Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: does the visibility restriction bother you?
no, nothing bothers me/there are no real restrictions 173 71.19%
yes, the visibility restriction bothers me 28 11.52%
only the blindspots bother me 42 17.28%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #57
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
The only problem I have with blind spots in any vehicle. Is the occasional A-hole who likes to sit in them and irritate me.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #58
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
When I saw the car before driving it I thought it would be a bit like driving a tank. By that I mean, peeping thru those slit windows. But when I drove one for the first time, I had no problem. The rear and blind spot visibility is about what it was in my Altima Coupe. I will be adding a rear view can soon.

The only thing that is even slightly annoying is the occasion where a street light is almost directly overhead... I've had to unroll the window and look up at it...lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #59
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
I could never figure out why wimps complain of bad visibility. Charles Lindberg flew his airplane from NY to France in a plane with no front windshield. He only looked out from the sides. WW2 tanks navigated roads from France to Germany while only looking through a 4" slot! Many cars in the 60s only came with a driver side mirror and up until then a passenger mirror wasnt even an option. Lets face it many drivers today are pure wimps.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 AM   #60
v1monster

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
I bought mine on 15 February 2010. 2 weeks prior to that I was doing combat patrols in Iraq driving Humvees and MRAPs, visibility in those vehicles were horrendous. Visibility in the Camaro is like a complete 180.

Cosmetic Mods: AAC Oracle Halos, AAC HIDS, AAC Concept side-markers, AAC LED fog lights, AAC Blue LEDs in cab & trunk, Technostalgia LED Taillights, custom painted bowties, Heritage Grill, and off-center red stripe

Future Mods: Sparco seats, RX Ported & Polished Intake Manifold, VMax Ice-olater, RX Ported Cylinder Heads, Mace Cams and RX Supercharger
v1monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #61
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
After riding around in Bradley Fighting Vehicles, HMMWV's ,and MRAP's. this thing has great visablity as far as im concerned.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #62
proj3ktpat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
It's not really an issue for me when driving around, but parking can be a real PITA sometimes. Backing out can be hard because of the blind spots, and you lose the sight of curbs long before you get close to them thanks to how high the doors seem to be. I always point my passenger side mirror down and back in when parking on the street so I don't curb the rims. I wish this car came with that feature like the cadillacs have where the side mirrors point down automatically when reversing, and then return to their original orientation when you're done.
proj3ktpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 AM   #63
Kycamaross
RED JEWEL inthe BLUEGRASS

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 01 S-10 Xtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I have no idea what blind spots you guys are talking about. I have about a 359 degree unobstructed view when I drive my car!

I cannot believe it took 50 posts before someone with a vert chimed in..............Well played sir, well played
Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #64
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
When I test drove my Camaro at the dealership, the visability issue worried me too. I posted the same question on here and got the same replies you did. I bought the car and I can vouch for all the responses. Its really no problem. Getting a new car is already pulling you out of your comfort zone so the visability is just added anxiety, but it will pan out just fine. You get used to it in a week or so. Now when I drive my wifes G6 I feel like I am driving a Truck with 10 feet of glass in front of me.
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #65
Smitty77

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
i live in dallas, and i think i know what you mean. you're saying if you're on the access road, the u-turn to get on the opposite access road before you get to a stop-light that goes underneath a highway or interstate? that makes sense.
You got it - it's not too bad seeing people coming straight through the intersection toward you on the access/frontage road you're trying to get on, but it's the people turning left from the street going under the freeway to get onto the access/frontage road you're trying to get on that you can't see at all.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #66
tjudah87

Drives: 16 Camaro 1LT SIM
Yeah backing out of a tight parking lot involves a lot of guess work. People manage to pull behind me and sit in my blind spot for some reason.

tjudah87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #67
Archontruth

Drives: 2012 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
I have no problem at all on roads. Only parking lots. When going in reverse, the large c pillars are big enough to hide a car traveling perpendicularly to you. However, if you have ever driven a truck or SUV, you typically start backing out blind because your car is so long anyway...

The other issue I have is seeing curbs when parking. It is about impossible to see curbs around your passenger side front wheel. I can adjust my mirror to see my rear wheels so I always back into spots with a curb on one side, so that mostly solves that problem.

Just take your time while parking and you'll be fine.
Even with the car I have now, I just take it slow when backing out of a parking space until I can see everything.

One thing that I found makes a big difference with the "feel" of visibility in the Camaro is getting your seat right. If your seat is too low it feels like you're in a bunker. When I did my test drive the seat was high enough that my hair was brushing the roof, and it felt a lot less closed.

Delivered 10/7/2011
Archontruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #68
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
a lot of you are scared of curbs, so how do you feel about drive-thru's? i don't eat fast food a lot, but occasionally it would be nice
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #69
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
No problem, I play NASCAR Racing on my PC and totally used to it, piece of cake.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #70
Blake_GM

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
When I first test drove my first one I didn't even notice because I couldn't really contain my excitement.

However, when I test drove the one I bought I felt very intimidated at first, in the dealership parking lot and access road. I have always owned a truck or SUV. Never owned a car, then to throw myself into the Camaro, it worried me a little.

The first problem that I had, I had read about on here is to adjust those mirrors perfectly for you and those blind spots. I had to do this once I was rolling to get a sense of how to aim them, usually with cars on one side or another to get them really honed in. I did that and pretty much all intimidation ceased to exist right then and there during the drive.

My second problem was purely personal as I went from sitting up moderately high - high to down in a "hole", so to speak. I adjusted to that within literally two days.

You will adjust so quickly to the Camaro that when you get into other vehicles that were once "normal" they will feel "weird", that's how it is for me, at least.

I love the feel and "sitting" and "visibility" situation in the Camaro. I think it all adds to the driving experience.
Blake_GM is offline   Reply With Quote