Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Jobrien

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
Help with towing laws

Seeing if any California tow truck drivers can help me out . Well my truck was impounded by chp . And my truck was towing my camaro . I found out when trying to pick up my camaro . That they towed my truck which is 4x4 with the front wheels hooked and the back wheels dragging with the trailer connected to my truck .on top of that the towing company is trying to charge me for the truck and the trailer tow 350 each . Plus storage . Anyone know the laws on this. I tryed looking it up couldnt find anything
Jobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Why was your truck impounded in the first place?

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
The laws regarding tow companies in CA are very sketchy, and much of it is fuzzy and gray. You may not be able to determine anything.

A few years ago, a tow company took my wife's car (long story, won't bore you with every detail). I went to retrieve it, but they had a policy at that tow yard: They wouldn't release any car that did not have current registration stickers. Well... I had only purchased the car ONE week before, had ALL of the temporary registration, bill- of- sale, pink slip, every scrap of paperwork you can imagine... but no PERMANENT registration sticker (DMV said it would take a couple of months). The tow company told me that two months of storage charges would be worth more than the car's value, so I might as well just sign over the title to them.

I called the cops.... the cops told me that tow companies can make their own rules. If they make a rule that they can't release red cars, then that's the rule. If they say that they can't release cars on days that end in "Y," well, that's the rule. If they can't release cars unless the owner speaks Swahili and owns a goat farm with exactly 404 goats and a baby hippopotamus, well, then that's the rule.

(Luckily for me, I knew a cop who was able to personally call and threaten them with the hellfire of all the CHP if they did not release my car immediately... yes, it was a personal favor done for me, and not everybody has that special opportunity. Without that, I would have lost the car.)

Point being, the "rules" are made up by each tow company. There MIGHT be laws regulating what they can and can't do, but realistically, there is no law enforcement agency that will enforce them, and no way to get your vehicle--- or vehicles--- back, unless you pay whatever extortion charge the tow company says you have to pay. Damage to the vehicle MIGHT be recoverable in small claims court... but that's the only way.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Plus they damaged your transfer case by doing this.

Bummer.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
Yea, i want to know why did they impounded it in the first place
Old 08-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Jobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Yea, i want to know why did they impounded it in the first place

Suspended license . And Thats not a reason to tow my cars incorrectly
Old 08-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
13FastBlkSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobrien View Post
Suspended license . And Thats not a reason to tow my cars incorrectly
Well then your SOL, suspended license is automatic 30 day hold.. and no its not, but you could have avoided this whole situation by not driving.

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
Old 08-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
are you going to be able to at least get the Uhaul trailer out before the rental charges start adding up also?
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Jobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
are you going to be able to at least get the Uhaul trailer out before the rental charges start adding up also?

The trailer and the camaro are out . The truck is in there for 30 days . The problem is not the 30 day hold its the fact that they towed the truck incorrectly probley causing some damage . But ive been doing some research and cant find anything on laws where the tow company is responsible for the damages . I will be taking them to small claims just wanted some back up information
Old 08-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
The trailer and the camaro are out . The truck is in there for 30 days . The problem is not the 30 day hold its the fact that they towed the truck incorrectly probley causing some damage . But ive been doing some research and cant find anything on laws where the tow company is responsible for the damages . I will be taking them to small claims just wanted some back up information
I see. Keep notes, and try to prove them negligent in court - see this.....

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...companies.html
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
13FastBlkSS

Quote:
I will be taking them to small claims just wanted some back up information
Probably your best bet, maybe you could get the tow truck operator for negligence (I am not a lawyer) for not towing your truck correctly plus damages?

Build#24869
Old 08-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
After retiring from the military I was the Operations Manager at Rancho Del Oro/United Road Towing, San Diego, CA, for a little over a year before moving on. Some companies (not all) will charge per 'rolling vehicle' (i.e. the truck and the trailer in your case).

In regards to the registration, glad you had someone call and talk to them (threaten) them. The law requires that you provide proof of current registration. In your case, all you needed to do was provide the temp registration and temp paper 'tag' you are supposed to display.

As far as the damage, they (the tow company) should have a claims form you can file with them. When they 'deliver' your vehicle to you, fully inspect it and take pictures prior to leaving. If (as you've already indicated) there is damage, ask them for a claims form and fill it out right then & there and ask for a copy of it for your own records. If they settle great, if not, you will have to take them to small claims court.

Don't know what company you were dealing with, but it sounds like they're a little sketchy to say the least. You state it was impounded by CHP, that means the tow company has to have a contract/agreement with them and must meet certain criteria. I would contact your local CHP, ask for the Tow Officer, and file a complaint. Good Luck.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
At least you're not hauling this;
Attached Images

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #14
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
The tow companies I have dealt with will pull the driveshaft if the are going to leave powered wheels on the ground. If they did this there should be no damage to your truck. But I would still go over it with a fine toothed comb just to make sure. And any little scratch that you think even may have not been there before make a note of it and file a claim with the tow company. It's all about the paper trail if you end up in court.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote