Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #29
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Cat converters are Sized and designed for a specific Cubic inch displacement, in this case 6.2 Liters.

This is NOT a WHIPPLE Problem, it is a Supercharger Problem.

When you Supercharger an Engine you Effectively increase the Cubic inch displacement, 7 psi boost make the engine 9.3 Liters

This multiplies the Work the Cats have to do and can easily overheat them and make them fail, We take great care to tune to protect the cats as best as possible but they can only handle so much air flow then they fail.

Ted.

Ted,

Would you say then its just a matter of time then on all supercharged builds? Also are you seeing any power pickup w/ removing the cats?
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #30
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Ted,

Would you say then its just a matter of time then on all supercharged builds? Also are you seeing any power pickup w/ removing the cats?
What did you get out of this?

Like a Professor I make you Think LOL
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #31
GMRULZ

Quote:
What did you get out of this?

Like a Professor I make you Think LOL
Haha! I know right? lol..

Ok Proff,
My guess from your post would be yes they will eventually fail, the ones w/ good tunes and lower horsepower/boost levels may last longer, but in the end they are eventually going to be toast. So what range would you expect mileagewise? Maybe max of 30k miles w/ low boost good tune?

On the power pickup side, hmmm thats a good question because cutouts do not seem to gain any power on these cars so if thats so, one would expect little gain from a cat delete, but on the other side of the coin a 9.3 liter engine has gotta exhale...lol..
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #32
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Haha! I know right? lol..

Ok Proff,
My guess from your post would be yes they will eventually fail, the ones w/ good tunes and lower horsepower/boost levels may last longer, but in the end they are eventually going to be toast. So what range would you expect mileagewise? Maybe max of 30k miles w/ low boost good tune?

On the power pickup side, hmmm thats a good question because cutouts do not seem to gain any power on these cars so if thats so, one would expect little gain from a cat delete, but on the other side of the coin a 9.3 liter engine has gotta exhale...lol..

I think we may have seen 6 or 7 rwhp when we took mine off. I can't remember. We prob did some other sh*t to so maybe I'm just full of it. But I do know that one full day at the track at only 625 hp killed both cats. Not 100% but they began to come apart. That was with a Ted tune to boot. So needless to say mine have been gone since last year.

Oh and Mike......The sleeping giant is about to begin its 2011 Drag Season!!!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #33
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I was told by my shop that I could pick up about 25 rwhp by deleting cats and putting in cutouts. I will know for sure in the next day or two. The car was tuned just prior to having the cutouts installed and the cats removed. It will be dynod again in the next day or two. I'll let you know what happens.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #34
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I was told by my shop that I could pick up about 25 rwhp by deleting cats and putting in cutouts. I will know for sure in the next day or two. The car was tuned just prior to having the cutouts installed and the cats removed. It will be dynod again in the next day or two. I'll let you know what happens.

I never gained anything with cutout's on an LS2 vehicle I had. No dyno power and squat that the track. All they did was get me yelled at during a muffled vehicle test and tune!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #35
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I never gained anything with cutout's on an LS2 vehicle I had. No dyno power and squat that the track. All they did was get me yelled at during a muffled vehicle test and tune!
That's interesting. The only change that's been made to mine since the last time it was on the dyno is the cutouts/cat delete. So, this will be a good test to find out.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #36
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
Quote:
I believe the HP pick up is from OEM cats to deleted cats. Near similar pick up from OEM to quality HF cats (I got 20hp).

I believe Ted on one of his header tests indicated no notable HP increase after LT headers when dropping HF cats and comparing.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #37
GMRULZ

Jamie,
Looking forward to seeing the sleeping giant in action! you need to come down for our fall track rental will probably be 2 9 second mopars and a new 9 sec 5.0 at that rental. Why is all the fast competition in my area? Lol..

Emma,

Yes, please let us know how it dyno`s as a comparrison open vs closed.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #38
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Marine View Post
I believe the HP pick up is from OEM cats to deleted cats. Near similar pick up from OEM to quality HF cats (I got 20hp).

I believe Ted on one of his header tests indicated no notable HP increase after LT headers when dropping HF cats and comparing.
Excellent point. A friend of minecsaid he picked up 25 rwhp when he deleted his cats. I bet he was talking about stock cats.

I had hf cats on mine, so I probably won't see much, if any, increase.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #39
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I Would be happy to place a bet on that LOL

ONLY if they are already Melted and restricting flow.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #40
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
Quote:
Cat converters are Sized and designed for a specific Cubic inch displacement, in this case 6.2 Liters.

This is NOT a WHIPPLE Problem, it is a Supercharger Problem.

When you Supercharger an Engine you Effectively increase the Cubic inch displacement, 7 psi boost make the engine 9.3 Liters

This multiplies the Work the Cats have to do and can easily overheat them and make them fail, We take great care to tune to protect the cats as best as possible but they can only handle so much air flow then they fail.

Ted.
So Ted, does this mean on your blower set ups, you drop the CAT (HF or not), since its just a matter of time?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #41
Darth_Emma

Quote:
I Would be happy to place a bet on that LOL

ONLY if they are already Melted and restricting flow.
Yeah. As I said in my subsequent post, I think they were talking about increases in hp from removing stock cats, not hf cats. (Although, mine had hf cats.) In any case, I should know today or tomorrow what the dyno says about it.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #42
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Marine View Post
So Ted, does this mean on your blower set ups, you drop the CAT (HF or not), since its just a matter of time?
It really depends on Usage and Power level and the State the car is registered in.