Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Front wheel wobble issue, advice please

I have a wobble in the steering wheel that I'm having trouble pinpointing how to fix. When I raise the front end and push/pull on the font/rear of the front tires there is movement in the tie rods (both sides move together). It's minimal but definitely moves and there is a clank or clunk sound (see video for sound). Everything up front has been replaced suspension-wise.
2011 SS/RS 60000 Miles.

Video:
https://youtu.be/bXUVwKfeBw4

Last edited by OmniCamaro; 07-30-2018 at 09:04 AM.
OmniCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Are you able to rotate your tires? Have you had them rebalanced?

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Wheels are recently balanced yes. I actually had a bent rim for a while and just got a new one. I thought that was the problem but it’s still shaking. I do let it sit in the garage for extended periods also. I have no idea how the tires may be affected by that. But also the steering wheel feels loose while driving. I just don’t think it’s the tires.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Wheels are recently balanced yes. I actually had a bent rim for a while and just got a new one. I thought that was the problem but it’s still shaking. I do let it sit in the garage for extended periods also. I have no idea how the tires may be affected by that. But also the steering wheel feels loose while driving. I just don’t think it’s the tires.
how long is "extended periods", it could just be the tires have a flat spot from sitting. Or does the issue continue once the tires warm up?

Or, do you think there could potentially be additional damage to some of the suspension components when you hit whatever to bend the rim? Like the radial arm bushings. Just spit-balling, but somethings not right if all is balanced.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
If you had an out of round wheel on for a while it likely ate one of the joints or something is very loose from the replacing. Find the clunk, pretty sure there's some slack and it will move a tad but don't remember a clunk.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:02 PM   #6
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
how long is "extended periods", it could just be the tires have a flat spot from sitting. Or does the issue continue once the tires warm up?

Or, do you think there could potentially be additional damage to some of the suspension components when you hit whatever to bend the rim? Like the radial arm bushings. Just spit-balling, but somethings not right if all is balanced.
It doesn’t go away, period. Since the bent rim every suspension piece has been replaced and checked by a dealership during an alignment. Both outer tie rods move in/out a bit with the tire movement shown in the video and that’s where the sound is coming from. Hopefully it’s just those and not the steering box.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

wheel bearings?
Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
wheel bearings?
Brand new wheel hubs.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #9
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Brand new wheel hubs.
well dang it, I can see why we are just starring at it scratching our heads now. So if it's not ONE thing, has to be a combination of two or more things, which would really make it a very odd thing.

If it's a new wheel hub, how are you getting that much play out of it. That still makes no sense, but I am definitely not a Master of Suspension.

Have you shot Justice Pete a private note asking him to chime in on this thread? He now, is a Master of Suspension and would be able to lend a new look at this.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
well dang it, I can see why we are just starring at it scratching our heads now. So if it's not ONE thing, has to be a combination of two or more things, which would really make it a very odd thing.

If it's a new wheel hub, how are you getting that much play out of it. That still makes no sense, but I am definitely not a Master of Suspension.

Have you shot Justice Pete a private note asking him to chime in on this thread? He now, is a Master of Suspension and would be able to lend a new look at this.
I’m thinking it’s the tires? It does sit a while between drives, continental extremecontact sports. I usually try to keep the pressure high if it’s sitting for over a month.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Steering Rack?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote