Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
ELEMENTSEND

Drives: 2013 Victory Red Camaro RS Convert
Twin loop mufflers

I did the search and came up with nothing related to twin loop mufflers. Now I know these mufflers are primarily euro and ricer mufflers. But was hoping for some quality input on them if anyone has an opinion. The reason I ask is in the V6 Camaro world we are always looking for a better sounding exhaust. And I have heard these mufflers on a 350Z cat and resonator delete as well as Audi A6 and there is like one video of a Gen5 with these. All sounded great, The 350Z was loud as f**k but sounded awesome. The Audi sound really good cruising along beside it. So any input would be highly appreciated and thank you for your time. JP
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1495045349.016575.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  53.8 KB
ELEMENTSEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Interesting. Looks like a racing-style muffler (round rather than oval) with a built-in ​chamber to act like a j-pipe, for cancelling drone.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #3
ELEMENTSEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Interesting. Looks like a racing-style muffler (round rather than oval) with a built-in ​chamber to act like a j-pipe, for cancelling drone.

Interesting indeed.... I guess the worst thing that happens if I get them is my car sounds like monkey dung !!!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
I'm no expert but I suspect they would sound good. I believe similar style mufflers are used in the MRT exhausts, for example, but there are a lot of complaints about the drone, so with these chambers (if that's what they are) they might sound similar without the drone. Dooo iiit!
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
Marklar

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS V6
It just looks like a standard Axle-back exhaust with a Hemholtz tube (J-pipe) pre-attached after the muffler. Only problem I see with it is that it isn't adjustable. Drone on the 3.6L is usually between 1700-2200 rpm. If these are design for a 2.0L 4 cylinder engines, the pipe might not be the correct length to properly eliminate drone. The required length to eliminate drone changes depending upon the frequency and pitch of the sound.
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Solo exhaust offers a set up with j pipes, I would check them out.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
ELEMENTSEND

Thanks for your input guys. Here's another pic to show its design better.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Marklar

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS V6
Oh wow, that's way different than I thought it would be. It's basically two small mufflers. That can't possibly be good for air flow... especially with the dramatic 180° bends right at the end of the exhaust system. You're just asking for backpressure and power loss.
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
ELEMENTSEND

Here is King Motorsports' description:
"Silencing characteristics and the quest for exhaust efficiency: the two requirements imposed on exhaust systems have a contrary relationship, and in practice it is extremely difficult to achieve both. At Mugen, we have continued to employ the straight configuration, with the design philosophy that low exhaust pressure must be provided, and that reducing exhaust resistance is an important part of the ideal exhaust system. The straight configuration is widely used in racing, and is ideal because, as the name suggests, it provides low exhaust resistance. However, large silencers are generally required, as there may be problems with mid to low frequency band silencing and scattering of sound absorbing material such as glass wool with the straight configuration. Incidentally, the inverted multi-layer expansion-type silencer widely used by automobile manufacturers provides stable silencing performance, as the sound passes trough several divided silencer chambers, but involves the disadvantage of some output loss and is larger and heavier than other silencers. As a result of our quest for the ideal design for racing engines, Mugen developed the "twin loop-type silencer," in which the pipe is twisted into two loops and passes straight through the silencer twice. This could be considered the ultimate arrangement, combining the concepts of "absorption" and "intervention" in an ingenious manner. It surpasses normal systems in power and torque over the full range, and provides the required silencing and the clear Mugen sound."
Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEMENTSEND View Post
Here is King Motorsports' description:
"Silencing characteristics and the quest for exhaust efficiency: the two requirements imposed on exhaust systems have a contrary relationship, and in practice it is extremely difficult to achieve both. At Mugen, we have continued to employ the straight configuration, with the design philosophy that low exhaust pressure must be provided, and that reducing exhaust resistance is an important part of the ideal exhaust system. The straight configuration is widely used in racing, and is ideal because, as the name suggests, it provides low exhaust resistance. However, large silencers are generally required, as there may be problems with mid to low frequency band silencing and scattering of sound absorbing material such as glass wool with the straight configuration. Incidentally, the inverted multi-layer expansion-type silencer widely used by automobile manufacturers provides stable silencing performance, as the sound passes trough several divided silencer chambers, but involves the disadvantage of some output loss and is larger and heavier than other silencers. As a result of our quest for the ideal design for racing engines, Mugen developed the "twin loop-type silencer," in which the pipe is twisted into two loops and passes straight through the silencer twice. This could be considered the ultimate arrangement, combining the concepts of "absorption" and "intervention" in an ingenious manner. It surpasses normal systems in power and torque over the full range, and provides the required silencing and the clear Mugen sound."
Completely different beast there. The Mugen twin loop is one (true dual) muffler, not two resonators joined by two 180 degree bends. The Mugen muffler relies on the pulses entering the muffler at different times to attempt to cancel excess drone (they do have a little, I seen a few in person).

https://www.kingmotorsports.com/blog...xhaust-Systems

The S2000 OEM muffler was just like that, but it actually went through the muffler 3 times. There are a ton of the ones posted above on ebay for like $70 with free shipping... at that price, you can buy 2, mount them and see if you like them. I Think the Mugen (used) can be found for around 250-400 each... freaking expensive to buy to just figure out if you will like it.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #11
ELEMENTSEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post
Completely different beast there. The Mugen twin loop is one (true dual) muffler, not two resonators joined by two 180 degree bends. The Mugen muffler relies on the pulses entering the muffler at different times to attempt to cancel excess drone (they do have a little, I seen a few in person).

https://www.kingmotorsports.com/blog...xhaust-Systems

The S2000 OEM muffler was just like that, but it actually went through the muffler 3 times. There are a ton of the ones posted above on ebay for like $70 with free shipping... at that price, you can buy 2, mount them and see if you like them. I Think the Mugen (used) can be found for around 250-400 each... freaking expensive to buy to just figure out if you will like it.

I was looking at the eBay one. 2 mufflers for $138.00. Not to much to spend to find out. These sounded wicked on a 350z here in Lex, Ky. But he was cat and res delete. It was LAF. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by ELEMENTSEND; 06-16-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #12
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I was looking at the eBay one. 2 mufflers for $138.00. Not to much to spend to find out. These sounded wicked on a 350z here in Lex, Ky. But he was cat and res delete. I was LAF. Thanks for your input.
If you like loud, then those ebay ones will do the trick... I don't think they will kill any drone, but they will be as loud as having just 2 resonators per side. If you have Cats, they will sound deep, and probably with no drone.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #13
ELEMENTSEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post
If you like loud, then those ebay ones will do the trick... I don't think they will kill any drone, but they will be as loud as having just 2 resonators per side. If you have Cats, they will sound deep, and probably with no drone.

Yeah Maiden, factory Cats, H pipe. Just looking for something different from what everyone else is doing. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #14
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Quote:
Yeah Maiden, factory Cats, H pipe. Just looking for something different from what everyone else is doing. Thanks for your input.
sorry to resurrect a old post
but if you do end up doing this id like to know how they sound
and if there is a possibility post a clip of how it sounds

I just grabbed a set of cherry bombs vortex mufflers
I hope they don't make my car a fart bomb lol
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote