Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
bamaL99
BamaL99

Drives: Black 2014 Camaro SS
Black paint detail

I recently tried to get all the scratches and swirls out of my paint using my dual action polisher. I used chemical guys v34,v36, and v38 to do so. However, there were still minor scratches when I was finished. The only mistake I think I could have made was going too fast or using the wrong pads. For the compound, I used a cutting pad, for the next, I used a polishing pad, and for the last one, I used a finishing pad. However, I was using not so great pads from harbor freight without any pad conditioner. Is this the reason there are still light scratches in my paint? Any suggestions?
bamaL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
its black dude,, car will get scratches if you look at it wrong........
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:21 AM   #3
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
Black is always hard to keep swirl free. When it comes to any DA polisher it's all about the pads. I use Lake Country Hybrid ultra foam pads with my Flex DA 3401 (6.5" or 5" depending on hook & loop backing plate).
http://www.autogeek.net//hybrid-power-finish-pads.html

Use coupon code SPRING2016 for 20% off your order this weekend. Spend $150 before coupon and get free shipping also. Just placed an order today for 6 pads, MF bonnets, Pinnacle swirl / polish combo set and the B1G1 free license plate frame ($130 shipped free).

FYI: For light scratches & swirls I use the blue foam (orange for heavy), white for cleaner / old wax removal, white again for polish and red for sealant and paste wax.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
A picture would help.

Did you use some type of swirl finder light to check your work after each section?

Paints vary in hardness, as manufacturers use different clear coats, and change from time to time.

Softer paint is easier to correct, but will haze more after compounding, being more difficult to finish down.

Harder paint is more difficult to correct, but hazes less after compounding, and is easier to finish down.

Did you clean your pads after each section was complete? Paint residue and spent polish build up on the pads, and will clog the pores. If the pad isn't cleaned, it will be less effective.

Also, how many pads did you use? After a section is complete with the step your doing, when you see diminished results from your pad, and they don't improve after cleaning, the pores are clogged, change to a new one.

On my Camaro, I use two 5.5", and two 4" for each step.

What type of towels did you use for spent polish removal? Low knap Chinese towels can scratch paint.

I also like to use Carpro Eraser after each section, as it lifts spent polish off the paint, so it can be removed easily with no pressure, significantly reducing the chance of causing marring to the surface.

Getting your paint 90-95% perfect is probably not going to happen on your first time, and that's OK.

This is a demonstration of how using a handheld light can help you see your results. I have this light, it's way overpriced. Search amazon for a 3 mode adjustable flashlight around 120-180 lumens, does the same thing and costs about a 3rd of the price.

Cleaning your pads. If your using foam, this is an easy process to clean them on the fly after each section.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 03-27-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Not all black paint is as hard to work with as some say. The paint on my Camaro (2013) is very hard (relatively speaking) and doesn't haze or swirl easily. When I got the car there were swirls all over it, but not as bad as they should have been seeing how the car had been Dealer detailed and the previous owner was good with mechanical maint, but not APPEARANCE maint.

I used a Meguiars thin cutting pad and Ultimate compound and ended up with THIS:

I did this on a cold windy day where I didn't want to be outside, so I only took a few hours to compound the paint. The UC finished out so good on my paint, I didn't need to use a polish afterwards, I just had to wax.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
Not all black paint is as hard to work with as some say. The paint on my Camaro (2013) is very hard (relatively speaking) and doesn't haze or swirl easily. When I got the car there were swirls all over it, but not as bad as they should have been seeing how the car had been Dealer detailed and the previous owner was good with mechanical maint, but not APPEARANCE maint.

I used a Meguiars thin cutting pad and Ultimate compound and ended up with THIS:

I did this on a cold windy day where I didn't want to be outside, so I only took a few hours to compound the paint. The UC finished out so good on my paint, I didn't need to use a polish afterwards, I just had to wax.
paint looks great nice job man..... do you plain on getting new wheels any time soon
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
Sickness91Z28
Reaper Crew

Drives: Blown 2010 Camaro SS
There are a lot of paint correction systems on the market. I tried this....it's expensive.....but it's the best I've used on show car black finishes..http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4...shing-kit.html

2010 Camaro SS
SLP TVS2300 Blower, Blower Cam, Lingenfelter Heads, Meth Injected, 5lbs of Boost@700 BHP
Pedders XA Coilovers
Sickness91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickness91Z28 View Post
There are a lot of paint correction systems on the market. I tried this....it's expensive.....but it's the best I've used on show car black finishes..http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4...shing-kit.html
Only expensive if you buy the whole kit at once.
Adam's makes great products. I've been using them on my black Camaros (first a 2011 2SS vert, and now a 2013 ZL1 vert) for the last 5 years.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #9
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIC1 View Post
its black dude,, car will get scratches if you look at it wrong........
That made me literally lol
Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickness91Z28 View Post
I was looking at the one that is $500 with the random orbital polisher. Might have to use the buffer for now until I have enough for that lol. April is going to be a big detail month, haven't buffed her yet and a little nervous but I believe I will do just fine. Buffed the beater and for my first time with good instructions and no burnt paint and no more swirl marks except for the scratches that are already in the paint. The Camaro needs to be polished or buffed because those swirls are becoming noticeable and the back have some scratches that can be buffed out. By the time I am doing with it, this thing will look like it was never driven.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #11
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
If you want a great finishing polish, try Carpro Reflect.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post

+1 my black paint is pretty hard and while the hazing isn't as noticeable but I try to fine polish it a little more to bring the gloss up.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote