Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Best Driving Roads

OK, so talk about your favorite driving roads - where they are and what makes them so great.

Glendora Mountain Road is right in my backyard. Edmunds.com calls it the best driving road in the world (Clarkson would disagree...) and they do a lot of their "real world" testing of performance and sporty cars on it. It has everything: hairpins, high speed sweepers, hard right angle turns, straights, mid corner elevation changes, you name it and it is there. It can get pretty scary as it is pretty narrow and most of the turns are pretty blind. Glendora Mountain Road itself is really a driving workout - frantic, tight, you'll hardly spend a moment without taking some steering, acceleration, braking, or shifting action. You can turn it into a bit of a loop by turning on to E Fork Road and from there on to San Gabriel Canyon road, taking that back into town. Those two roads are much more relaxed than GMR. Still fun and twisty, but less challenging and slower paced.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
OK, so talk about your favorite driving roads - where they are and what makes them so great.

Glendora Mountain Road is right in my backyard. Edmunds.com calls it the best driving road in the world (Clarkson would disagree...) and they do a lot of their "real world" testing of performance and sporty cars on it. It has everything: hairpins, high speed sweepers, hard right angle turns, straights, mid corner elevation changes, you name it and it is there. It can get pretty scary as it is pretty narrow and most of the turns are pretty blind. Glendora Mountain Road itself is really a driving workout - frantic, tight, you'll hardly spend a moment without taking some steering, acceleration, braking, or shifting action. You can turn it into a bit of a loop by turning on to E Fork Road and from there on to San Gabriel Canyon road, taking that back into town. Those two roads are much more relaxed than GMR. Still fun and twisty, but less challenging and slower paced.
Your favorite road is my favorite road. I agree 100% with everything you said. Glendora Mountain Road is fun as hell.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'll have to drive it when I get my camaro. I'm a fan of Skyline Blvd/HWY 35. Taking this up to four corners gives you 4 great places to drive. The only problem is people taking bikes up there that don't know how to ride. I've watched (and called 911) bikes lay it down trying to take a 15mph hairpin at 60. I'd also seen people take the corners too fast and slam into the guard rail and flip over it down the LOOOOOOONG slope to the bottom of the mountain...

That happens rarely (two times in my 10 years driving) so the rest of the time it's great scenery too.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Glendora Mountain Road is right in my backyard. Edmunds.com calls it the best driving road in the world (Clarkson would disagree...)
Jeremy Clarkson is a racist, American-hating d-bag...nothing he has to say has any relevance or significance.
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK07GTSTANG View Post
Jeremy Clarkson is a racist, American-hating d-bag...nothing he has to say has any relevance or significance.
He's actually pretty cool. I don't think he says anything about America that we wouldn't say about England.

Plus he named the ZR1 best car of the year.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
what race is he against? he hates all things not english (yes he bashes germans and italians just as much) on TV because that's what they pay him for. He loves the third gen camaro also, and couldn't let go of the ZR1.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 AM   #7
rocknrollcali87

Drives: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro
There are a couple of great roads here, but the closest to me are the hills of Turnbull Canyon which you'll find bent and dented side rails. The local authorities have cracked down on racing through these hills. It is a nice drive with lots of twisty curves

It's 4 fat guys in a Geo up a hill, we can't go any faster!!
rocknrollcali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #8
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
the most fun Ive had was in Welch West Virginia...god at first I was scared as hell...but once I calmed down It was a hell of a time. Driving throught those mountains are crazy. you'll have like a 15% uphill thats banking hard right...so hard that the road is on like a 30% angle (like the turns on a nascar track) then suddenly you'll be heading down hill and the road banks to the left. The mountain was soooo steep that there was water running off of it. it went down the mountain side across the 2 lane highway, off the cliff. and yeah if you miss judge a turn...off the cliff you go, that was the part that was freaking me out. Im kinda scared of heights. Those mountains were so crazy there was ZERO cell phone reception with all companies, unless you went to the top of the mountain.

heres a terrain map of the area
Attached Images

Last edited by TFord; 01-09-2009 at 03:40 AM.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
Quote:
Woah there. Clarkson isn't racist and although he does hate America, he has good points. Plus the ZR1 was TG COTY, so I like him.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
diddiyo

Drives: .
SR-826/Palmetto Expressway during rush hour!

A road that goes from six to three lanes within a few feet, goes north/south and east/west at the same time and doesn't have exit numbers!

So much fun!
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
09camaroSS

Drives: 2005 Mazda 3
I live in southern california, and there are a lot of great driving roads out here. I love driving muholland hwy and latigo canyon rd. they are in the malibu mountains and both are pretty fast and have a lot of turns. I have taken them in my 05 mazda 3 which is stock and they are a blast to drive. so to all you who live in so cal check them out.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Western Colorado has some interesting roads, if you like "Do or die" corners try the million dollar highway between Durango and Ouray. I hear when you run off the road there, they just go get the bodies and leave the car...Nothing left to salvage by the time it gets to the bottom.

74A in Nc. around batcave is slow and windy, lotsa blind corners.

129 south of Knoxville...

64 around Franklin Nc...

Those southeastern mountain ranges have lots of good twisty roads.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Your just mad a horse is faster than your car.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #14
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
elderberry hill
about 4 years ago summer my tt 350z vs base ls2 vette 2005 i believe...

long windy road... ended with cop chase

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote