Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
cameron_23

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
What should I do first?

Whats up guys! I just recently bought a 2010 Camaro 2SS! However, it is almost stock except for the exhaust. It has some weird exhaust that sounds better than stock but I'm not sure what it is. I also just put BFGoodrich G-force comp-2 a/s tires on the car (I know that's not a mod lol). But I'm wondering what I should do next. Tune, Cam, wheels, appearance, sound...etc. Let me know! Thanks.
cameron_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
flynhawaiianss

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro SS
Congrats!! Idk if you have a manual or auto but I started with buying a tuner (SCT X4 bought from DynoSteve over at RDP) that way for every upgrade I make I can just email Steve and he will shoot me a new tune through the email so I can get the most benefit out of it. With the purchase of the tuner from Steve over at RDP you get tunes from him at no charge which is really hard to beat. He provides great customer service and his tunes are top notch imo. I had the horrible AFM shut off first because exhaust is my next upgrade. Maybe I'm just a little bias lol Makes sense to me to start here that way the car can be tuned after every upgrade Each to their own though!
flynhawaiianss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Do you want to keep cats?

Look at my sig for good mods!

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #4
cameron_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Do you want to keep cats?

Look at my sig for good mods!
I'm not sure I'm debating it. I wanna def do long tube headers and Borla ATAK Catback exhaust. However, if I remove cats will it reduce the power or gas mileage?
Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 AM   #5
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Removing the cats won't reduce power and it should have a negligible effect on gas mileage.

If you don't need cats then Speed Engineering has longtubes for $350.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 AM   #6
Rodney2011

Drives: 2011 1SS RS
What are your priorities?
Appearance, handling, power?

That's the order I went in. Least expensive to most expensive.
Rodney2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:47 AM   #7
2nd SS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM
Cold Air Intake. Let that Big Dog
breath!!.
I have a CAI and am very happy with it.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #8
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Congrats on the new ride! I definitely agree long tube headers are a great way to go for power and sound. Careful though, LT's and Borla Atak are very loud together. Also, if you do decide to go catless LT's and Borla Atak is be very raspy as well.

As for other upgrades definitely a cold air intake (Roto-fab, Cold Air Inductions (CAI), and Vararam are 3 forum favorites), ported throttle body especially if an automatic (Bo White is a wizard in this department, just PM him on the forums), and don't forget a tune after you add headers. Again, if you have an automatic you won't even recognize your baby when they tune the transmission!

Good luck and happy modding!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #9
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron_23 View Post
Whats up guys! I just recently bought a 2010 Camaro 2SS! However, it is almost stock except for the exhaust. It has some weird exhaust that sounds better than stock but I'm not sure what it is. I also just put BFGoodrich G-force comp-2 a/s tires on the car (I know that's not a mod lol). But I'm wondering what I should do next. Tune, Cam, wheels, appearance, sound...etc. Let me know! Thanks.
This is just my opinion but the starting point would be 1. Cold Air intake, 2. SCT X4 Tuner 3. Long Tube Headers (Speed-Engineering) and ditch the cats if you can. You can get the intake & tuner combo from RDP and save a little $$ and have the custom tunes for free DynoSteve provides. I would also make sure your car has a fresh tank of premium gasoline and do the #5 & #20 fuse pull to make sure your ECU is using the high performance map. Also pull your MAF and have a look at it and make sure it's a strong MAF as many of the 2010 cars came with a weaker MAF.

I would leave the rest of the exhaust alone for now and see how you like it with the headers installed, there will be a noticeable difference. Check out my youtube page below to see some "How To" videos. A catch can and spark plug heat insulators are also a good idea if your car does not have one.

Good Luck. WB
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You have to look at what your budget is first and long term goals and purpose of build, and if your a automatic or manual.... BTW long tubes can be nice with a tune, and many as I have high flow cats behind them and I have with dual mode exhaust a strong sounding car with great deceleration popping form the fuel cut off if I want exhaust burble.... What you want can be accomplished with different combos so you may want to search out u-tubes online or search old threads her on the same subject because no one has ever came here asking advice before on initial mods to a Camaro...........For ideas some of us have mods listed below their name what they can fit on here just in our SIG from the user CP controls.... Unknown mileage you have on the car, transmission etc all make a difference down the road say if you have so many miles you most likely should pull heads when if ever doing a cam swap if done, if you have to smog test somewhere, if you can or want to in the future expand on your build or maintain the upper valve train and mods from springs to whatever over time to go high lift and so much more matter............. Good Luck. High flow cats help cut down on stench from gas and make the car legal and change slightly to remove some rasp... I have been using my stainless power for years now and they are solid and champagne color I polished them eve before install....LOL but hey if you want there is cheaper options out there...Most go 1 7/8 for headers but 2" is nice and better yet usually better costs more and not much difference .
Old 08-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
What are going to be doing with your Camaro? Car Shows, Daily Driver, Drag Strip, AutoCross, Road Racing?

Then determine what your Budget is

Without answering those questions, you are just asking people to spend your money!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
cameron_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
What are going to be doing with your Camaro? Car Shows, Daily Driver, Drag Strip, AutoCross, Road Racing?

Then determine what your Budget is

Without answering those questions, you are just asking people to spend your money!
All of that except for auto cross. I'm thinking of doing handling first tho because someone recommended that if I do appearance first then by the time I get it like I want the appearance will be worn.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
You have to look at what your budget is first and long term goals and purpose of build, and if your a automatic or manual.... BTW long tubes can be nice with a tune, and many as I have high flow cats behind them and I have with dual mode exhaust a strong sounding car with great deceleration popping form the fuel cut off if I want exhaust burble.... What you want can be accomplished with different combos so you may want to search out u-tubes online or search old threads her on the same subject because no one has ever came here asking advice before on initial mods to a Camaro...........For ideas some of us have mods listed below their name what they can fit on here just in our SIG from the user CP controls.... Unknown mileage you have on the car, transmission etc all make a difference down the road say if you have so many miles you most likely should pull heads when if ever doing a cam swap if done, if you have to smog test somewhere, if you can or want to in the future expand on your build or maintain the upper valve train and mods from springs to whatever over time to go high lift and so much more matter............. Good Luck. High flow cats help cut down on stench from gas and make the car legal and change slightly to remove some rasp... I have been using my stainless power for years now and they are solid and champagne color I polished them eve before install....LOL but hey if you want there is cheaper options out there...Most go 1 7/8 for headers but 2" is nice and better yet usually better costs more and not much difference .
Would the 2" come in when going for FI, this is something I read and was wondering. Also when changing out from stock exhaust to say headers looking at the 3" collector reducing down to 2.5" to meet the OEM exhaust should also be changed at some point. Sorry if this is off topic.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
2thousand2

Drives: 1997 Camaro SS
I would just focus on track days and finding ways to enjoy the car.
2thousand2 is offline   Reply With Quote