Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Camaro to Europe.

Here you go Twin Turbo...

Jason Stein - Automotive News Europe - September 4, 2006 - 6:00 am

MUNICH -- Chevrolet Europe executives are studying whether to bring the Camaro sports coupe to Europe.

Last month, GM confirmed the automaker will build an all-new version of the American muscle car based on a concept unveiled at the 2006 Detroit auto show. Although the Camaro concept vehicle has not been shown yet in Europe, Chevrolet Europe is considering importing and selling it here.

“I want the car for our lineup,” Wayne Brannon, executive director of Chevrolet Europe, told Automotive News Europe. “But we want it to be a good business case. We are considering it.”

Brannon said he would like to make a decision by the first quarter of next year. He said a number of factors will be considered in the decision, including: engineering issues for Europe, emission requirements and volume.

“We would not look at it as a huge volume opportunity,” Brannon said. “But the project has to make sense.”

Chevrolet Europe says there already has been a positive reaction to the car from dealers and customers. The sales expectations probably won’t be large because American muscle cars are minor players in the European market.

Ford, for example, has sold 441 units of its Mustang through six months this year, according to UK-based market researcher JATO Dynamics. That’s down from 463 units during the same period last year, but up substantially from 2004, when Ford sold just 70 units.

Coupes are also a niche segment. In the last two years, carmakers have sold an average of 30,000 units as customers increasingly switch to the coupe-cabriolet segment. That market is now nearly 10 times the size of the coupe segment.

GM will begin production of the new Camaro at the end of 2008 in Oshawa, Canada, and the car will go on sale in the US in early 2009.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
MarkLS2
Administrator

Drives: 2009 Camaro
Wow we need this car to goto europe for sure, time to show them our really exceptional products
MarkLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
BlacLac02
Banned

Drives: 2002 Cadillac Escalade & STS
Send a message via AIM to BlacLac02
i dont think europe can handle that kind of muscle. all the rice burners might get upset about all of the noise
BlacLac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Twin Turbo

Drives: '05 Ford Mustang
Oh yes, that's music to my ears!!!!!

It's probably true that the market for US muscle cars is very small over here (petrol is currently about £5/gallon.....so that's about $9.....yep NINE dollars a gallon).

BUT, GM do sell the Corvette here officially and Chrysler sell the 300c (we even get a 300c touring - you get the Dodge Magnum tourer). The SRT/8s are also just getting here.

Ford do not officially sell the Mustang here, but there are several companies that will import them for us.....and many people import their own.

Vauxhall (Britains GM arm) sell the Monaro (Pontiac GTO to you) here, and that's been a great success too. So I'm sure the Camaro will sell too.

So, bring it on GM. If you've got any sense you'll sell it in RHD too.

Twin Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Curious has any generation Camaro ever sold in Europe or will this be first time ever?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
Twin Turbo

Certainly some of the early cars from the 60's were imported, but not officially.

We did get the last generation cars sold over here officially. LHD only, of course, and we paid the same in £ as you guys did in $. Certainly didn't sell in big numbers.

GM have pushed the Monaro much harder over here in the last couple of years.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
Bruno

Read an article in the new CAR magazine today and it seemed to be saying that the Camaro wouldn't be developed to comply with Europe standards. Wonder which source is right.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Twin Turbo

Car claim the Camaro won't meet the new European Pedestrian impact standards due next year or so. Don't know if you guys have anything similar in the States, but there now has to be a set amount (something like 50mm) between the top of the engine and the bonnet (hood). The new Jag XK uses a "pop-up" bonnet, using similar tech to airbags. There may be other rules too....a lot of new small hatchbacks in europe are featuring some rather overlong front overhangs.

Personally, I think pedestrians should stay outta the road!

BUT, the Camaro concept is just that. A concept. Whilst the production car is going to look pretty much the same, I'm sure they could engineer in the pedestrian safety features. The car already has a fairly bluff front end, so it shouldn't be that difficult.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
pverspeek

Drives: 2004 Chevrolet Silverado SS
Send a message via Skype™ to pverspeek
Overhere in Belgium we do have several older model Camaro's driving around. A friend of mine even owned a '69 SS.

Myself; I currenlty own a 2004 Silverado SS, and my girlfriend and I also WILL buy the new Camaro, when it will be available.

We will import the car ourselves; as we don't care about official GM matters at all. That the same way we handled with the SSS.

Chevrolet Belgium knows about our SSS, and isn't even interested.

We do have several cars with a bigger amount of power driving around here, but I do prefer the US V8 engines, although BMW also has some interesting cars available (M3 - M5).

Personaly I'm interested in the SS with 500 Hp version. Ok, nobody knows wheather they'll even make the car; but I'm hoping for that one, including that magnificent Race Thing Look. I do like the hidden front lights.

Just my 2 C.

Pascal
2009 BMW K1300GT

Future Car: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Manual
pverspeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Camaro for Europe?

http://5thgencamaro.blogspot.com/200...or-europe.html

Chevrolet may sell the famed muscle car in Europe

September 11, 2006
Source: Automotive News - Jason Stein

MUNICH, Germany -- Chevrolet Europe executives are studying whether to bring the Camaro sports coupe to Europe.

Last month, General Motors confirmed it will build a new version of the American muscle car based on a concept unveiled at the 2006 Detroit auto show.

Although the Camaro concept vehicle has not been shown in Europe, Chevrolet Europe is considering importing and selling it here.

"I want the car for our lineup," Wayne Brannon, executive director of Chevrolet Europe, told Automotive News Europe. "But we want it to be a good business case. We are considering it."

Brannon said he would like to make a decision by the first quarter of next year. He said a number of factors will be considered in the decision, including engineering issues for Europe, emission requirements and volume.

"We would not look at it as a huge volume opportunity," Brannon said. "But the project has to make sense."

Chevrolet Europe says there already has been a positive reaction to the car from dealers and customers.

The sales expectations probably won't be large because American muscle cars are minor players in the European market.

Ford, for example, sold 441 Mustangs through six months this year, according to British market researcher JATO Dynamics. That's down from 463 during the same period last year but up substantially from 2004, when Ford sold just 70.

Coupes are also a niche segment. In the last two years, carmakers have sold an average of 30,000 units as customers increasingly switch to the coupe-cabriolet segment. That market is now nearly 10 times the size of the coupe segment, JATO reports.

GM will begin production of the Camaro at the end of 2008 in Oshawa, Ontario, and the car will go on sale in the United States in early 2009.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #11
Bruno

Cool, I hope Europe gets it. So those who can afford the gas and a musclecar can enjoy what we get to enjoy here
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #12
Bruno

Here's an older related thread I found here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165
Old 09-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
Twin Turbo

The decision will be made early next year? C'mon guys, say yes NOW. You'll have at least one customer
Old 09-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Here's an older related thread I found here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote