Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Gunk on black chrome wheels not coming off....help please.

Washed and waxed the car yesterday and then went to clean the wheels after I put the tire shine on and noticed that parts of the wheel were not glossy and were sort of hazy. I put my finger on it and you could feel that it wasn't smooth like the rest of the glossy black wheel.

I'm not sure what the gunk is. It's not break dust or anything. Maybe the tire shine (Turtle Wax Black Magic) was the cause of it...but either way I couldn't get it off using a microfiber towel and water. It seemed as I was just spreading it around when doing that. Like it couldn't "break through it" and get to the wheel.

What should I use....maybe Bug and Tar remover? An acidic wheel cleaner? Non-acidic? Does Adam's have a product to break through stuff like this? (again, this wouldn't be just a general wheel cleaner I don't think....I think it'd have to be something special to get though it.)

I'll try to get some pics later if I need to.

I'd appreciate any help you could give!! I like my wheels a lot, hahaha, and I'd like them to keep as nice, shiny and glossy as I can!!

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Pictures would help us to help you but try a clay bar for starters...
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraves View Post
Pictures would help us to help you but try a clay bar for starters...
Okay...I don't have one of those. But for quick measures I know I can get one at AutoZone which is right down the road. That'd be just as good as getting one from Adam's? I'm assuming there's not much difference in the quality of a clay bar and I'd rather not have to wait for it to come in the mail to try and fix it.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Is the finish Powder Coated or Clear Coated (Painted?)....

Powder Coat is strong durable stuff, but even long term exposure to acids can cause it to dull (and Powder Coat is very difficult to polish).

While I would love to sell you a product (we carry 70 of the highest rated brands on the market) I think a home remedy is likely going to work well.

Get some rubbing alcohol(make sure it is Isopropyl and not Denatured) and dilute it so it is approximately 30% alcohol and 70% water. The extact dilution you use is going to depend on the strength you buy. Isproply is usually available from 40% to 91%.

Mist it onto the gunk and agitate with a soft terry cloth or junk terry cloth. Then wipe off. It may smear at first, but stick with it and after a couple of applications it should be gone.

Some of the store bought tire dressings are solvent based silicons. They literally build a layer of junk on the tire and wheel that usually holds all the brake dust (so it browns) and is very difficult to remove.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
Gasoline or WD40 works well....
Old 04-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
nytrorcr

Drives: I.P.C. 2SS vert, 21 wheels
WD40 deals with most problems safe on just about anything
Old 04-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Is the finish Powder Coated or Clear Coated (Painted?)....

Powder Coat is strong durable stuff, but even long term exposure to acids can cause it to dull (and Powder Coat is very difficult to polish).

While I would love to sell you a product (we carry 70 of the highest rated brands on the market) I think a home remedy is likely going to work well.

Get some rubbing alcohol(make sure it is Isopropyl and not Denatured) and dilute it so it is approximately 30% alcohol and 70% water. The extact dilution you use is going to depend on the strength you buy. Isproply is usually available from 40% to 91%.

Mist it onto the gunk and agitate with a soft terry cloth or junk terry cloth. Then wipe off. It may smear at first, but stick with it and after a couple of applications it should be gone.

Some of the store bought tire dressings are solvent based silicons. They literally build a layer of junk on the tire and wheel that usually holds all the brake dust (so it browns) and is very difficult to remove.
I'm not sure if they are powder coated or clear coated. They are the IVS Havoc black chrome wheels. I'm guessing clear coated but I'll have to check up on that to be sure. I do have some isopropyl so i may try that first. If it doesn't take it off I may try to get some WD40 like the guys below me said. Thanks a lot for the info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti2de View Post
Gasoline or WD40 works well....
Thanks for the input, man. I may try the WD40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrorcr View Post
WD40 deals with most problems safe on just about anything
Sounds good....because I may have been worried it would be too strong or something but a couple of you guys agree with the WD40 so I'll definitely feel more comfortable with it now. Thanks, man.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Camaro_RS Try some of this. I used it to remove road tar and it just melted right off. No damage to the paint.
Attached Images

Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's SS View Post
Camaro_RS Try some of this. I used it to remove road tar and it just melted right off. No damage to the paint.
Nice! You just get it at any auto parts store such as Autozone?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Mark's SS

Yes. I know O'reilly has it. That stuff worked great. Spray it on and in five seconds the sticky crap just runs off of the paint. This shows what I used it on. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210109
Before I found this I didn't know how I was going to get all of that crap off.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's SS View Post
Yes. I know O'reilly has it. That stuff worked great. Spray it on and in five seconds the sticky crap just runs off of the paint. This shows what I used it on. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210109
Before I found this I didn't know how I was going to get all of that crap off.
Cool, thanks man!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Mark's SS

No problem.