Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
M6 output shaft, ticking time bomb?

I know this is an old issue but just wondering if anyone has any definate vin numbers that are affected by the weak M6 tranny output shaft? My vin is just under the 25000 number which seems to be the cutoff for the suspected bad parts. It was built 6/30/09 about 1 month before the assembly line shut down when the problem was discovered. I did a search and it seems that GM has just kinda let it go under the radar and is only replacing them after catastophic failure!

My problem is that not knowing if I have a ticking time bomb it's really holding me back from moving ahead with the next level of mods. I don't want to take the chance of getting a tune and having the trans blow up from this weak shaft and GM telling me I'm SOL! Or it hangs in there for the next 3 years and finally lets go after warranty is up. Is there any way of knowing for sure? I know that GM has denied warranty on some members cars due to mods even though it's a known problem!

I remember seeing a sticky thread here about GM's response to the output shaft failures, what happened to it? Any info or advise will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Well, there is no recall, so you got what you got. I mean let's say you can for sure tell you have one of the bad output shafts. What can you do? You really have two choices.
You can replace it at your expense now or mod your car how you like, if she blows then maybe warranty will cover it, maybe not. And, then again, you may not experience any problems.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Yea, I feel like I'm in a catch 22! Sure would be nice to know for sure!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Yea, I feel like I'm in a catch 22! Sure would be nice to know for sure!
So just for the hell of it. What would you do if you knew you had one of the suspected shafts?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

I'm not sure! Maybe take it in and insist on a warranty replacement. Or I'd sell it and save up for a Z-28! Or I'd beat the crap out of it to get it to fail, get it replaced and then have fun modding knowing it's taken care of! Just knowing would at least take the mistery out and I could then decide what to do about it! I'm hoping I'll find out it isn't affected!

It really pisses me off that GM hasn't acknowledged this and notified people who may be affected so the rest of us don't need to worry! But then it would cost GM a lot of money replacing ones that aren't broke. This way they're gambling that the majority won't break during the warranty period!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I'm not sure! Maybe take it in and insist on a warranty replacement. Or I'd sell it and save up for a Z-28! Or I'd beat the crap out of it to get it to fail, get it replaced and then have fun modding knowing it's taken care of! Just knowing would at least take the mistery out and I could then decide what to do about it! I'm hoping I'll find out it isn't affected!

It really pisses me off that GM hasn't acknowledged this and notified people who may be affected so the rest of us don't need to worry! But then it would cost GM a lot of money replacing ones that aren't broke. This way they're gambling that the majority won't break during the warranty period!
I have a very early 2009 build, although of the ones I've seen break, I don't believe they are the really low first builds, but I'm not sure. For me, I am past the beat the hell out of the car stage. I love to use the power, but I don't think I drive in any way that would be causing me to break the shaft.
At least I hope so.