Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #29
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
I think these specialty cars Z/28, XLE, ZL1 (Mustang GT500 included) are more for advertising and brand bragging than real world driving (streets/roads/highways-not tracks). This Z28 is 3,820 pounds dry, I read all the silly things they did just to cut 8 pounds here and eight pounds there. A greater weight reduction is achieved by removing the spare tire and jack from a GT and that does not raise the price. This euro assessment is accurate. There are some enviable things about camaro, but weight and size are not two of them. The Z28 is a track performer by overkill engine and tires. It is likely a gas hog on the road and a summer car only. In interest of fair disclosure I think the Mustang GT500 is in the same place. The Boss 302, while not matching the power numbers and track numbers is a far better street driving man's machine than GT500 Z28 XLE or ZL1. It is more balanced, more responsive, more efficient, and more fun than any of these bad boy brutes. Chevy mimics all the Mustang derivations. The Z28 answers the Boss 302. I think it misses. You can make an army tank fast, but it is still an army tank.
You honestly think a BOSS 302 is a better STREET driving car than a ZL-1? Go play in traffic with a BOSS and an automatic ZL-1 and let me know how that plays out. Hit a few potholes and bumps during a corner too. The BOSS is a high winding screamer that begs for 5k+rpm and a smooth track ahead.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #30
edco
Account Suspended

Drives: 07gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
You honestly think a BOSS 302 is a better STREET driving car than a ZL-1? Go play in traffic with a BOSS and an automatic ZL-1 and let me know how that plays out. Hit a few potholes and bumps during a corner too. The BOSS is a high winding screamer that begs for 5k+rpm and a smooth track ahead.
Not according to major auto mag test driver reviews. Or Jay Leno!
My apologies for getting the Camaro badges wrong. Is it 1LE?
I learn about Camaros from this website which is a great site.
I don't see a lot of high end camaros so I confused the badge acronyms.
I am not saying a single one of them is a bad car including the GT500.
I just think the high end stuff sits in garages and don't drive much.
I see them when they are for sale, like three years old with 3500 odometer miles.
What is that about? I am not a big fan of the factory premium models. They are over done
and for the buck too little fun.

Last edited by edco; 06-09-2014 at 06:56 PM.
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #31
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
Umm.. no. Do you even know what a 1LE is? That will destroy the Boss 302. The Z/28 answers to nothing that Ford has in the stable.

As to the more balanced comment. You clearly have not driven a ZL1 with the magnetic suspension. Otherwise you would not make such a comment.

Oh and BTW, who is coming out with a IRS this year? Would that be the Mustang? But how can that be if the Camaro has IRS and mimics Ford. oh and btw, next gen stangs are heavier.. 300lbs heavier. Enjoy!

Sorry, but 3 1LE encounters so far and I have yet to be destroyed.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #32
WelderNut

Drives: 12 1ss/rs hurst car black
07 gt look out. Dont talk corners with a mustang guy its impossible to win.
WelderNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #33
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
This has turned into Mustang vs. Camaro and it's hilarious.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #34
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Doesn't it always?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #35
edco
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Agree. We have much in common, despite driving competing cars.
I like the forum and the driver/owners posting here. We all spent a
lot of money and we all bought American.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #36
crusher

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs.
I use to enjoy Top Gear...until they compared the camaro ss to a nearly double the price Mercedes. What a crock...you would think they'd compare two cars that someone might be trying to decide between buying. The more I watched the more the unfair comparison pissed me off. I didn't see the Z/28 comparison but can imagine the crap being spewed by the oversized blowfish. Ironically, the little fellow preferred it over the Mercedes!
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #37
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I didn't see a Stig Power Lap time with the story. I am hoping the next series they actually have a Z/28 and a C7 Z06 to test.
Do you mean Z/28 to test against the C7 Z06? If so, why? The Z/28 & C7 Z06 (w/Z07 complete race/track package) are in two separate leagues. I love the Z/28 but I really dont think it will be much of a comparo between the two.
I meant exactly what I said. I would like to see a power lap in the Z/28 and a power lap in the C7 Z06. I love both cars and I would like to see where they fall against other vehicles they have tested on the Top Gear test track. I love the show but I know that the hosts don't especially like or appreciate this type of vehicle and I would like to see both cars embarrass some of their much more expensive competitors. Both of those cars are going to be punching well above their weight class I just want to see by how much.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #38
ThaCamaroKid

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
I think these specialty cars Z/28, XLE, ZL1 (Mustang GT500 included) are more for advertising and brand bragging than real world driving (streets/roads/highways-not tracks). This Z28 is 3,820 pounds dry, I read all the silly things they did just to cut 8 pounds here and eight pounds there. A greater weight reduction is achieved by removing the spare tire and jack from a GT and that does not raise the price. This euro assessment is accurate. There are some enviable things about camaro, but weight and size are not two of them. The Z28 is a track performer by overkill engine and tires. It is likely a gas hog on the road and a summer car only. In interest of fair disclosure I think the Mustang GT500 is in the same place. The Boss 302, while not matching the power numbers and track numbers is a far better street driving man's machine than GT500 Z28 XLE or ZL1. It is more balanced, more responsive, more efficient, and more fun than any of these bad boy brutes. Chevy mimics all the Mustang derivations. The Z28 answers the Boss 302. I think it misses. You can make an army tank fast, but it is still an army tank.
The Z/28 does not weigh 3,820 dry. It weighs 3,820 curb. Lighter than the Shelby, partially due to the lack of supercharger BUT it also has IRS.

And as far as the Boss 302 goes, its great, for a Mustang. However we have seen that a 1LE can and has beat a Boss 302 LS on the track. A 1LE, which is simply a SS with a few changes. It still has less power, more weight, and it has less aggressive tires.

So if you want something that is better for 'daily' but will still hand a 302 its ass, just get a 1LE lol...

375RWHP/399RWTQ
ThaCamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #39
edco
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post
The Z/28 does not weigh 3,820 dry. It weighs 3,820 curb. Lighter than the Shelby, partially due to the lack of supercharger BUT it also has IRS.

And as far as the Boss 302 goes, its great, for a Mustang. However we have seen that a 1LE can and has beat a Boss 302 LS on the track. A 1LE, which is simply a SS with a few changes. It still has less power, more weight, and it has less aggressive tires.

So if you want something that is better for 'daily' but will still hand a 302 its ass, just get a 1LE lol...
Good post, let me school myself about 1LE, I only read the intro on this site,
and that was some time ago.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #40
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
I love car shows but can't watch Top Gear, or Fifth Gear - they just can't ever say anything good about an American car. In fact, I've even watched shows where they'd praise everything about a non-US car then comment on things like the "dreadful American transmission" that it might have. They're clearly biased so I choose to not watch or put much faith in their opinions/reviews.

Wheeler Dealers is, I think, the only UK car show that seems to praise and condemn a car based on it's actual merits instead of it's nationality.
Euro Snobs. Wheeler Dealers is as you say.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #41
edco
Account Suspended

My memory is not too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post

OK CamaroKid, I did a refresh of my recollections about 1LE v Boss 302
and here are the web page links:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...le-motown-mile
http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...let_camaro_1le
http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...stang_boss_302

I respect both cars. I do not see the test supporting your position but you get to come back with the other side and other info.
The 1LE specs are on the left and the Boss 302 are on the right.
You straightened me out that the 1LE answers the Boss 302 and not the Z28.
However, I still stand by my earlier comment that the Boss 302 is a better street machine than a Z28. Let me have it.

PS. The spec sheets are from the motorweek website.
Attached Images

Last edited by edco; 06-09-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #42
captain2slow

Drives: '14 2SS
Top Gear Review...

this is goood...
captain2slow is offline   Reply With Quote