another site I've dealt with posts concerning dealer issues many many times, alot of it comes down to your dealer and their willingness to cooperate. Develop a good relationship with them, buy parts from them, support them and your local economy, and they will get to know you, and most likely, you'll have no issues. Dont expect them, however, to cover things if they are caused by your tune. Just be smart, use quality parts!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #51
SuperH
Synergized

Drives: 2011 SGM M6 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
To take the engineering approach, for the conservative modders, you'd intercept the appropriate signals from MAP/MAF, O2, etc, coordinate them, and emulate the values based on how you want the engine to respond. This could be used to handle LT/Shortie headers, CAI, and exhaust. All you'd need to do is learn the characteristic curve, and know what to adjust to compensate. Dyno-test, and repeat.

Of course, for everyone wanting to go beyond normal engine injection thresholds, by FI, injection, or fuel rail augmentation... you're SOL with that method.

Now, I understand that the 5th Gen cars can allow the dealer to know that the car has had the PCM swapped. Which mechanism handles this coordination? The BCM? To me, it seems as if all memory components could be replaced concurrently (unpowered, of course), and the PCM swap (and re-swap) could then not be detected. Unfortunately, that may be a lot of stuff.

Now, I have no plan to change the tune until after the warranty period, as $42,xxx after taxes is a lot of money for me to not have covered. But, merely, this is some food for thought.

I'm with TAG UR IT, though. If you tune, you shouldn't expect much OEM support! (Granted, your car will be a lot peppier than mine, but then again, clearly you all have bigger cojones or more money than myself!)
Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #52
FireonIce

Drives: 2010 2SS\RS CGM
With all this being said.... Why don't they allow you to purchase you new vehicles without a warranty when planning to void the warranty provided??? I would think that this would be a substantial saving when purchasing the vehicle because that is an added price..... I know that the after market warranties tend to be pretty pricey. I'm sure you could knock 3-5K off the sticker price with this as an option. Just a thought.......
AFE Stage II CAI
Giovanna Killis Wheels
Stainless Works Chambered Exhaust System

Bojo
Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #53
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireonIce View Post
With all this being said.... Why don't they allow you to purchase you new vehicles without a warranty when planning to void the warranty provided???
But then GM loses. It's all about the bottom line. If they can sell you something YOU won't keep, they still make money off of it. It's a risk game. A mandated "option" if you will. They really aren't concerned if you void your warranty. All the better for them. Good business model, actually. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's true.

GM tuned mine. So if it breaks, it's THEIR fault!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #54
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
isnt there a guy from GM that roam the boards and ask almost everyone that have a problem or issues to pm him with your vin number and info so he can check it out for you? He might be legit but more suspicious. Who the hell is this guy?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #55
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Wow- after reading all this its a good thing I decided NOT to do a tune!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #56
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
isnt there a guy from GM that roam the boards and ask almost everyone that have a problem or issues to pm him with your vin number and info so he can check it out for you? He might be legit but more suspicious. Who the hell is this guy?
Yes!!!! Jeff Morris, I think.... he contacted me about my vert top issues, and did ask for my info. He set up a GM customer work order for me, hmmmmm

Closed Thread