Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #1569
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
damn things are everywhere
Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #1570
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
In SLS news, Launch Pad 39B is being modified to prepare for the first launch around 2017.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #1571
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Hopefully you guys still find these interesting...

Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #1572
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Awesome pics Fen....keep them coming
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #1573
FenwickHockey65

Jordan will be able to start updating this thread again soon.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #1574
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have so much to update you guys on.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #1575
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I have so much to update you guys on.
looking forward to this!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #1576
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

First off, I want to thank Mr. iNCREDIBLE for PMing me these awesome pictures of Endeavour.

Quote:
my daughter took me to the CA science center for fathers day to see the Endeavor up close, knowing you love space shuttle stuff I thought I would share these with you:

Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #1577
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
I like seeing the faded panels from the heat shield from the EXTREME RE ENTRY temps the shuttle undergoes
Old 07-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #1578
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
someday i'll go see Endeavor and take pictures.
and then shuttlegirl will say "pfft, they are not high res"
Anything will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowCammy View Post
Very cool Fenwick. I heard Mars was once hit bit a huge crater and that wacked out the atmosphere which is why life (that could have existed on Mars) doesn't exist. if my thought process is wrong don't blame me... i saw it on the science channel so blame them lol.

so... how do I know this rover isn't in AZ somewhere checking out the desert? hehe
Mars has an atmosphere. It's just very harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
In SLS news, Launch Pad 39B is being modified to prepare for the first launch around 2017.
39B has been in the process of modification since 2007.

And the first launch is next summer.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #1579
FenwickHockey65

Meh. I was just reading NASASpaceFlight.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #1580
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit opening with support from souvenirs

First, we're going to take a look at the souvenirs available at the Atlantis exhibit, before getting to the good stuff.

Quote:

"Space Shuttle Atlantis" shirts, jackets, caps and mugs, among other souvenirs, are offered in the new "Shuttle Express" shop at NASA's Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. (collectSPACE)

June 28, 2013 — It would not be a proper Florida theme park attraction if you didn't exit through the gift shop.

But the souvenir station that awaits guests inside the new "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit, opening Saturday (June 29) at NASA's Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, is not your typical trinket stand.

The new Shuttle Express shop is helping to underwrite the preservation and presentation of a national treasure.

Though NASA owns the visitor complex and the new $100 million "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit – as well as the $2 billion retired spacecraft that the facility showcases – the space agency paid for none of it.

"An attraction like this is an investment in the future," said Bill Moore, chief operating officer of the visitor complex for Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts, which since 1995 has operated the center for NASA. "It's important to note that all of this attraction was not funded with taxpayer money or appropriated funds, but entirely funded through revenue generated here at the visitor complex."

Everything at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, including the "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit, is funded by the proceeds that are generated by ticket, food and, yes, merchandise sales, which translates to having to sell a lot of t-shirts, patches and models.

A replica of the space shuttle-era Astrovan serves as a dressing room and photo backdrop as part of the "Suit Up" flight suit deal offered by the Shuttle Express shop. (collectSPACE)

To encourage those sales, the Shuttle Express provides 4,000 square feet (372 square meters) for space shuttle and space-related souvenirs, which are displayed inside a playfully-laid-out retail space featuring children's artwork depicting their visions for the future of spaceflight.

Pins, pocket watches and a special patch

Of course, a souvenir shop is only as good as the items it sells and the visitor complex has produced a slew of new collectibles and gifts featuring Atlantis and the logo for the "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit.

A selection of "Space Shuttle Atlantis" lapel pins and keychains are offered in the Shuttle Express shop. (collectSPACE)

Among the Shuttle Express' offerings are "Space Shuttle Atlantis" T-shirts, jackets and hats; cups and keychains; medallions and lapel pins. The pins alone are available in more than two dozen designs, each depicting the orbiter or other elements from the attraction.

The exhibit's logo, which replaces the "A" in "Atlantis" with the silhouette of the shuttle, is also emblazoned on decals and license plate frames, as well as pocket watches and collectible spoons.

One whole wall of the store is dedicated to embroidered patches, including the official mission emblems for all 135 shuttle flights. One of the patches in particular, an 8-inch (20-centimeter) badge, was created for the exhibit to honor all 33 of Atlantis' missions.

The "The Voyages of Atlantis" emblem was designed by local artist Tim Gagnon, who, in addition to designing the patches for other shuttle and International Space Station crews, worked with Atlantis' third-to-last crew to create the official STS-129 mission insignia.

Artist Tim Gagnon's "The Voyages of Atlantis" patch celebrates the orbiter's flight history and its new exhibit. (collectSPACE)

"This fully embroidered patch celebrates every mission of the shuttle Atlantis," Gagnon wrote about his design. "The central focus is the launches of Atlantis as it'll be forever displayed at its home port, the Kennedy Space Center."

The emblem, which features the "Space Shuttle Atlantis" logo at its bottom, includes "iconic scenes and payloads" associated with the retired orbiter's 26-year history, said Gagnon, and includes 33 stars and 10 international flags representing each of Atlantis' missions and the countries represented by its crew members.

Angled and autographed

Another collectible created for the exhibit recreates the unique way in which Atlantis is displayed and involves the orbiter's final mission commander.

Unlike NASA's other orbiters, which, at least for now, are all displayed horizontally on or near the ground, Atlantis is mounted high in the air and steeply angled to one side. The orbiter's payload bay doors have also been opened.

The result is an exhibit that evokes how Atlantis appeared when it was in orbit, a view that was previously limited to astronauts in space.

That scene is captured in miniature by a new 1:100 scale model of Atlantis produced by Toys & Models Corporation for the visitor complex. The orbiter models are mounted on a base at the same 43.21 degree angle as the full-scale Atlantis is now displayed.

Space shuttle Atlantis models, including a limited edition model signed by Atlantis' final commander Chris Ferguson, are offered by the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. (collectSPACE)

The 14.5-inch-long (37-centimeter) mahogany models also feature payload bay doors that open.

Limited to 135 individually-numbered pieces, each has the "Space Shuttle Atlantis" logo and a descriptive plaque on its base. The metal plaques are authentically signed by former NASA astronaut Chris Ferguson, who commanded STS-135, the last flight of Atlantis and the final mission of the space shuttle program.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #1581
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Meh. I was just reading NASASpaceFlight.
STAY OFF MY FORUM YOU DON'T SEE ME MESSING WITH GMI
Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #1582
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Space Shuttle Atlantis launches on public display in Florida

Quote:

Smoke billows from the replica solid rocket boosters outside the new "Space Shuttle Atlantis" exhibit, marking the "launch" of the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex attraction. (collectSPACE)

June 29, 2013 — Space shuttle Atlantis, the final orbiter among NASA's winged fleet to fly into space, launched on its new mission Saturday (June 29) as the centerpiece of a $100 million tourist attraction in Florida.

Astronauts from each of Atlantis' 33 flights joined officials at NASA's Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex for the morning ceremony marking the opening of "Space Shuttle Atlantis," a 90,000-square foot (8360 square meter) exhibit dedicated to the retired spacecraft.

After a countdown from "T-minus 10," smoke billowed out from behind replica solid rocket boosters, symbolizing the "launch" of the new display.

"There are not a lot of places where you are going to be able to get as a close to an orbiter as you are going to be able to get when you get inside the Atlantis exhibit here," said Charles Bolden, NASA Administrator and commander of Atlantis' 11th mission, STS-45, in 1992.

Inside the five-story building, Atlantis has been mounted 30 feet (9 meters) above the ground and angled 43.21 degrees to one side. The shuttle's payload bay doors have been opened and a detailed replica of its robotic arm has been installed and extended such that it just reaches over the heads of visitors.

Space shuttle Atlantis, as displayed inside the new $100 million exhibit that opened Saturday, June 29, at NASA's Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. (Ben Cooper/LaunchPhotography.com)

Theatrical lighting and a 40-foot-long (12-meter) animated digital backdrop helps complete the illusion that Atlantis is back in space, orbiting the Earth.

"There's no where else in the world that you will be able to see an orbiter that looks the way it looks when it's in flight in space," Bolden said. "That is a very, very, very unique opportunity to see it in a unique configuration."

Awesome Atlantis

"It is awesome," said Robert Cabana, the director of the Kennedy Space Center and a four-time shuttle astronaut. "We showcase Atlantis but [the exhibit] tells the 30-year history of the shuttle program and the amazing team that made it all happen."

The attraction includes replica International Space Station (ISS) modules, a full-size high-fidelity model of the Hubble Space Telescope, four multimedia, cinematic productions and more than 60 interactive activities that invite guests to "be the astronaut."

"We have a lot more to offer our guests than just one attraction as they come nose-to-nose with Atlantis," said Bill Moore, chief operating officer of the visitor complex for Delaware North Companies Parks & Resort, which since 1995 has operated the property for NASA. "We have the chance here to give them the experience of what it might be like to be an astronaut — to land a space shuttle, to dock with a space station, to maneuver the shuttle robotic arm and maybe even take a walk in space."

"Space Shuttle Atlantis" is designed to give guests a nearly 360-degree view of Atlantis. (Ben Cooper/LaunchPhotography.com)

The guests' experiences begin even before they enter the building. Outside, a towering replica of the shuttle's solid rocket boosters and massive external fuel tank serve as a gateway for the exhibit. The facility, itself, was designed to evoke a shuttle returning from space, using iridescent hues of orange and gold to represent the glow of re-entry and a shimmering tile pattern similar in appearance to the orbiter's underbelly.

Second mission

After ending the space shuttle program two years ago to pursue sending U.S. astronauts beyond Earth orbit, NASA awarded its retired orbiters Discovery, Endeavour and the prototype Enterprise to museums and science centers in Virginia, California and New York so that they could serve as educational tools for generations to come.

Although the space agency chose to retain ownership of Atlantis, the objective with its display is the same.

"When Atlantis landed for the final time [on] July 21, 2011, it was said that its voyage had come to an end," Moore said. "We're going to challenge that a little bit."

"Atlantis' voyage is not ending; in fact, it has just begun," he said, explaining that the orbiter's new mission was to inspire and educate those who come to see it on display.

More than 40 astronauts, including crew members from each of Atlantis' 33 flights, give a thumbs up to the display of the retired shuttle following the exhibit's opening ceremony. (collectSPACE)

Cabana said that Atlantis would "capture the imagination of another generation."

"It'll continue to inspire as it starts off its second mission," Cabana said. "It was a phenomenal spaceship — it helped us explore and discover — and now it is going to lead a mission of inspiration for future scientists, engineers and explorers."