Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #57
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
Thanks Ron. I'm no pro by any means, but I definitely like to share emy first hand knowledge of what my experience has been. I have learned the hard way sometimes, and if I can help prevent someone else from following that hard pass, then I'm all for it. I gotta tell you, there's nothing in the world that is gonna prepare you for the feeling of dead hooking with a good tire. Talk about planting you in the seat! One of the reasons I miss my old 3v and I still may get another. One, the sound that 4.6L makes when uncorked and two, being an underdog but putting my money where it counted. I absolutely love the Coyote, and I eventually will get one. But I never got to see what my old 3v was capable of with the converter at the track. I know it wasn't as fast mph wise as my Camaro, but damn that thing could launch like a bat out of hell....... LOL.
So may I ask what happened with your 3v and why you chose to go Camaro?
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #58
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
Two bits of advice you might try. One might help. One will surely help. Try launching the car at 3000-3500 RPMs. But instead of going right to the floor. Try releasing the clutch and applying the throttle in a controlled motion. Count. 1000-1, 100-2 in your head as your working the peddles. Your likely spinning on launch in the video. Second. Trash the Chinese street tires. A set of nittos or MTs will do wonders for your sixty. Good luck next time out.
No doubt an even halfway decent tire will make a substantial difference. Just using up what was on the car when I bought it - and I have a disease of trying to get all I can from whatever I've got, even if I know it's not very good.

That was only the first trip out on the 4.10's - so I am tuning the launch. With the 3.45's I launched with more rpm and clutch slip like you're describing. With the 4.10 it really wants to incinerate the tire with even a decent amount of rpm. I'll keep playing with it, if I had even a little more bite it would make a lot of difference. I've tried heating these a bunch, like most street tires it doesn't do anything but make a mess.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #59
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
No doubt an even halfway decent tire will make a substantial difference. Just using up what was on the car when I bought it - and I have a disease of trying to get all I can from whatever I've got, even if I know it's not very good.

That was only the first trip out on the 4.10's - so I am tuning the launch. With the 3.45's I launched with more rpm and clutch slip like you're describing. With the 4.10 it really wants to incinerate the tire with even a decent amount of rpm. I'll keep playing with it, if I had even a little more bite it would make a lot of difference. I've tried heating these a bunch, like most street tires it doesn't do anything but make a mess.
Last year my car would break loose on the 2nd to 3rd shift on street tires on the track. It was so bad i started leaving the stabilitrac on. With my nitto 555rs and 3200 stall im heading out after Labour day to get some runs in. Ill give you an update on my 60 . Im very curious to find out how much of a difference drag radials make. Try to get a few vids.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #60
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Last year my car would break loose on the 2nd to 3rd shift on street tires on the track. It was so bad i started leaving the stabilitrac on. With my nitto 555rs and 3200 stall im heading out after Labour day to get some runs in. Ill give you an update on my 60 . Im very curious to find out how much of a difference drag radials make. Try to get a few vids.
Nice - good luck. Should really leave on the new stall!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #61
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Nice - good luck. Should really leave on the new stall!
Well ive had the stall in since last nov...the drag radials since the spring. Its like getting a Christmas present but you cant open it till summer lol .On the street the car is awesome....launches way harder after gossip told me to flash the converter instead of foot breaking trying to build rpms before launch. Cant wait to get my ass out there.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #62
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
So may I ask what happened with your 3v and why you chose to go Camaro?
Long story short, the car was rear ended and totalled out. The replacement Mustang I went to look at wound up being a total dog and pos. Bad body work, paint job and engine ran like crap. The dealer had only one car that was in my price range that interested me and that was my 5th Gen. It's really a bit of irony really, because I used to jack with every 5th Gen I could find when I had my 3V. Used to always embarrass them on the street along with several 4th Gens. For only 300hp, damn car would run. I used to always catch shit on getting a 3v and not a Coyote. My 3v was a beautiful car and as I've said before, I beat the piss out of that car and it never not once left me hanging except once, when I popped the input shaft from launching on DR's all the time haha. Best time ever before it was gone was a 12.9 @ 106, that was with the DR's, 4.10s, o/r x-pipe, CAI, bigger TB, custom tune and my own exhaust I fabbed for it. Main reason I got the stall was because I couldn't launch hard out the hole without pushing through the beams. But it was damn quick. 3.8 sec to 60 mph with no stall. So the weekend I was supposed to take it to the track to get a new time with the stall is when it was totalled.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #63
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Yeah I hope to meet GSJ one day. I'd love to run at my old stomping grounds; Atco.
HaHa come on down this October. We'll get you a time slip worth framing with the new mods.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #64
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
HaHa come on down this October. We'll get you a time slip worth framing with the new mods.
Thanks.

The headers won't be going on until late November/early December.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #65
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

ATCO - where negative DA's become a reality! If you want good slips, that's a great place to get 'em, that's for sure.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #66
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
My dad used to race there in the early 60's and I lived not far from the track from 1978-1995 (graduated HS there in 1989).
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote