Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
2011 5.0 vs 2012 45th SS

This is not a race thread, so if that's what you were looking for, might as well quit now. It's just a quick comparison between my car and my friend's car.

So, a little bit of a back story. Before I bought my Mustang, I was set on buying the Camaro, since I already own a 4th gen Z28, I figured it was a natural progression of things. A buddy of mine at work, who at the time had a Tacoma and loves Camaros, convinced me to go test drive the Mustang and the Challenger as well, which I did, along with a Corvette and Charger. Due to requirement I had of a vehicle, the Corvette was eliminated , which really left me with the Mustang and the Camaro as my final two choices after I drove all 5. I ended up getting a Mustang over the Camaro over a few little details that were important to me, but that is besides the point.

So this buddy has been talking about getting a Camaro since I got my Mustang last year, and about 4 months ago he goes to get the oil changed on his Tacoma at a Toyota dealer, and somehow ends up buying a Camry. When I asked him what the hell happened, he started talking about fuel economy, and kids, and all kinds of other BS I really didn't quite understand or care about because his wife has a brand new 4Runner, which can fulfill any family car need quite easily. He doesn't have any kids nor is he planning on any in the next 5 years so I dismissed any and all excuses he threw at me. The first month I gave him quite a lot of shit for buying a car on a whim, but I eventually backed off, figuring it's bad enough he's driving a damn Camry. Well, he sends me a text message last night that we are car pooling to work today and he will come and get me in his new 45th Anniversary SS. I thought he was full of it, but lo and behold, at 5:15AM this morning, he pulls up in a brand new 45th. Car is incredible. I am so glad he finally got the car he really wanted and belonged in. On the way to work, I noticed a lot of things that I had not noticed a year ago when I cross shopped the two cars.

Engine and transmission - While being close in horsepower and torque, the Camaro feels more effortless below 3k RPM. The power just comes on in a bigger swell then on my 5.0. Can't comment on the top end since he doesn't beat on his car. The Hurst shifter is very short and precise. I don't know if he just had some problems adjusting to the car, but the transmission seemed a bit jerky and a hassle to drive smooth. I also remember the same thing from when I test drove a manual 2SS last year. Engines are equal in their end result and provide different driving experiences, and really comes down to personal preference. I like the way the LS3 felt on the bottom end, but I definitely think the MT82 in the GT is a smoother transmission.

Seats and stereo- I don't know if something changed since I test drove a 2011 2SS last year or if my Mustang seats are really firm, but holy crap, they were comfortable and soft. Not soft like Buick soft, I mean soft like quality soft and nice to feel on your ass and back. Held me in place but were not uncomfortable. In my Mustang, I feel like I'm sitting "on" the seats, in the Camaro, I felt more like I was "in" the seat, that's the best way I can describe it. I also like the fact his car had the red, blue, and white stitching on the seats and that the passenger seat was a power seat as a standard feature on the 2SS. Compared to my Shaker 500, whatever the stereo is in the 2SS sounds crisper. It's very comparable to the Bose premium stereo I had in my G37S in the lower volumes. I really don't know how it would sound turned up. It does sound cleaner with more defined mids and highs than the one in my GT. I liked it. Seats and stereo are better in the Camaro.

Interior and gauges - I don't like the top part of the dash on the Camaro as it's not soft touch and looks like very hard plastic, but the front of it looks really classy with what appears like leather. I also like the lighted door panels, they add a nice touch of ambiance to the interior. The shifter also looks really good, but I still find the shift knob and the steering wheel to be the wrong proportions. The gauges are as hard to read as the ones in my Mustang, and even though the gauge pack in poorly placed by the shifter and really not convenient to look at if driving spiritedly, I like the fact they actually have real numbers on them instead of just HIGH and LOW markings like on the GT. Also, the HUD is cool. I probably would never use it, but it's a pretty nice feature to have. The emergency brake is horribly placed in the Camaro and just looks like a cheap piece of rubber sticking out of the center console. In the GT, while the top is covered in leather, the boot is cheap vinyl (one of the first things I replaced on mine), and the stock one looks fine, but feels horrible. I hate the lack of attention to detail in this area on both cars. They are both good looking interiors in their own ways. I think the switchgear in the center console feels better in the Camaro, but I personally prefer the over all look of the Mustang dash better. I do prefer the Camaro center arm rest to the soft touch Mustang arm rest.

Ride and wheels- I can't really compare it to my car since I'm lowered with quite a few suspension upgrades, but looking at the fact the Camaro is heavier and rides on 20" wheels, it rode amazingly well. I would credit this to the IRS. I'm not a big fan of the 45th wheels, but they are definitely one of the better looking factory wheels available on cars today. I really can't decide on this one.

Either way, that is just some of the observations I made after owning a GT for a year and having spend some time in an SS last year and then again now. Both are great cars, and both have their ups and downs. We're going to a local car show this Saturday, so I'll get some pics of both cars then. The pictures do not do the car justice. The pain looks awesome and the 45th red stripe really sets the car apart. It's got quite a presence on the road. I don't regret having my Mustang over the Camaro, but I do wish now more than ever that I had both in the garage.

Useless thread I know, but oh well, wanted to make one.

Pic for clicks...

Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
DisplacementDan
The Stig is Dead

Drives: 2012 Black/Black SS 6spd
That is a nice looking Mustang you have...very tastefully modded...looks clean
DisplacementDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Much respect. I test drove a 5.0 rental at Hertz and I would have to disagree with the seats. I felt that the 5.0 seats felt "better". It feels like it sucks you in more. Also I noticed that you listed some of the other things that you liked such as the fully adjustable passanger seat and the leather on the dash. These were complaints from a lot of people and now GM improved on it. Looks like they were listening!

Also I would have to disagree on low end torque. Yes it does feel like there is more pick up than the 5.0...but IMO, it doesn't really pick up until 3.5k or so. I guess it's because of TM.

The transmission CAN be smoother but takes time to practice. But it is a big and clunky transmission so it is what it is.

Overall, I think both cars are great. As a every day driver, I would probably pick the GT. But for looks, it's Camaro all the way....although your GT is pretty damn good looking.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
They are so evenly matched, it all depends on the individual buyer and his/her feel and preference (which vary from buyer to buyer).
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
wise

Drives: 1SS/1LE
That was an interesting read, Deki. You're the only Mustang guy on this forum whose posts I actually read and don't just skip over, haha.

Like you, I came from a 4th gen Z28 (97 A4). I was on several forums (mostly F-body/GM) where the majority of members favored the 5.0 GT over the new SS Camaro. I looked at both and made more trips to GM and Ford dealerships than I can count. It was no easy decision, but I ended up ordering a 2012 1SS/M6. I have had my car 7 months and 5300 miles as of yesterday and I'm still happy with my decision.

On the drivetrain, I have read that the LS3 provides more power down low, (with the Coyote being the opposite) but how noticeable is the difference? You are correct about the M6 being rough. I believe the low-end power and low idle attribute the most to the odd roughness in the trans that takes awhile to get used to. I had friends ask and comment about it when my car was brand new but now it's smooth as can be when I'm driving. Just takes some getting used to I guess.

While I agree that the Mustangs interior is superior, I believe some great improvements have been made to the Camaro interior with the 2012 model year. I'm actually quite happy with my simple black cloth 1SS interior for the most part. These seats are so much more comfortable than a lot of cars. The speedo and tach are not as easily visible as they should be. I make good use of the digital speedo in the DIC and shift by ear, but I believe the speedo and tach should be flipped for better placement and easier visibility.

The FE4 equipped 5th gen rides and handles amazing. That being said, sometimes I feel more disconnected from the car and as if I'm driving a family car and not a Camaro. This is good and bad at times. This can and will be somewhat changed when I lower my SS and swap wheels and tires to something lighter, but will never be the same feeling. With my '97 Z28, I always felt like part of the car, and preferred the feeling of sitting so close to the ground. That car was strictly business and performance oriented, and I believe the Mustang is now designed more this way.

Quote:
I don't regret having my Camaro over the Mustang, but I do wish now more than ever that I had both in the garage.
This. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sorry my reply turned into a novel, just found this post interesting since this was a tough decision for me. Your GT looks awesome. From what I can see, looks like 19" RTR wheels, Roush side splitters, CS front lip... I'm sure there's much more than that though.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
The transmission in the camaro smooths up after a few hundred miles or so. And as for the mustang seats, I had some really soft leather in my 5.0 and loved them, although my camaro seats do fit better albeit they are fairly cheap looking and feeling.

Excellent comparison btw. Mostly the same thoughts I had for comparison between the 5.0 and camaro.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
J666

Drives: Camaro
Your Mustang is absolutely gorgeous! I wish GM offered something like the Ford MyTouch. That system is incredible.
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise View Post

Sorry my reply turned into a novel, just found this post interesting since this was a tough decision for me. Your GT looks awesome. From what I can see, looks like 19" RTR wheels, Roush side splitters, CS front lip... I'm sure there's much more than that though.
Thanks man I wouldn't say the interior on the Mustang is better, just a different design. And yes, I got the RTR wheels, but no CS front. I got the RTR front splitter, RTR rear defuser, and the RTR aluminum spoiler. Here is some better pics of it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
The transmission in the camaro smooths up after a few hundred miles or so. And as for the mustang seats, I had some really soft leather in my 5.0 and loved them, although my camaro seats do fit better albeit they are fairly cheap looking and feeling.

Excellent comparison btw. Mostly the same thoughts I had for comparison between the 5.0 and camaro.
I'm sure it does, the TR is a great trans. I got the leather in my 5.0, and while soft, the seats in the Camaro just felt better to me in both the feel of the leather and the level of comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J666 View Post
Your Mustang is absolutely gorgeous! I wish GM offered something like the Ford MyTouch. That system is incredible.
Thanks man
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
J666

Drives: Camaro
I think some matte black stripes would look great on your car.
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Deki

^ Been thinking about it, but I like it the way it looks right now. I might try and do some photoshop magic to see what it would look like.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
it's interesting you mention the seats and 'sitting on them'. i read years ago the 90s mustang seats you 'sat on them instead of in them'. my brother bought an 02' about a year and a half ago and that's how they are. like sitting on picnic chairs. so i guess this a long term ford thing with their seats.
and your car looks nice. mustang's in white seem very rare.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
spenta1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2001 Trans Am WS6
Your mustang looks sweet.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
camaro125

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2ss/rs
agree that is one bad ass mustang.. Not sure if you seen the hood spears on the cowl of the hood before, but I saw a white 5.0 with it and it looked killer imo
Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
It is a bit jerky at first just tell him to let the clutch out a bit slower at the top and that smooths right out. Nice Mustang though