Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Norris Motorsports V6 LLT VMax CNC TB Test Inside

*** As Of November 14th, I Have Two V6 Units Ready To Ship***

Hey All,

I finally got a chance to get together with a local customer to do my verification testing for Pete at VMax. Thanks to chozn4service for the use of his vehicle to say the least

The car is a 2010 Auto RS and we had it on the dyno about a year ago for a local dyno day. At that time she made a best of 253 RWHP and 236 RWT with an AF ratio of 12.9 to 13.0 in the bginning of the run to about 12.0 at the end.

He cam back this morning and had installed a Vararam since then, I took the car for an initial road test to get a feel for the car and I personally thought it felt pretty good considering I do the LS3 cars everyday and this was a V6. Joe said that the Vararam definitely made a difference to him also.

I put her up on the dyno and did my base runs and she put down 263 RWHP and 239 RWT on the second run and was quite lean as compared to before, in the 14.0-1 area in the beginning and about 13.3 or so at the end. Quite a difference in AF which makes sense considering the gains of 10 RWHP and 3 RWT. The gains were only from about 4600 and really carried the power to a higher RPM. The IAT was 20-22*C and the coolant temp started at 92*C and ended at 96*C on this run.

I swapped out the TB and did three runs which got the IAT to 25*C and the coolant temp to over 100*C. She still went to 265 RWHP and 241 RWT, so gained 2 RWHP and 2 RWT at quite a bit higher test temps for both IAT and coolant on the second run.

So I decided to give her a good cool down and see what I could get. After roughly 35 minutes I started the process again and the temps were very cool, and guessing by the first run too cool and she only made 230 RWHP and 203 RWT!! What the heck, but at that temp she had no timing. Did the rest of the runs and the second run at 21*C IAT and 93*C coolant temp yielded 267 RWHP and 244 RWT for a net gain of about 4 RWHP and 5 RWT for the VMax CNC TB over the stock TB. The gains start at about 3000 RPM

One thing I noticed is that the car pulls a lot of timing, about 6-8*, at the 5000 RPM area. No knock retard at all on any run (all done on 87 octane), so it must be a TM or Burst Knock anticipation timing pull. It was consistant on all of the runs and always gave back timing to have 25-26* at the end of the run.

While we were doing the TB swap, Joe and I checked out the oil collection area behind the TB for any oil and she was nice and clean. Joe sayd he gets about 1-2 ounces of oil from my catch can between oil changes. So I guess my catch can is doing its job

So all in all a good test day, The VMax TB was good for 4 RWHP and 5 RWT. Plus I got a first hand look at how effective my catch can was working. It has been on there for about a year.

So I got her off the dyno and took her for a ride and she does feel smoother and more responsive. But I do not want to just trust my butt as I do not drive the car everyday. I send Joe out for a drive and he was gone for about 15-20 minutes and comes back with his report. He will post up here I am sure, but he agrees the car feels much smoother, much more responsive and accelerates much better then before. I tell him to not just say that to make me happy as I can easily swap it back to the stock TB if he wants. He declined and wanted to keep the VMax unit

So in the end some more info for folks and all of the hard work Pete from VMax put into this unit has been well worth it for sure.

Thanks to everyone that has ordered from myself as they will start shipping. We are short on cores so turn around will take a bit. I do plan on having a few available during the dyno day here Oct 29th.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Mike Norris
Attached Images

Last edited by Mike Norris; 11-14-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Mike Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Thanx for the test Mike !!

The results are great !
Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Mike thanks for that info and your testing! I'm sure you've seen the comments, but so far everyone really seems to like the ported TB very much! I still don't have one, but I can guarantee you I will be buying...hopefully very soon.

A bit of a side note...the Vararam just doesn't seem to always do the best on the dyno but it seems to really shine out on the road (and I think thats a bit the case of the TB as well)..but I had an AirRaid and I have no desire to go back to that so it must be doing something right.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
we need alot more parts like this for our camaro.. I mean for a little over 10 ponies for $150 is what I call bang for the buck. Now if someone can make some gears and price it a little more fair($300). Over $600 just for gears and not even counting install kit and installation is crazy.

Thanks for the interest in our v6. Without you guys this type of parts would not be possible
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
OK, first of all I want to say thanks to Mike and his Motorsports shop for being so close to my house and Mike's continual pursuit of excellence in performance!

After trying to get this TB installed since around the first of August, we finally got it done and I have to say I'm happy with the results. My car is something else and a flat out beast with the Vararam but now, now this thing is so smooth and the response is like right now, not to mention it seems even quicker! After Mike did the install, dyno and a test drive, I took Too Precious out for a spin and I was like 'My God', this thing is even better than before! I mean it just flat out gets it! The shift points seem to be real smooth but when it hits the next gear its putting you back into the seat and head into the headrest. I was afraid someone was going to call Fishers PD on me that a some fool was out running crazy on 96th street!
I'm really happy with the results and the only thing I had left to do was place my Mike Norris Motorsport decal on my radiator shroud when I got home. Really looks good Mike! Opted for that location since I only had one but if I had two, the twin strut towers would have been sporting them.

So with this report, I think anytime you can bolt an add-on and get another 4-5hp and same in torque, its a good thing!

Thanks again Mike and see you Dyno Day 2 at your place on Oct. 29th.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Thanks for the update Joe as well as the kind words. I am sure everyone appreciates it for sure and glad it all worked out as well as it did.

Have a great weekend!!

Mike Norris
Old 10-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
A62010SS

Drives: 2010SS
Good to see you do another comprehensive test for VMax and nice to see it matches up with what other folks are seeing
A62010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Glad to see another confirmation of this product. I know I'm sure happy with it!
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Jonny

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
we need alot more parts like this for our camaro.. I mean for a little over 10 ponies for $150 is what I call bang for the buck.
What's giving you 10 HP for $150?
2011 "Victory Red" Camaro 2LT Convertible RS • Custom Painted "Corvette Black" Racing Stripes • SLP Rear Quarter Gill Graphics • Painted Engine Cover • EmblemPros Underhood Bowtie • River City Creations Custom Painted Bowties • Vararam Intake • JDP V6 VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Hypertech Max Energy Programming • ******** Large Sub Enclosure • 10" DC Sound Labs Level Four Subwoofer • Sundown SAX-1200d Amp • 2SSRS Rear View Backup Camera Kit
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Mike thanks for that info and your testing! I'm sure you've seen the comments, but so far everyone really seems to like the ported TB very much! I still don't have one, but I can guarantee you I will be buying...hopefully very soon.

A bit of a side note...the Vararam just doesn't seem to always do the best on the dyno but it seems to really shine out on the road (and I think thats a bit the case of the TB as well)..but I had an AirRaid and I have no desire to go back to that so it must be doing something right.
Dude I think you registered at the wrong place. Shoulda registered with Tracy's shop. LOL
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Thanks again for the kind words all and just doing my job and letting the product sell itself for sure. I will have some more here soon as they are tough to get right now. Low core counts to start and then slow returns on top of that.

I would invest in more cores, but the 2012 has yet a different TB and the process will most likely need to start all over again

Have a great week all.

Mike Norris
Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
chozn4service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Norris View Post
I would invest in more cores, but the 2012 has yet a different TB and the process will most likely need to start all over again

Have a great week all.

Mike Norris
Mike, I would be interested in the ported manifold as well, if and when you get one in. Seems like this just makes sense to do with the new throttle body.

Anyway, keep me posted on this and we'll go accordingly.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #13
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

I just wanted to let folks know that as of today, November 14th, I have two V6 units on the shelf and ready to ship.

Thanks.

Mike Norris
Old 11-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
chozn4service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Norris View Post
I just wanted to let folks know that as of today, November 14th, I have two V6 units on the shelf and ready to ship.

Thanks.

Mike Norris
Bump for a great add on to the V6 model. Smooth accel and great kick on the pick up side. Highly recommend this mod.